TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DG O series slip on and jet kit coming from Procycle, other than finding the right jet ( and does anyone already know which jet size works best?) is there any modifications that i need to do to the air box? thanks.....

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It helps if we know the year of the bike at least. And we always like to know a little about you and where you are from if you feel like sharing.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
All depends on your altitude. The stock air box breaths pretty well. But if you feel you "Need" to, open it up a little "Before" jetting your carb.

Like Tommy said, What year bike (as carb and jet sizes are different for different years. Pre or Post 2001?), and what state your in? This will let us know in order to help you in more detail from people in your area and altitude. How far above sea level determines what jets are likely to be correct due to air density.....:)
Don't expect performance improvement from the exhaust. IF any, it's from the jetting. 4-stroke engines do not have or need tuned exhaust like 2-strokes. So don't expect any. Little if any.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback! My TW is a 2001, and I'm in Northeast Arkansas (edge of the Delta and Ozarks). I'm a long time " Big Bike Harley rider" and about a year ago got into Mountain biking. This is where I found trails that are also good for adventure riding so I bought my TW. I am 1 of 5 local MTB riders that have all got TW's now. The years range from '87-2009. We are all customizing them to our own personalities and trying to figure out whats the best configuration for performance. This forum has been VERY helpful as I have already put a 15 tooth front sprocket and Golden Boy front tire on as a result of reading other posts..... Procycle's suggestion for increased air flow is removing the top snorkel and boring that hole out 3x bigger or removing the side panel and running K&N filter. Any remarks about these options?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is carbon fiber wrap. I'm fairly sure it is going to hold up on the side panels, but I'm not sure about the front fender........The rest of the bike is Anthracite Grey Plasti Dip.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I personally would not run with side cover off? If side cover is off, then why drill out top? Doesn't make sense at all. I also don't like K&N filters for dirt. Dust will kill that way overpriced K&N filter. I'd keep the side cover on, drill out the top opening, and run a 2 stage UNI filter. It's a foam filter like the stock filter, with a 2nd layer of more open cell foam which acts as a pre-filter. Make sure it's oiled with foam filter oil, not just any oil. Foam filter oil is super tacky, and really collects dirt, and super fine dust, before letting it through the filter. These foam filters are very easy to clean. Best way to oil them is, place your washed and dried filter in a plastic zip lock freezer bag. Spray foam filter oil on it, and a good amout. Then squeeze the bag working the oil into every inch of the filter. The bag will make a messy job neat, and reusing the bag saves you from waisting oil. Then really squeeze out excess oil. Before installing filter back in airbox, wipe a coat of grease around the lip sealing edge where filter meets the airbox to seal it from letting dirt, dust, by. If your riding alone, you shouldn't have dust issues. But when riding with others, it can get pretty dusty at times, so clean that filter after every dusty ride. I have a few filters, all oiled up, in zip-lock bags, ready to go. Very easy to swap filters real quick when it's really dusty. This way, I'll clean, dry, bag and oil them all at once, whenever I have time. I always clean with hot water and Dawn dish soap. Cuts grease and oil very well, and will not harm foam filters. They will last many years. They're about $7 bucks.

K&N filters are great for clean enviroment like street riding, but don't do well for dirt......;)

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
I personally would not run with side cover off? If side cover is off, then why drill out top? Doesn't make sense at all. I also fon't like K&N filters for dirt. Dust will kill that way overpriced K&N filter. I'd keep the side cover on, drill out the top opening, and run a 2 stage UNI filter. It's a foam filter like the stock filter, with a 2nd layer of more open cell foam which acts as a pre-filter. Make sure it's oiled with foam filter oil, not just any oil. Foam filter oil is super tacky, and really collects dirt, and super fine dust, before letting it through the filter. These foam filters are very easy to clean. Best way to oil them is, place your washed and dried filter in a plastic zip lock freezer bag. Spray foam filter oil on it, and a good amout. Then squeeze the bag working the oil into every inch of the filter. The bag will make a messy job neat, and reusing the bag saves you from waisting oil. Then really squeeze out excess oil. Before installing filter back in airbox, wipe a coat of grease around the lip sealing edge where filter meets the airbox to seal it from letting dirt, dust, by. If your riding alone, you shouldn't have dust issues. But when riding with others, it can get pretty dusty at times, so clean that filter after every dusty ride. I have a few filters, all oiled up, in zip-lock bags, ready to go. Very easy to swap filters real quick when it's really dusty. This way, I'll clean, dry, bag and oil them all at once, whenever I have time. I always clean with hot water and Dawn dish soap. Cuts grease and oil very well, and will not harm foam filters. They will last many years. They're about $7 bucks.

K&N filters are great for clean enviroment like street riding, but don't do well for dirt......;)
Excellent write up Bob.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Altering the stock air box in the search for performance would be a mistake. The TW isn't like a DRZ400 where the 3x3 mod and jetting net you a measurable gain. The bike is a two wheeled tractor. Unless you're going the bigger capacity route, you're best learning to enjoy the bike for what it is. Just my .02

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a DG O series slip on and jet kit coming from Procycle, other than finding the right jet ( and does anyone already know which jet size works best?) is there any modifications that i need to do to the air box? thanks.....
I also run a DG pipe and got my jet kit from ProCycle. I went with their suggested baseline jets and my bike runs awesome. You will get a little instruction guide with your kit. I'm not a carb expert so I went with their advice and its great. The only difference I did was add 2 needle shims. Either way, go with what they recommend till your feeling spunky and want tot try changing stuff up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also run a DG pipe and got my jet kit from ProCycle. I went with their suggested baseline jets and my bike runs awesome. You will get a little instruction guide with your kit. I'm not a carb expert so I went with their advice and its great. The only difference I did was add 2 needle shims. Either way, go with what they recommend till your feeling spunky and want tot try changing stuff up.

Same here. Including two washers under the needle. I installed the quiet insert because it was anti social without it. It's lighter than stock and the bike has great throttle response with the new jetting. It doesn't need more air though and it MIGHT have gained 1-2hp. Mostly I just notice the improved throttle response at smaller throttle openings. I'm not convinced the DG makes any difference other than a slight weight saving. The real difference was gained from 10 cents worth of washers and a new main jet.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Do yourself a favor and return the "performance" pipe. Your time and effort would be better spent on other improvements
that will make a difference. Shimming the needle and an improved front tire. If you need to go faster, get a different bike.
Noisy pipes serve to irritate those around you and make money for suppliers.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I bought my 2010 with the same pipe on it only because the bike was a steal but I hate that pipe. If anyone in my area wants to swap for a stock muffler just let me know.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I bought my 2010 with the same pipe on it only because the bike was a steal but I hate that pipe. If anyone in my area wants to swap for a stock muffler just let me know.
I'd love trade you. But I'm not local.....:( Are you willing to ship?....:) I sent you a PM.

I've been trying to get one I can afford for a while now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts