TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah it is loud.im pretty sure my kx450f is 98db. he mentions an available quiet insert available for extra $$$ i wonder how much extra

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want it to be loud. My T Dub is street only @ this point. Believe me, a loud pipe keeps the deer more likely to stay off to the side. I've seen it countless times. Around here, it's noticeable how many more quiet cars and trucks are victims of deer strike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would you require a jet change with this? How loud is the average TW without this MOD with the stock parts?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scott, Yes. You can pretty much count on some carb adjustment. My TW is painfully lean. Its brand new. Its a Cal model. Opening up the exhaust will only exasperate the issue.

As soon as my break in is over, I'm putting a slip on on it, and jetting it. I KNOW it will run better. has too. They choke the piss out of 'em in Cal now.

Bobbaluey, Thanks for guinea pigging! LOL!! Im sure it will be great. I had a DG exhaust on my Quadracer back in '88. Was quality.

Ride on.

John.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Other than the cool look factor and the noise increase can anyone tell me if there is any noticable power increase?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sooooooooo, I put it on 'cause I couldn't wait for the jet kit to arrive and went to the Bishop Ca. area to ride with my Brother appx 4000ft at valley floor and rode to appx 7000ft level repeatedly. The verdict so far is, noticible throttle response and power increase without rejetting ...yet. Pulled the plug in between rides and It didn't look any different than with stock exhaust.(still too light tan for my liking) Now some of this may be atributable to the elevation, but I don't really know.

prior to rejetting, I plan on removing the snorkle from the air box but thats it.

As for noise, yes it is louder but acceptable with the quiet core insert. without, think, your kids bike. a loud and throaty roar that rattled the windows of the house on testing in the drive way. I had to make a hi-temp gasket material "washer" to go between the quiet core and tail piece, as the part provided was Too thick and without it the pipe made an unacceptable rattling noise. I'll keep you all informed of the final out come.

P.S. it does look really cool!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 93 and it has a TK carb, 114 main jet. What size jet do i need for this slip on. The local dealer says i have to go after market. Anyone?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sooooo, after much on/off of the tank,seat,ride it, repete, this my final analysis;

The snorkle was a [email protected]&*h to get out if you don't want to almost remove the airbox/battery first, but is doable if you plan never to put it back.

Two shims under the needle, and a 0.059 dia. hole drilled in the needle holder per instructions.

Believe it or not the stock #126 main jet worked best with Mr.Sparkplug agreeing, and 0 backfires. still gonna try a #128 just for grins. At 2500'elevation the #130 and #135 main jets were just too rich and caused random intermittant dead spots when jumping on the throttle.

throttle response was much improved as was power througthout. I don't know if a dyno would prove me right but now my little pony will haul my 325lb A$$ at 60mph on the flat slabs with about 1/3 throttle to left to go, where it struggled to keep 60 full throttle.

Its a little louder than I'd prefer, but it sounds cool,for what thats worth.

In the end, I'd say that all things being a comprimise, the DG slip on with the carb work is worth the money.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I almost forgot, I purchased a jet "kit" from an outfit called 6sigmajet kits on ebay for about $40 delivered. If your like me with limited to bolt on stuff due to lack of garage space or a novice, buy this kit. The kit comes with complete instructions for the specific bike,jets,shims,and even the proper size drill bits where needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts