TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Diaper Trails - Oops, I crapped my pants!

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  WAGmore 
#1 ·
Post some of your pictures or videos of some gnarly singletrack or 2 track trails where you almost crapped your pants (or maybe you did)!:p If you would, post a little narrative of the situation and outcome!

I will start.

Daggett Creek Trail, Boise Idaho

After riding through a rocky creek trail for a couple miles, the trail climbed up out of the creek drainage. I didn't make it! The grade was too steep in this deep rut. If I would'a had my handsaw or my shovel I would have bushwhacked or dug my way around . You can see I tried to go up on the left of the ruts but my stock tire just spun in the loose dirt. If I had made it past this point I was home free to ride the rest of the trail. In the end, I retreated and headed back the way I came.

There was a go around, but it too was a no go! The rut was just too deep & narrow for the TW

And the diaper moment.

After retreating, I tried a different steep trail but caught my leg on the tip of a downed pine tree. Well, you can see the result of that try. I finally gave up all hope and rode the same way out I came in on.

Mrs. Admiral pre-TW days on the ATV. Coming down a jeep trail in the foothills above the Weiser Sand Dunes. Not only was it steep, but a nice rut was thrown in for the good measure. I had to help steady the ATV so she could turn the wheels and steady her down past this nastiness. Once past here we enjoyed the rest of the day riding around.

Kind of looks like a 4-wheel saddle bronc rider!

See less See more
#5 ·
Ain't nothin like Admiral's ruts but I occasionally have my moments. Here the I tip over harmlessly enough turning around after Duro fails to cross a churned silt buried rut. No diaper moment, just apprehension as I'm going over about possible injury.

#6 ·
No apprehension here, just embarrassment. I try to tell myself we all have our "oops" moments but this was just inexcusably sloppy. I've strafed these single track switchbacks dozens of times with never a problem. This day I had the stock rear tire with street gearing and it just wasn't the same coming out of turn four.:p Complacency caught up with me.

#8 · (Edited)
Mike sure caught me falling over just leaning on poor ol' suffering Betty Boop. I tend to do that. I did get a nifty badge from mhomadness and some scabs as souvineers of the Joemama's last Group Ride.:p
Here is a pucker factor of mind over matter the other year near headwaters of Stanislaus River, California. Camped a mile away I wandered here initially too late in the day to try this section so returned the next morning fortified with fresh brewed coffee, a full day's provisions and gave it a go. The first fifteen feet or so ofsteep and smooth is no problem, it is the turns and lumpy bits that cause fear of a low speed hi-side. Camera doesn't show but this whole mess is hung on a prestty respectable slope with maybe 30 ft vertical between where I dropped in and end of boulder field at video's end.

#15 ·
fred,
i watch this again 3 months later and swear it's your proximity to all those sierra passes the wagon trains had issues on... something in your dna.
your rides look like you need black and tackle, poor betty your well used mule!
Horse Line art Line Mane

#9 · (Edited)
A lot of rides have some technical moments when deviating from the trail is certainly not recommended. I want to ride, not drag mis-behaving machinery back uphill...am getting too old for that.
Need a young pup like Adam-in-Nevada in the following video. Notice how his almost stock TW nimbly handles a pretty steep trail with a couple good challenges. Trail has no recent tracks to guide him and he has never been on that trail before. Not bad. These bikes with their low center of gravity and gyroscopic meaty tires can go lots of places if you get 'em going and keep 'em going with a reasonable amount of momentum. Takes a quick eye and sense of commitment, but that is half the fun of motorcycling anyways, right? ;)

Adam is the only guy I know able to dent his Ricochet skid plate. Lord knows I've tried with mine...somewhere have a clip of me repeatedly trying to wheelie over a trail-blocking boulder only to have the tire slip and smash bash plate on the granite again and again.

Note: When I first pioneered this trail years ago on a borrowed Honda Reflex ( a street legal trials bike ) I had some pucker factor crossing from one side of drainage to the other. Had doubts too first time I tried it on the TW.

#10 ·
fred,
i swear you're part mt goat.... some of the trails you call home turf have pucker factor at 11+.

always enjoy your videos and appreciate the effort to get them posted.
ride on!

#11 ·
I agree with you joeband! Even if he didn't think they were diaper moments I did. Especially the "Ladder" and "Granite Mtn trail" videos. Yeah, both those trails look gnarly for sure. Thanks for posting Fred!!!

#12 ·
By dropping into first and crawling along Betty Boop leads me to all sorts of interesting places. When solo I try to avoid obvious diaper dumping stuff but sometimes it is neccessary.
The Ladder had a bypass I have taken fellow T-Dubbers on but it has been closed on my last visit meaning no easy way back other than a 40 mile loop unless one wishes to climb the Ladder.

Here is the scenic bypass power company workers bull-dozed closed with mega-boulders during my last visit.:( Ladder dumps out at entrance to second water crossing. Infinitely easier than the Ladder!

#13 ·
One more...here the single track is just plain fun until I see where trail will fall off into a long canyon committing us to whatever lies ahead for the next 8 miles until arriving at American River Canyon thousands of feet to our north. Fearing serious Diaper Dumping terrain ahead I insist we turn around. Fearless Adam wanted to proceed...I mumbled something about discretion being the better part of cowardliness or some such.:)

...so we took this easier road instead as there was still another 40 miles of riding planned

#17 ·
Joe, gotta get you up here for an easier ride sometime.
Something like this, a portion of one of the many emmigrant wagon train routes over the Sierras that is not too challenging today. This was a spur off the Carson Pass pioneered by Kit Carson and General Freemont on a military expedition to wave the flag in the faces of the Spanish, English, French and Russians back in the 1840's. The spur road later serviced one of several abandoned mining towns called "Summit City" where another western legend Snowshoe Thompson delivered the mail year round. Impressive as the snow lies pretty deep here in the winter above 9,000 ft. Today the mine site lies obscured in the wilderness and is skirted by the Pacific Crest Trail.

#20 ·
Joe, gotta get you up here for an easier ride sometime.
easier?
heck no, i'd love to do the rubicon on a two day overnighter!

#18 ·
Me, Idaho Larry, and our former member RoninBoise (RIP) did the engine off tire drag down this steep and rocky decent.

Later on, Idaho Larry involuntarily inspected the hill just below this singletrack trail. He found a different way back to the trail.

We all had a few "off saddle moments" on this ride. Not all are recorded to protect or image! :p

#19 · (Edited)
Really, really nice trails Admiral. Like the way you occasionally park the on it's side to share close-ups of all those pretty wildflowers with us.

Carrying the vise grips is a brilliant idea. I can see how they could help a person limp back with broken foot peg, shifter, brake pedal, brake lever, clutch perch,clutch cable or throttle cable in addition to normal tool uses of a pair of vise grips like removing cactus spines or even turning nuts.

#22 ·
My first motorcycle, a Montessa, had two spark plug holes. Once I figured out pre-mix ratios I replaced the second spark plug with a compression release that acted like a trucker's Jake Brake allowing me to brrr,brrrr,brrrr down steep hills until I learned how to master the use of brakes. It worked very well allowing me to somehow survive those teen-age years of rambunctous inexperienced enthusiasm.

#23 · (Edited)
OK Joeband, lets do a Rubicon overnighter this coming summer after the snow melts and avoiding the Jeep and 3 Jeeper's Jamborie events. Then the county gives the clubs exclusive use via a "Parade Permit" Cost is up over $400 per person. Total perversion of the jeep ethos learned there as a kid learning to drive in simple cheep jeep IMHO.
Jeep Jamborie is August 10th-13th and the 4-day Jeeper's Jamborie starts thursday July 27th and the second 3-day Jeepers Jamborie is August 4th-7th.

Anyways Adam-in-Nevada has urged doing the Rubicon again for years. He would go. Let's do it this year. I've got the panniers and light back-pack themed gear. There are the in-and-out going halfway options beginning from either Loon Lake or Lake Tahoe, or similarly one way through trips going either way then completing a loop via why 50. Something to be said for not having to climb Cadallac Hill, nor having to negotiate Big and Little Sluiceboxes more than once each. Thus a big loop from Tahoe to Loon Lake and back via asphalt is the longest, yet easiest ride ( probably 80 miles of pavement to avoid 22 miles of Rubicon). Besides, do you really want to ride up rather than down The Little Sluice Box with a full load of camp gear slung behind you? Descending should be easier.

Just making it up Cadillac Hill if it is wet can be a challenge. I scouted up to there a few years ago and stopped where a jeep with cement and a bunch of re-bar slung underneath was doing some repair. Jeep used to donate a lot of funds to maintain the Rubicon Trail enough that it can claim it's vehicles are "Rubicon Rated" Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Enduro

#25 ·
New member, and new TW owner...
All I have for now are non TW pics...

Biggest 'oh crap' moment of last season was coming down Imogene Pass last September and having the "step" sneak up on me, I let myself roll off of it as slow as possible and bottomed out the forks on my F800GSA but rode it out.

That trip covered the southern half of the COBDR plus two full days near and around the alpine loop near silverton...

Others include finding myself in some muddy trails 'past the point of no return' solo, early season with the wrong tires... later returning when things dried up a bit with someone who shouldn't have begged me to take them there (the dirt nap pics)....

And solo rides on unfamiliar trails that take longer than expected and having to ride the last 6 miles in pitch black darkness....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.