TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Earlier this spring, a friend of mine sent me a link to a 1994 TW 200 for sale in our area. I wasn't in the market for another bike but have heard only good things about these "Tee Dubs" so I thought I'd check it out. It was pretty cheap... $600.

I ended up snapping it up and driving it around for a month or so. I loved the bike!

The day I bought the bike:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

However, I also had a laundry list of things I'd like to change, especially after finding this forum. Once the bike hit 10,000 miles on the nose and I decided that 10k miles is a good time for a complete rebuild.

• Replace street tires with knobby tires
  • Replace bent handlebars with new upgraded aluminum bars
  • Replace boxy headlight with single round or double round
  • Get rid of plastics and grind down their mounting posts
  • Remove and grind down passenger pegs
  • Upgrade to a larger tank (the XT350 tank is a direct fit)
  • Recover the red seat or find a used black seat
  • Repaint the frame and swingarm black

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm not going to go as crazy as some of these examples, but here are some custom TW 200s that I'm taking ideas from:

So the other night I fired up my air ratchet and started tearing this thing apart. As of last night, I'm down to the bare frame.

I'm going to keep this post updated with the build. Suggestions and comments are welcome!

Before:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Starting to strip the bike down:

6.jpg

7.jpg

Reactions: tcepilot

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My new rubber came in!

5.jpg

Stock rear knobby (180/80-14) and Maxxis 6006 (130/80-18) front.

dsc08699i.jpg

In-progress in my "other bay"... exhaust valve re-shim on Speed Triple:

dsc08702i.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The only running bike... 1978 CB 125:

dsc08703.jpg

Okay, now the engine is out. Easily lifted by one guy. Nice.

20.jpg

Carnage. Some of these parts will go back on the bike, many will go on eBay.

9.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates as work continues...

Reactions: tcepilot

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
April 18th, 2010

My friend came over and helped me mount up my knobbies.

That is a Maxxis 6006 front and a TW34 rear.

wheelsmounted.jpg

April 20th, 2010

I'm going minimal on this bike... no plastics. In order to prep the frame, I'm grinding down the plastic mounting posts and tabs for the airbox.

12.jpg

April 23rd, 2010

Home-style sandblasting. A few hours in the driveway with a 40 pound sandblaster, a 100 pound bag of "black beauty" and a compressor working overtime.

dsc08745l.jpg

It is seriously amazing what air pressure can do for you.

14.jpg

Frame and swingarm ready for paint!

dsc08749d.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
April 25th, 2010

Back from the powdercoater! I think he did an excellent job. Bob at Vermont Powdercoating did the work and really gave me a great deal.

18.jpg

19.jpg

May 3rd, 2010

The engine was originally gray in color. It was also heavily scratched. I decided to clean it up and use some black enamel engine paint on it.

21.jpg

May 6th, 2010

Someone on the TW200 forums found that the shock from a Yamaha Blaster is a direct fit for the TW, but 2 inches taller.

This will really jack the rear end of the bike up once mounted. The only problem was that the bushing was far too lose. I had a machinist friend bore me the perfect bushing and press it in for me.

The shock was $8 on eBay and the machining work cost me a case of Miller High Life (hey, his choice!).

22.jpg

Current status:

23.jpg

Stay tuned for sprockets, chain and wheels!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No more dates as they're all blending together on me...

Had to get rid of all of those nasty stripped JIS head bolts. Ordered up a set of SS hex head bolts. Of course a few were missing.

So much bling! I'm ballin.

25.jpg

Sprocket time. I'm a fan of having more teeth to spread the load. Upping from the stock 14t to a 15t up front.

frontsprocket.jpg

The rear goes from stock 50t to a new 55t. The overall gear difference is slightly lower than stock.

27.jpg

I've heard good things about this vinyl spray so I gave it a shot.

seat.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The original steering bearings were loose ball bearings and the feel was notchy. I decided to upgrade to some tapered bearings. Packed 'em with grease and punched 'em on.

30.jpg

Also decided to powder coat the triple trees. They were looking a little ragged, so why not?

stemd.jpg

Now that I've got trees, I can mount my forks and bars!

32.jpg

33.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was getting tired of bringing things to the powder coater so I started doing a little research on what it would take to do it at home. It turns out that you don't need much technology to powder coat in the comfort of your own garage!

On Friday, I picked up the last thing I needed to give this a go... a sandblast cabinet (Craigslist find). This antique is homemade but it works amazingly well and can fit semi-large items, unlike many of the bench top models.

36.jpg

Turned these...

37.jpg

Into...

35426404359536585500061.jpg

Now into the cardboard box for application of high voltage powder with $60 Eastwood powder coating gun. It looks gray, but it's semi-gloss black. There are zillions of colors available.

35426404359541585500061.jpg

Into the a free Craigslist oven (cracked glass top) for 25 minutes at 400 degrees and the brackets ready for another 20 years of dirt roads.

42.jpg

Honestly, this was about $150 invested in tools including the sandblaster, free oven and Eastwood Hot Coat powder coating gun from eBay.

The process is also pretty stupid-proof. I highly recommend it if you have the need and the space!

·
Registered
46 Posts
This thread rules!!!

Thanks for all the pics, Cat!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This thread rules!!!

Thanks for all the pics, Cat!

Thanks N8! I had this thread started on the old forum and thought I'd re-start it here. I'm kinda bummed that we're limited to only a certain number of photos per post, hence the many posts to start the thread.

I've actually done quite a bit since my last update, so I'll add more photos later today!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Catamount, Where in VT are you? I'm up In North Hyde Park near the Eden Line.

Hey there! I'm down near Burlington. Your area is beautiful... I spent more than a few summers at Mt. Norris scount camp. What year is your Tee Dubs?

Reactions: nodakdave

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
One of the problems I needed to solve after putting in a taller shock was the kickstand length. It was way too short after adding the Blaster shock.

The good news is that the OEM handlebars are the exact same outer diameter as the kickstand. I decided to weld a section of my old handlebars into the kickstand with parts of a bolt as backing.

45.jpg

46.jpg

After smoothing out the welds. It's not pretty but I'm not a welder, either.

finishedkickstand.jpg

At this point I powder coated it and put it back on the bike.

I also added a new speedometer with sweet blue back lighting. Thanks to ChopperCharles for telling me about this!

44.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This weekend I tackled the exhaust.

49.jpg

I knew I had to replace the OEM piece and I had already picked up a stainless header from a TTR-225 on eBay a while back. A couple of people have had luck with the FMF Turbine Core 2 universal pipe so I ordered one up. They run about $120.

It looks good and sounds even better! I haven't had the bike under any load yet so I can't comment on performance yet but trust the previous reports I've heard from our forum members.

50.jpg

One thing I changed was the mount. This can comes with a wrap-around hangar that covers the FMF logo when bolted up to our TWs. So I took a cutting disc to it and chopped it up. I riveted the section I was left with to the can and it looks much more clean.

ivets.jpg

Around this time I also finally fitted up a new o-ring chain to replace the very cheap OEM.

58.jpg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Back when I started this project, I started looking for headlights. I liked the Harley Sportster headlight that one of the forum members mounted up to his TW.

I ended up finding this huge headlight is from an enormous 1,600cc Victory Vegas motorcycle. I found it on eBay for $30.

When it arrived it seemed way too big, and I had no idea how I was going to mount it to the bike.

After playing with some angle iron and my welder, I came up with a bracket that I've now powder coated.

The mount looks bent because of the wide-angle lens.

52.jpg

The headlight used to live there...

53.jpg

...and now it lives here!

fromtheside.jpg

At first I thought it just looked too big, but it's grown on me. I think the large proportion goes well with the large proportion of the lugs on the front tire.

headlightx.jpg

The chrome bucket goes with the chrome speedometer as well.

cockpit.jpg

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Looks great so far. I'm looking forward to your next segment. What handle bars are those (type/bend)?

1 - 20 of 137 Posts