TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was....interesting. I was riding the scenic country backroads and spent a little time on the highway and then headed home. My speeds were 45-60 mph over a 70+ mile adventure and when I turned off onto the grass to ride the TW home, my chain popped off! Just like that! I have 1804 miles on my bike. Did the chain overheat and stretch? Is it a lower quality chain from the factory? I won't be riding it anymore until the chain is replaced, but with what brand?

I noticed before the ride that there was a reddish brown residue neat the kickstand area, but I thought it was gravel road residue and possibly chain grease mixed together. So was that an indication that bad juju was going to visit my chain?:hororr:

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
1800 miles -- Did you oil the chain when you got the bike (zero miles ) and did you clean and oil it every 300 to 400 miles afterwards? Say 5 to 6 times? No one does on the new OEM chain and then everybody complains how crappy it is.

Reddish brown sounds like rust. Sounds like new chain time. Maybe new sprockets too. Get an o-ring chain. They are low maintenance. NOT no maintenance, but low maintenance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elime, I didn't oil the chain and haven't cleaned or oiled it yet. :confused3:I did give my bike a bath after each run on gravel....so yes, I need to replace the chain. I'll look into the o-ring chain. Thank you for your prompt reply.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Elime, I didn't oil the chain and haven't cleaned or oiled it yet. :confused3:
Better learn to do that with your new chain or you will be buying one every 6 months. That constitutes abuse as you just learned the hard way. There are dozens of threads here on chain maintenance, read up!

Any time you give the bike a bath you should lubricate the chain immediately, O-ring or stock. Most of us don't wash our bikes unless we get into mud for that exact reason. I just wet an old washrag and wipe it down here and there as needed and towel it dry. For a dusty chain I wet a rag with kerosene and run the chain through it five or so revolutions. When you get an O-ring chain this becomes merely cosmetic. Lubricating an O-ring chain is all about keeping the O-rings in good shape....nothing on the outside of the plates will have any effect on chain wear....mine is still fine at 11,000 miles.

My chain maintenance takes about 3 minutes every 100 miles. Prop up the rear wheel, spin the tire and shoot some DuPont Chain Saver Teflon on the chain, spin it a few more times and you are good. No oil to get all over your rear tire or pant legs....it's great stuff.

Only every 800 miles or so do I do a real careful clean with kerosene, a toothbrush and compressed air, with some cardboard pieces to keep the mess contained. I haven't had my chain off in 9,000 miles with this regimen.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elime, another question. What oil do you recommend for the chain lube? The TW is my very first motorbike and I'm learning.....apparently the hard way. :(

Littletommy, I will.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Cruising along at that speed for several miles with no maintenance would make it heat up and wear quickly. I would imagine it stretched enough to be able to come off without having any adjustments.

Do check out your sprockets, especially the front one as it turns several times more than the back on. If there is any wear on the rear it will be 4 times worse on the front. If the stock set up works for you with the 14 50, for longer chain life go with a 15 55 and an o ring chain. Your bike will be much happier.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Elime, another question. What oil do you recommend for the chain lube? The TW is my very first motorbike and I'm learning.....apparently the hard way. :(

Littletommy, I will.
dirtgirl -- Years ago I learned this lesson the same way you just did. A lot of people on this forum have. Live and learn.

I use 140 wt gear oil. It is messy. It is also to late for your chain. The damage is done. For you, get an o-ring chain and do as Littletommy and RockyTFS say. Good luck.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah Id say new chain and sprockets. Don't want to be stuck again. A o-ring chain will be a good upgrade. I use just regular motor oil on my chains for years and never had any problems. Just make sure to use it when you chain looks dry every few weeks 2-3. Or more depends on how much you ride and how much you clean your bike. A good suggestion to help with the new chain. To make it easy to see if you have lubed the chain all the way, when you first install it paint the outside of 1 link with a bright color that way when you rotate it you will see that you gone all the way around :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cruising along at that speed for several miles with no maintenance would make it heat up and wear quickly....If there is any wear on the rear it will be 4 times worse on the front. If the stock set up works for you with the 14 50, for longer chain life go with a 15 55 and an o ring chain. Your bike will be much happier.
Thank you, Plumbstraight. I was so diligent in changing the engine oil every 300 miles for the first 1000 miles that I forgot about the chain! I guess I assumed it was lubed well from the factory, or that the dealership mechanics treated it with every oil change. I was wrong~and I'm paying for it.

The chain is a pain.
You betcha! If only the TW was shaft driven.....sigh...

I use 140 wt gear oil. It is messy. It is also to late for your chain. The damage is done. For you, get an o-ring chain and do as Littletommy and RockyTFS say. Good luck.
I am bracing for the "What the heck??..." discussion point that will be raised by the local independent motorcycle mechanic when I drop it off to him. I'm going to need a Twix.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
119 Posts
1800 miles without oiling?!?! and washing your chain with water after every gravel ride? Your lucky it lasted that long, you must oil it each time after you clean it or it will start to grind, rust and then break pretty quickly.

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts