TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 2012 tw's, mine has 3000 miles, the wifes has 900 miles. I just purchased two 428v did chains for $92 shipped on ebay, wich seemed like a pretty good deal. I have read on this forum that the sprockets should be changed with the chain. The sprockets don't seem to be worn that badly to me. What would you do? I am sure I could make it till spring on the stock chain, but it does require alot of adjustment.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I have two 2012 tw's, mine has 3000 miles, the wifes has 900 miles. I just purchased two 428v did chains for $92 shipped on ebay, wich seemed like a pretty good deal. I have read on this forum that the sprockets should be changed with the chain. The sprockets don't seem to be worn that badly to me. What would you do? I am sure I could make it till spring on the stock chain, but it does require alot of adjustment.

Change the sprocket with a new chain..............stay with the "old" chain and sprockets until spring....unless of course they are trashed!.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just bought the same chain recently and havent installed it either. I have almost 6000 miles on mine and my sprockets look pretty good. I am tempted to not change my sprockets but while im at it now is the time to do it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
From what I understand not changing the sprockets will cut your chain life roughtly in half. Sprockets are pretty cheap and not that hard to change. The front one is kind of a pain in the ass because of having to pull the side cover off.

·
Registered
69 Posts
if the sprockets look good then it will not hurt the new chain. if the sprockets are worn then the life of the new chain will be shortened. this is the case with any chain and sprocket set for anything. as chains stretch the pitch gets longer, as the pitch gets longer the sprockets wear to compensate. if you install a new chain on sprockets with a longer pitch then the chain will much more rapidly wear to fit the sprockets.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I wouldnt worry about putting new sprockets on the bike with 900 miles but i would at least inspect the front sprocket on the 3,000 mile bike then go from

There.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts