TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TW has one key that operates the ignition and the helmet lock. Then it has a different key for the gas cap. Was this a thing, or did a previous owner replace the gas cap (or whole tank?)

I went into my local locksmith to get spares made since I was only given one set with the bike. The ILCO number, if any of you care, is X118 or YH49 for my ignition switch and helmet lock. It's got an extra keyway and is more complex than the gas cap key.

The gas cap key is ILCO number X120 or YH46.

I'm trying to figure out if the keys changed over the years and I managed to get a gas cap from an older or newer bike and if factory bikes have only one key that operates both the ignition and gas cap.

Photo of both keys

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Well ours came with the same key for both locks....... They are 06s.. I went to my local hardware and they cut me extra's. Good luck. OMM.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
there is a guy online that sells you the blanks. depending on the model, there were at least 4 different blanks that are not interchangeable.

check the grooves and length carefully. i speak from experience.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My key copies are both working fine. I'm thinking about removing the tumbler pins from the gas cap lock because I'm not worried about people throwing sugar in there or anything.

Thanks for shedding light on the mystery.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
My key copies are both working fine. I'm thinking about removing the tumbler pins from the gas cap lock because I'm not worried about people throwing sugar in there or anything.

Thanks for shedding light on the mystery.

i was unable to get the core out, as i wanted to swap it with another cap. what i ended up doing was taking off the two locking slider plates that engage with the key. now it works fine with no locking action.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Removing the locking feature of the fuel cap was easier than I could have imagined. Also nice that you can reinstall the feature later just as easily.
unless you take apart all the parts with the intention of removing the core and not putting it back together.....

·
Registered
736 Posts
mine has 2 keys...the gas cap deal is kinda inconvenient,tho

annddd....got the bike inspected today!!!!! we had some late winter plus I was out of the country awhile, finally got in today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts