TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stating the obvious, while not paying attention at the pump, about 3/4 of a tank of diesel was pumped in to the tank. I drove it about half a mile b4 realizing it, drained it, changed the plug, now it only starts w full choke and runs terrible. I never had to choke it b4 and it ran great. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
you're most likely going to have to flush out the carb. did you open the bowl drain and let some gas flow through? do you have a fuel filter that should be changed? i would think that diesel being heavier may have blocked some of the small passages. and welcome to the forum

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome!! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
It will run rough and smoke like a very smoky thing that smokes until you get that diesel flushed through the carb — but — it won’t hurt the engine

The tank will probably benefit from a couple of flushes — and you should discard / replace any in-line fuel filters you have

That just leaves the carb, and you can take your choice of the many products out there to clean / flush the thing through

You will probably have to run the engine for a couple of tank fulls before you are completely rid of it (sticky stuff), but you can do so without concern — bit embarrassing, but hardly terminal

Change / clean the plug while you’re going through this — it’ll help a lot

Welcome to the board ……. ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Neighbor drives a fuel truck and tells me that they don't flush the tank between products. That 5 gallons disappears in 1000 gallons. In fact we used to put 5 gallons of motor oil in 1000 gallons of JP5 for lubrication. Drain the diesel and start running clean gas. It will smoke but wont hurt anything. A little top oil won't hurt, people have been adding Marvel Mystery oil to the top of motors for years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did pretty much everything purple suggested right at the get go, I used sea foam in the fuel for a cleaner. Maybe I'll try to fill the carb w it and let it soak a bit b4 draining. Otherwise....patience is a virtue, right? Thanks for the welcome, glad I found this site.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think it is worth mentioning that draining the tank will leave a good bit if not set on reserve while doing so, even doing so will leave a small amount but I would think a tank draining set on reserve, flush another little bit more through again and drain the carb and it would be good to go.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Since you got all the advice on how to fix this already I have just one thought that I am sure you have already considered. Think before you pump!

Just 3 days ago while filling my 4 Runner I watched a woman having a hard time pumping her own fuel at the pump on the other side of me but did not pay too much attention until I was done and going in to pay. The diesel nozzle is larger than those on the gas pumps and it does not fit into most gasoline fill holes on cars. This woman was fighting and spraying diesel all over her car and herself and had pumped about 6 gallons of diesel into her gas tank. I finally informed her of her mistake and she about bit my head off. After finishing my errands in town while driving back home the woman was on the side of the road being picked up by the AAA tow truck flat bed.
Diesel in a fuel injected gas engine just does not work and I bet that will cost her a fat repair bill unlike the simple drain and clean you have to do.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Gary your story reminds me of when my wife had a diesel VW Jetta. She got used to people yelling STOP, STOP while she fueled it at the diesel pump.
My cousin had a diesel Jetta and loved it. Great fuel mileage for sure but probably the noisiest car I ever rode in. I had a nice F-250 with the 7.3 international diesel engine and loved it but hated the truck. Damn, a simple oil change took 4 gallons. Glad I never tried gas in it because I bet the engine would blow right up through the hood.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have the 2000 F-250 with the gas engine. I wish I had the 7.3 but the 5.4 has been absolutely bullet proof. At 18 years old and only 105,000 miles I hope it will be around for a while. My wife had the newer TDI so it was fairly quiet. She had the automatic transmission which was a disaster, it failed twice under warranty and once after, ouch. The transmission went at 50,000, almost exactly 100,000 and almost exactly 150,000.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have the 2000 F-250 with the gas engine. I wish I had the 7.3 but the 5.4 has been absolutely bullet proof. At 18 years old and only 105,000 miles I hope it will be around for a while. My wife had the newer TDI so it was fairly quiet. She had the automatic transmission which was a disaster, it failed twice under warranty and once after, ouch. The transmission went at 50,000, almost exactly 100,000 and almost exactly 150,000.
Mine was a 2002 F-250 and I traded it in with 60,000 miles but the frame was totally rusted and because of the very heavy diesel engine I could not keep shocks or front tires on the truck. It finally developed the famous Ford Death Wobble and I traded it on a new Tacoma. Funny, my cousins Jetta blew the tranny at 60K and he traded it in for another VW model but with gas engine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts