TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as far as I know, both the TW125 and TW200 have two versions, the plasticky one with square front light, and lots of stickers, and the classy one with metallic paint, chrome round old school front light and generally a much more elegant look(jk just my opinion)... does anyone have any idea why they weren't sold as different models? Is it about the year? Or the country of origin? Anyway, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

The 125 with square headlight with plastic casing is the older models,,,unfortunately I cant remember when the design changed.

Craig

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So It's not a regional thing? Some newer models look like the square headlight ones too...

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i think the classy round headlight are japanese domestic market only, the "plasticky" square headlight ones are what everyone else gets. i love my plasticky, square headlight thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, well that's interesting! I'm from Finland so the previous owner must've imported this poor thing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The plasticky, square headlight thing, is called the "cowling" by Mr Yamaha.

As far as difference between the late 125 and the 200, there are many differences. The headlight is a 5RS headlight assembly, even the front fender is different. The rear hub and brake are different, It uses an alloy hub, instead of steel. The rear shock is different. It has lower primary (crankshaft) gearing. The 125 was actually EU only. The early model 125 was the 5EK, and while there are many differences between it and the 200, It shared the headlight cowling and rectangular headlight of the TW200, 5EK=1999-2001, 5RS=2002-2004.

Just to clarify...Yes, the round headlight version was availible in the EU, It was on the 2002-04 bikes

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Is the seat height the same on the 125 as on the 200? And would it be possible to lower one with a v-star shock like can be done with a 200?
Does a cyclerack fit a 125? How about the Clarke tank?

·
Registered
567 Posts
The tank and the rack will direct fit, the shock mods should work but the TW125 had an upgraded shock from 2001 on. So It is not quite identical to the TW200 USA shock. The seat height is very similar on both models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone know if the square headlight cowling is a universal fit for all years? I sent a PM earlier, did not realize we were limited to only 500. Sorry about that.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Does anyone know if the square headlight cowling is a universal fit for all years? I sent a PM earlier, did not realize we were limited to only 500. Sorry about that.
Just delete some of your old pm's, then you can send more.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have swapped cowlings between 2007+ bikes and the pre-2001 models. They are the same. I don't have any experience with the non-US models.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Yes, the cowling will fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts