TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching in the old archives, but it looks like that's impossible somehow.

I need to pick up a replacement ignitioin coil for my '88 project (previous owner obliterated the plug cap, and had the plug held in with electrical tape :facepalm: ), and I'm wondering if there is any functional difference between years for this thing? BikeBandit shows different part numbers ('87-97, '98+), but several eBay finds have something different (for example, '87-00). There is a significant price difference on bike bandit, and a less significant difference on eBay. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, so if the newer (cheaper) one will work, thats what I'm going with.

In other news, other fun stuff I found out with this teedub:

-PO "lightened" the bike to use it as a dirt bike. This consisted of cutting every wire in the electrical starting system (but not removing the components!), adding in a 12-FOOT BUNDLE OF WIRE under the right side panel for a connection that needed about 6" of wire, and somehow jump starting it each time he needed to get it going. W.T.F.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
il and I'm wondering if there is any functional difference between years for this thing? BikeBandit shows different part numbers ('87-97, '98+), but several eBay finds have something different (for example, '87-00)...
Until someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I can only confirm that the Boats.net parts number cross reference says the '87-'97 coil is the same, even though there may be 4 different part numbers.

The '98-2000 coils are the same, and the 2001-2010 are the same.

On the other hand, the AMR Monster Coil on Ebay says it fits all years and models, but costs more than the Yamaha coil.

jb

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, jb. Anyone else know for sure? It sort of LOOKS like there is an extra wire on the older ones, much like how there's an extra wire on the newer CDIs. I might just wing it and see.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Try this link for past coil threads

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=YES&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=site:tw200forum.com+&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=f&oq=#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=hp&q=site:tw200forum.com+coil&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=d9008d84f286047

Has anyone else seen this coil on ebay?

Any thoughts on it good or bad?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item1e612a61e3

"NEW" AMR RACING MONSTER COIL

34% More energy to Spark Plug

Increased Throttle Response!

Easy Install, replaces your stock Coil.

This Performance Coil Fits:

Yamaha TW200 (fits all models and all years)​

The AMR Monster Coil provides a higher intensity spark with faster recovery and response. This Coil Supplies up to 34% more energy than stock, longer plug life as well as a much hotter spark. After installing the AMR Monster Coil riders often notice an immediate benefit with a crisper throttle response and a quicker rev with more pull through the RPM's. Due to the greater spark the AMR Monster Coil provides you will have a cleaner spark-plug which ultimately means you are getting the most out of your fuel. Another plus is the Monster Coil will keep your internals slightly cleaner (valves/piston) and reduce build up on plug (less chance of fouling). Depending on the requirements of your model-year, Hardware shown may or may not ship with your item. (OOS)​

1 - 4 of 4 Posts