TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to do an experiment on the Clarke XT225 tank installation. Here is my attempt. This raises the front of the tank and lowers the back so it will have a better use of the fuel when low. Will need to field test it after finished to see if it actually works.
Used the hockey puck idea and bought a piece of 4" x 6" hard vulcanized rubber used for jewelry making. Seems to be about the same hardness as hockey pucks.
20200520_160343.jpg
20200520_161957.jpg
20200514_165247.jpg
20200520_162059.jpg
20200520_162147.jpg
20200520_162238.jpg
20200520_162208.jpg
20200515_182205.jpg

I heated up two areas of the tank and used 1 1/2" ABS as forms to put indentations so the tank would be able to be centered in the back and the right front fork would have complete travel. My tank was a bit more forward on the right front than the left front.
Also heated and bent the seat pan in various areas so that it would conform to the new tank angle and position.

Would like to give a big Thanks to all who those have contributed much information and innovation before starting on this project. Has helped a lot!

Also need to thank Admiral for the foam!!! It worked out perfect for this pan.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Would you mind taking a pic from above, as from the riders view? Think it’s the only angle I’ve never seen.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The petcock I used with a left side outlet is from a TTR90. Yamaha part # 5HN-24500-01

The tube is short so I will cut the tube and lengthen it about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2"
Petcock for TTR90.jpg
with some clear fuel line tubing. This will give me about 1 gallon of reserve fuel.

You can order them from Partzilla OEM.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
I was curious about the petcock, thanks for identifying it.
Initial interest was that perhaps it might make inline fuel filter installation easier as well as facilitate tank removal since hoses can be longer, but maybe not?...glad you are pioneering heat modding this tank around frame and forks.
Being lower from tank the TTR petcock looks more readily accessible which is a plus.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That tank installation looks great and thanks for the detailed pics of the installation. Can you give us an update on the effects the new tank has on the bikes handling heavy in the front end and if it fills bulky in the saddle. A bigger tank may be something i would like in the future.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Exactly what I was looking for oldworld 124. Really appreciate it!

Again, it looks really good on the TW!

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
I expected the greater weight up high would be disadvantageous but one quickly adapts. One doesn't need to always have 4 gallons aboard either. Sloshing of a partial fuel load is also not as disconcerting as I had feared.
mr.Gizmo paint4e80a5c6ad88b7e64d35.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My take on the Clarke tank after completing a rigorous 90 mile run in very diverse types of trails.

I am about 6 feet so the bike is low for me. This wider and larger tank feels great. Using my knees to control the bike was very easy and just feels more natural than a stock tank. Did not sense any top heavy imbalance. No sloshing of fuel. Front to rear stability feels very good. The position of the tank also helps keep me from being moved too far forward when going downhill. I think taking the time to heat and form it to make sure it was centered to the bike helps. For me it is a winner.
I also heated the seat pan so it would sit on the frame correctly and form to the slope of the tank without any undue pressure. The seat cushion was cut and formed to fit properly. I also had 1/4" of softer foam applied before being covered. Quite a comfortable and stable ride now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts