TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few days, it's been cool....not cold.
I always warm her up for about 5 minutes before leaving for work in the morning, so I'm assuming the engine is hot enough by then.
Over the past two days though, I've noticed that I am unable to get her to shift into THIRD.
This doesn't happen while I'm driving along...only after the first takeoff after warmup...she's tough to get into third.
It "might" be my big boots getting in the way...it's been raining so I carry my workshoes in the rear case...but why not every gear then?

Is this likely just a warmup thing, or do I have transmission problems in my future?
My oil is fairly new and my chain tension is good...it just feels as if the shifter doesn't move whatever it's supposed to.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Odd.
Only on upshift into third?
How about subsequent downshifts into third, and any issues downshifting out of third?
Symptoms go away after a bit of riding?
Hopefully issue is not associated with any odd accompanying noises possibly indicative of internal transmission damage.

Sorry to be of no help but rather a source of more questions. Like with a doctor it helps to interview and get patient history and review observed symptomology before hazarding a diagnosis and treatment. Fortunately we don't charge for an office visit like the Doc.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes...only the upshift to 3rd at the initial drive-away after warmup.
Downshifting to 3rd or any other lower gear does not present any problems...or maybe I just haven't paid attention to it.
Symptoms DO improve after riding....when trans and clutch are fully warmed up.

My biggest concern is that these symptoms would appear on a bike with less than 4000 miles on it. My '01 was still shifting smooth at 30,000.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I think it's your big boots ! Try another pair of footwear before you think it's the bike

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's your big boots ! Try another pair of footwear before you think it's the bike
Well...that's the thing. The last time I rode in my usual footwear, there wasn't an issue so at first I thought it might be the boots.
But when standing still and looking at it, my boots aren't hanging up on anything and the shifter is free and clear.

The weather is supposed to clear up for this weekend, so I might get a chance to try it with my usual riding/hiking boots.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have experienced this twice in the past few nights. My bike is brand new (400 miles) and when it's cold (40F or less) it will sometimes give me a struggle on the up shift to 2nd. I am going to do my 400 mile service this weekend and dig into it to make sure every thing is looking OK.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Couple of things you may want to check/do which may help.

Change the oil. Synthetic oil usually allows better shifting longer than dino oil. I've always experienced better shifting after an oil change.

Also, check you're chain slack. Too loose of a chain will affect shifting.

I don't know if either of these will help but they're cheap and easy to try. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Over the past few days, it's been cool....not cold.
I always warm her up for about 5 minutes before leaving for work in the morning, so I'm assuming the engine is hot enough by then.
Over the past two days though, I've noticed that I am unable to get her to shift into THIRD.
This doesn't happen while I'm driving along...only after the first takeoff after warmup...she's tough to get into third.
It "might" be my big boots getting in the way...it's been raining so I carry my workshoes in the rear case...but why not every gear then?

Is this likely just a warmup thing, or do I have transmission problems in my future?
My oil is fairly new and my chain tension is good...it just feels as if the shifter doesn't move whatever it's supposed to.
My 2015 TW was poor at shifting from the start. Changing to synthetic oid helped but at 6000 mi it became too much of a problem so I opted to change out the clutch and found....
besides the obvious clutch adjustment at the handlebar and cable ends, there is another one behind the right hand cover. It sets the length of the rod crossing the engine from the clutch to the rotating rod on the left side. Adjust to touch then back up a tad. One would have thought Yamaha would put in a cover for this adjustment.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I would go with the suggestion Admiral made about checking and maybe changing your oil at the very least for at least one thing you could eliminate. Blessed (or cursed) with multiple motorcycles to ride the one weak point that I always had was to adjust to on the TW's shifting when riding another bike prior. Let's face it it's not the tactic tight and smooth gearing of say a BMW or Ducati and of course it's not supposed to be. Kinda like loose marbles that over time you learn to live with but also master. I'd call it adequate in a bargain basement bike.

You mention you suspected your boots? Did you mean it's difficult when you are not wearing them of vis-versa?

When I bought my Forma Adventures (one of the best recommendations from this Forum BTW) I found that even on the slightest "bump" on the street the bike would shift sometimes. So I adjusted the shifter up a couple clicks to compensate. Of course when riding with shoes or just around town with sneakers I had to really lift my foot to compensate. Used to be just a touch to upshift... now it's a definitive effort.

Last week the day before the new owner (Capt. Trev) came to pick up the bike I was tooling around town doing local chores and wearing sneakers. Been awhile since I took her out and having a senior moment and lazy foot moment forgot thinking "now what's wrong, why do I have to lift my foot to high". Came to my senses and remembered there really was no middle of the ground between street shoes/sneakers for me and the big Forma's. Doesn't mean there isn't for you but it's really the way you sit, where you hands meet the handlebars and where you feet sit and are comfortable on the footpegs.
Mentioning this because when I first got the boots I sent the bike to the dealer telling them something was wrong with shifting. They had it for a couple days, called me and said no charge/nothing is wrong/it's YOU (meaning me).

For what it's worth I upgraded to bigger (adult) footpegs and a longer and seemingly better IMS Shifter within the first days I got the TW. Not something you have to do of course but the factory shift was kinda a lanky piece that didn't exactly help with the already adequate shifting of the bike. I'm a 12.5 shoe but I think the Forma's are a 13 or 13.5. Buy them a size bigger than your show size so yeah... they are big.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts