TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Difficulty shifting................again...SOLVED.

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Andre 
#1 ·
Hi...me again! I was the one with the big boots....

Anyways, I haven't been wearing the boots for over a week now...the weather has been great, I've been able to ride my bike to work EVERY DAY this week!
When I got home tonight, after a 12 mile ride (long way home) after work, I was having a heckuva time getting her out of first and into neutral (standing still).
Does this sound more like a clutch thing, or a transmission issue? She only has about 3800 miles on her...

#3 ·
I would say it is a clutch issue. Mine always has a slight drag so there is always a little pressure on the gear. Reason why they tend to lunge more so than others when putting in gear.

Try this while sitting still in first, slightly let the clutch lever out just enough for the bike to try to move, then at the same time while having your foot slightly pulling up on the shift lever, pull the clutch lever back in. This momentarily relieves some of the drag/pressure on the gears and may help you slip it into neutral. With a little practice you will be able to click into neutral without going to second. It may also help to give a slight blip of the throttle as you let out the clutch then return throttle at same time as you pull clutch lever back in. Change of rpm suddenly lowering as you pull in the clutch helps take some drag out of the equation as well.

Hope this is some help and with a little practice,
Marty

Reactions: jtstdub and reddave
#10 ·
Try this while sitting still in first, slightly let the clutch lever out just enough for the bike to try to move, then at the same time while having your foot slightly pulling up on the shift lever, pull the clutch lever back in. This momentarily relieves some of the drag/pressure on the gears and may help you slip it into neutral. With a little practice you will be able to click into neutral without going to second. It may also help to give a slight blip of the throttle as you let out the clutch then return throttle at same time as you pull clutch lever back in. Change of rpm suddenly lowering as you pull in the clutch helps take some drag out of the equation as well.

Hope this is some help and with a little practice,
Marty
This is great advice !

Why are you trying to get neutral while the bike is running? Just put the kickstand down and turn the key off

#4 ·
Happens to me sometimes as well. When this occurs I hold the shift lever all the way down and flick my toes down and away. The lever pops up and into neutral. That has worked ok for me - but Marty sounds like he has a better solution!

#5 ·

Anyways, I haven't been wearing the boots for over a week now...the weather has been great, I've been able to ride my bike to work EVERY DAY this week!
When I got home tonight, after a 12 mile ride (long way home) after work, I was having a heckuva time getting her out of first and into neutral (standing still).
Does this sound more like a clutch thing, or a transmission issue? She only has about 3800 miles on her...
While I wouldn’t discount if something is wrong, difficulty shifting into neutral at idle is extremely common on TW’s. If you kill the engine it should easily slip into neutral. If not then you may have adjustment to make. Blipping the throttle and quickly shifting to neutral works sometimes too.

#7 ·
While I wouldn’t discount if something is wrong, difficulty shifting into neutral at idle is extremely common on TW’s. If you kill the engine it should easily slip into neutral. If not then you may have adjustment to make. Blipping the throttle and quickly shifting to neutral works sometimes too.
EXACTLY!
While some motorcycles/engines, i.e. like my GL1800 Goldwing, do go into neutral rather easily while the engine is running, there are many others that can throw temper tantrums and tell you "HELL NO" I'm not going into neutral, no matter how much you try. Could be temp, could be clutch, who knows. Typically, if my mind is working correctly which, is almost never, I try and flip it into neutral as I'm approaching a stop, be it in a parking lot or, at home. IF the little tyke still gives me guff, I win by shutting down the bike.
Scott

Reactions: admiral
#12 ·

My 19 has a hard time going in neutral to.

#13 ·
I find if I let (2016) bike roll forward just a couple of inches she pops into neutral easily. Other option is pass neutral go into second then gently touch shifter and drops into neutral without rolling forward. Both with engine idling.

#15 ·
Before I replaced the clutch due to slippage, on mine I had some difficulty selecting gear at idle. Have you looked at the pointer on the casing if you unhook the clutch cable? If that is out of whack then you need to pop the clutch cover off and adjust the free play on the clutch.
After the clutch replacement it is great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.