TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody try a DIY digital or pixelated camo paint job like Kawasaki and others are doing? Apparently, it was a failure on military uniforms but I like the look. I know you can buy stencils. Seems like it might exceed my attention to detail limits. I think you can buy wrap too. Anyone dabbled?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks putt. They don’t mention pricing anywhere. Did you get a quote? For me I’d prefer it to be DIY, like these guys DIY Hydro Dipping | Hydrographics | Water Transfer Printing | My Dip Kit Store but $69 would make for a pricey learning curve. With paint or other finishes, I know you get what you pay for, but I’m notoriously cheap and even Krylon Fusion is only like $8 a can. Thanks for the link. They have lots of cool patterns. I’m gonna do some searching to find out pricing.

It’s weird - my bike is pretty much all white and I’ll be honest my current top paint ideas I don’t think would be an improvement. So I’m gonna take my time and get more ideas like this. Thanks and cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anybody try a DIY digital or pixelated camo paint job like Kawasaki and others are doing? Apparently, it was a failure on military uniforms but I like the look. I know you can buy stencils. Seems like it might exceed my attention to detail limits. I think you can buy wrap too. Anyone dabbled?
Badger FLA,
Hmm, hadn't heard that about digital camo uniforms but I do know that a number of armed forces around the world, the Peoples Republic of China comes first to mind, have adopted digital camo schemes for weapon systems used by their armies, navies, air forces, and land-based mobile tactical and strategic missile platforms. I don't know what the problem might have been with digital camo fatigues, but it's my understanding the digital blocks must be correctly designed, sized, and colored to suit the environment where they will work for maximum effectiveness. IIRC, digital camo was pioneered (i.e., invented) by a small specialty unit of DARPA.

Anywho, fast forward to Kawasaki Powersports implementation of this technology and I believe it's been well-received by their customers and a resounding sales success, at least in the United States. Kawasaki's newest Dual-Sport, the KLX250, is being offered in Digital Camo for a $200 premium and I think it looks quite handsome. That said, I wouldn't look for Yamaha to offer a digital camo it on the TW or the XT250 as that would necessitate offering two or more color schemes in a given model year for each bike. Offering just digital camo would be too big a bet for conservative Japanese management ( but I hope they prove me wrong..).

John_Quinn_

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd like to do desert camo on mine, but my frame is blue... and I'm not doing blue camo! :nightmare:

Edit: Here's a blue camo I might consider.... :laughing6:

View attachment 146010
CJ7 Pilot,
That blue camo looks sweet AND I'd love to see it on your TW. So please post a few pin-up photos once you've completed the makeover. :)

John_Quinn_

BTW, did you know that Royal Enfield produced a limited edition Classic 5oo in Squadron Blue camo and the entire production run sold out in a matter of minutes? It's a handsome bike and your TW would be keeping good company.

·
Registered
19,555 Posts
Youtube has some do-it-yuorself videos for making your own digital cams stencils and using stencils in general. Lots of other camp option techniques.

One I liked used puzzle pieces for the digital elements.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s the kinda DIY I’m talking about Fred. I have no painting experience and I want to learn. Stuff like this will keep the cost down while I’m learning and making mistakes. I hope to do my testing on the underside of the rear fender. Thanks all for your input. Cheers

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been thinking of trying to do a vinyl wrap on mine at some point. It seems like that would be a much easier way to go. There are tons of different camouflage options to choose from with vinyl wrap. I'm not sure how much the vinyl would cost, but it doesn't seem like it would take much to cover a TW.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I saw a few of those Kawasaki Digital Camo's at the motorcycle show a couple weeks ago.
They look really nice in person and up close.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts