TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little 170 mile circle this morning looking for some abandoned silica mines that I'd heard about. I didn't see the mines, but I got a good look at the huge iron gate and a pile of left over sand.. I also found out how Croaker road got it's name, those slimy rocks will get ya
Found a cool railroad trestle and another bluff, this time I was at the bottom of it. I had a blast and saw some interesting roads.

·
Registered
503 Posts
first photo quote: MAN DOWN

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No harm done, I know how treacherous that slime can be, I was in first with my feet down, the front wheel slipped and I just stood there while it fell out from under me.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I thought TW was just laying down in the water to cool off. But wait a minute, no need. You have one of those Lizrdbrth oil coolers!
I've heard how hazardous that green slimy stuff can be, but never experienced it myself. I'm glad it was a slow speed get off, not a hard crash. Cool pics, I especially like the one of the trestle. Do you suppose the silica sand was used for making silicon crystals, chips, and such? You do have a lot of interesting things to see out there, thanks for sharing them with us.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought TW was just laying down in the water to cool off. But wait a minute, no need. You have one of those Lizrdbrth oil coolers!
I've heard how hazardous that green slimy stuff can be, but never experienced it myself. I'm glad it was a slow speed get off, not a hard crash. Cool pics, I especially like the one of the trestle. Do you suppose the silica sand was used for making silicon crystals, chips, and such? You do have a lot of interesting things to see out there, thanks for sharing them with us.
Nothing in the world is as slick as low water bridge slime, I ride across them all the time, you never know when, but it'll get ya sooner or later! This was the first good ride with the lizard cooler, the cooler was hot and the motor was cool, I love it. No idea on the silica, the mines have been closed since the early 60's, I doubt computer use, maybe sandblasting?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awwwww...... cute - your TW is taking a nap!

Mine likes to do that too.
I woke it up pretty quick, according to my odometer I was 14 miles away from pavement and the last human I'd seen, that ain't no place for a nap

My handguards and folding shifter payed for themselves toady

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, here's another look at the trestle, it was pretty cool so I took two of it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Great pics and report......I would have ridden under that trestle, double back ridden under it again and again.......

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm sorry, but that durable, multipurpose, easy to ride Yamaha Trailway TW200 looks like HELL laying on it's side.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
You know I love the trestle, and you posted an encore photo of it to boot!
Out here I can't ever remember any time of slip rock in the water crossing. Wonder if there is some (natural not cement). That pile of silica looks like snow. Thanks for posting up. Good stuff!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks Admiral, yeah that is all natural rock, and 100% organic green slime. The picture doesn't really show the angle, I had to drag the bike to dry ground, I couldn't stand up on that stuff long enough to pick the it up!
Crossing these things is tricky, you must be perfectly vertical, you must keep your speed constant, 20mph is to fast, if you try to speed up, you will fall, if you slow down you will fall, NEVER touch a brake. It's immediate and both wheels go at the same time. Even if you do everything right it's still a crap shoot. Folks who haven't experienced it can't believe how slick it really is. This is the first time I've dropped a bike on one in 20 years, but I expect it to happen every time I cross one.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
i think my bike is narcoleptic.... if falls over to sleep suddenly all the time. great pics!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts