TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new member here. I just pickup a 1991 TW from my uncle that’s been sitting for a very long time and I’m wanting to removal all the lighting and battery and make it strictly kick start trail riding naked style bike. I’ve been searching for any possible wiring diagrams that will help me re wire the TW but no luck. Can someone help a brother out and point me in the right direction? Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting your hans on a T-Dub! I know what you are looking for exists however I have no copies or links to provide to you, sorry. The good news is there are several very helpful tech gurus here that generously share their knowledge on questions just like your and I am sure you will get the information you are hoping to find. Perhaps have a look through the Technical Help forum as there is a ton of knowledge and tips there that you can start with. Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone. I remember seeing a post where someone did a diagram but the picture wasn’t working anymore. The build might take a while due to the intake valve is bent so I got to fix that and shops where I’m at charges an arm and leg to get it fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking about saving all the wires for the lights and what not but I’m wanting to make it barebones scrambler kinda look. So I just jumped the gun and removed it all

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Ditching the battery, have you considered wiring in a capacitor to replace the battery so you have a steady 12 volts to run your ignition? Trail Woman either did it or was considering the battery replacement with the capacitor. I would think this would be easier on the stator and electrical system.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the jap guys remove it when they do hollow mods, i think they replace it with a battery tender? not 100% on the name but you will be able to find it on webike site, will probably give you a description and maybe from that you can find something similar on Ebay etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
There used to be a product called a battery eliminator, if I remember correctly. Maybe a google search??? I also recall someone stating that the '87 is the only TW that can be run without a battery. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,839 Posts
Any TW can be run without a battery - providing you have the necessary tech in place (such as a battery eliminator) - the clue is in the title ......

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
The "Battery eliminator" is an over priced capacitor. A dead battery assisting a kickstarter is acting somewhat as a capacitor as it doesn't store a lot of Amps but smoothes out the power delvery to the CDI. They charge quickly and discharge slow at a slow even rate. They hold a charge for a few days. Someone on youtube used several of them to run their car with no battery. To wire it into your TW it would just replace the battery in any wiring schematic.

I have yet to wire up my capacitor but for a few dollars I ordered a 50V 10000F that (as I've been told) should do the job. It's the size of a small pill bottle. The ground/negative is marked with a textured stamp. I watched someone unknowingly wire one backwards and it charged slower then it discharged (reverse behavoir) like a resistor would till it exploded. Nothing too dangerous unless you got it in the eye. Just a loud bang and it blows it's lid.

I'm waiting to get the nerve to install my kicker and see how it works before I get rid of my battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lot of the posts I’ve read about using a capacitor is so they can run lights and stuff. Sorry I’m just trying to gather as much info as I can before I start plugging in things and messing up even more

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You can run lights without a capacitor but ithe capacitor makes them run "seizure free". The reason ordered a 50V was to run my lights, and hopefully my e-starter once the kickstarter got my motor running and capacitor charged. That way my kicking would be reduced greatly. If it wasn't enough for my e-start I would add more capacitors in parallel as to not increase to voltage but to store up more amperage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts