TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for headlight stone guards, but decided I'd go ahead and make my own. It'll probably be this weekend before I get to finish it up since I don't have a welder. Anyways, here's my progress so far....

·
Registered
976 Posts
Those look like some pretty clean corners. How did you do the bending?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look like some pretty clean corners. How did you do the bending?

Made the jig out of scrap wood and sheetrock screws, then just heated the metal with my propane torch and bent it around the screws. Worked pretty well. It's my first time fabricating anything out of metal so we'll see how it turns out...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Made the jig out of scrap wood and sheetrock screws, then just heated the metal with my propane torch and bent it around the screws. Worked pretty well. It's my first time fabricating anything out of metal so we'll see how it turns out...

Wow! That's pretty impressive.

I would've thought you'd need either a bender with the right die or some kind of black magic to pull those corners off.

I've been on the fence about picking up a less expensive flux-core arc welder (Harbor Freight has some highly rated ones for around $120), one of the reasons being that it's great to be able to stick pieces of metal together, but without all of the other tools from the metal shop I've had my doubts about being able to make the right size and shape pieces of metal to weld together.

I guess people bent and shaped metal without anything but heat, hand tools, and patience for a few thousand years though.

Nice work, thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Looks good, I want to do something like that for mine, please post the finished project.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@DonBenito

I've been thinking of picking up the 90 amp mig welder from Harbor Freight. It's on sale for $109 right now, and I hear they're pretty decent units if you swap out the wire for quality wire.

@r80rt

Thanks. I'll definitely post my progress. (Unless it turns out bad, then I'm just busy and can't find time to finish...
)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Lookin good Mattmus! I want to build something similar that integrates some extra light mounts so I can add some LED headlights that will replace my high beam. I often ride early in the morning before daylight and the stock headlight leaves a lot to be desired..... Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lookin good Mattmus! I want to build something similar that integrates some extra light mounts so I can add some LED headlights that will replace my high beam. I often ride early in the morning before daylight and the stock headlight leaves a lot to be desired..... Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing!

Thank you, sir! It'll have to wait to be finished till this next weekend. The welder I was going to use ended up not working out, so I'm going to by a little wire feed unit.

I'm going to add some 3" LED lights to the reflector brackets on the forks. Should ad a ton of light

1 - 10 of 10 Posts