TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, here is a video of a Rack that I built for less than 10 bucks. Very strong and light (I can pick the bike up using the rack). I plan on building a similar one for the front.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Nice job on the rack and video too.

I agree with your philosophy about honing your skills whenever you can. They are personally fulfilling and will be extremely valuable when life gets tough. Our comfy life can turn on a dime and there's a lot of people that couldn't even make soup without a can opener, let alone have the ability to take care of themselves and their family's needs.

I'm a fan of using EMT conduit too. It's handy for all sorts of projects. Just today I started making a gate for my driveway at my off the grid house out of 2" EMT. You have to be careful welding it though. The fumes from the galvanized coating can be harmful.

I almost forgot...I really like the paint scheme on your bike.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
awesome video ! Cycleracks uses schedule 40 pipe so your technique would certainly work using that as well. The best fitting Cyclerack clone I ever had was 2" narrower and 4" longer (no hump) than the standard Cyclerack and I loved it! Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
66 Posts
awesome video ! Cycleracks uses schedule 40 pipe so your technique would certainly work using that as well. The best fitting Cyclerack clone I ever had was 2" narrower and 4" longer (no hump) than the standard Cyclerack and I loved it! Thanks for the video!
I am thinking I will use those same measurements! Possible even more narrow,

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Looks really great.
If I was to do the same exact build I'd unfortunately have to include all the wrong throwaway "bends" in my video. I have wasted so much EMT it's not funny even with the right/perfect, measurements. If you are doing most of that by 'eye" that is a real inner-talent.
Fortunately for me EMT is cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK I did mine but I suck at bending so a little crooked. I did flat bar instead of pipe for the deck. I'll just do this again and get it right. So for $200 that it would cost to get the cyclerack, you can buy:

1. Harbor Freight 125 flux Welder https://www.harborfreight.com/Flux-125-Welder-63582.html
2. Welding Gloves
3. Apron
4. Helmet
5. Stock for the rack.

AND YOU GET A WELDER! Did I mention that? This is the best mod ever.

Oh and I used angle bar and a couple of "tongues" welded to that to attach under the seat.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts