TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, here is a video of a Rear Rack I built for my TW200. Very light and strong, a great option for a guy that has some garage skills and a little time. It was a Fun project for me and ended with a very useful mod.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Very nicely done video with an excellant message. Rack is pretty impressive too!;) After seeing and fixing a few broken racks and mounts for the TW I think a good shade-tree project would be to reinforce the TW's subframe's cross bar and sub-frame. to main frame connection. These break as often as elements of a CycleRack proper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nicely done video with an excellant message. Rack is pretty impressive too!;) After seeing and fixing a few broken racks and mounts for the TW I think a good shade-tree project would be to reinforce the TW's subframe's cross bar and sub-frame. to main frame connection. These break as often as elements of a CycleRack proper.
Thanks and I have to say that when I was doing the rack project, I thought about welding some bar under the seat as long as I was in there. It certainly would be easy enough and there is plenty of room to do so. The bike is kinda "new" to me so I didn't bother, just thought I would ride it to see what happens first. There does seem to be room to stiffen things up back there though and without a lot of effort.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ok, i just cant, not comment on this one. 1- excellent video 2-excellent points while in 'Dad'-mode 3- i like guys doing for themselves (for everybody else, theres me)

now for the bad, (not that i have any say, i just 'call em as i see em)
1- materials used are on the lightside. I can see it bending. 2- surely theres gotta be someone out there selling a lighter weight alternative to ammo boxes ( i think i know a guy) 3- weld the support into the frame. The tab isnt strong enuff. 4- and this is where i have the biggest issue, wouldn't a ten minute phone call allow for a game of catch with the kids? You can always make more money. Unless ofcourse the kid was helping. I didnt see him in the video.

Hopefully, my comments here are not taken to heart. It is simply my observation, and meant to 'poke the bear' abit. I really enjoyed the whole thing and just making you aware, you've got some limitations.
As I said, i just couldn't let this one by.
Best of luck, Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, i just cant, not comment on this one. 1- excellent video 2-excellent points while in 'Dad'-mode 3- i like guys doing for themselves (for everybody else, theres me)

now for the bad, (not that i have any say, i just 'call em as i see em)
1- materials used are on the lightside. I can see it bending. 2- surely theres gotta be someone out there selling a lighter weight alternative to ammo boxes ( i think i know a guy) 3- weld the support into the frame. The tab isnt strong enuff. 4- and this is where i have the biggest issue, wouldn't a ten minute phone call allow for a game of catch with the kids? You can always make more money. Unless ofcourse the kid was helping. I didnt see him in the video.

Hopefully, my comments here are not taken to heart. It is simply my observation, and meant to 'poke the bear' abit. I really enjoyed the whole thing and just making you aware, you've got some limitations.
As I said, i just couldn't let this one by.
Best of luck, Tim
Ugh......I forgot why I stopped visiting forums......now I remember.

I make good money Tim, but haven't made 200 plus dollars an hour since I stopped being Paris Hiltons "toyboy". I don't know how much time you have to work to make 200 bucks plus a 10 minute phone call, but you earned the right to boast you paid full price....AWESOME and much respect.

Lastly I am not worried about it bending and will be mounting the ammo cans.

Hopefully you can take direct answers to your questions, I didn't take them to heart. Looking forward to your posts of you buying stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Was not looking to offend, just looking to point out a few things. My apologies, if i did. Having some experience with such matters, i thought i'd chime in. I'll just go back to sitting on the side and watch. If i can be of assistance, feel free to ask. If not, its your bike/mod. I personally like what you've done, and was trying to save you having to repeat

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Was not looking to offend, just looking to point out a few things. My apologies, if i did. Having some experience with such matters, i thought i'd chime in. I'll just go back to sitting on the side and watch. If i can be of assistance, feel free to ask. If not, its your bike/mod. I personally like what you've done, and was trying to save you having to repeat
I just answered your comment Tim, it's really a "no win internet forum waste of time situation" unless you are absolutely sure the rack is gonna bend, even though you have not seen the ammo cans mounted. I have a lot of experience breaking things...and I have a lot of experience fixing and making things. I built this to work.... it's strong, light and CHEAP. (Probably not a good vid for someone that is trying to sell the same work to other people for a lot of money....) But very good for the average guy looking to save a few bucks and learn something, which are the type of guys I like to hang around. I made it to work for my needs and what I need to carry and I am confident it will do just that. If 5 years down the road a tab breaks....maybe it will last 10 years...., maybe I have to weld a nut on the end at that point?...but until then..... I spent less then 10 bucks and already got my money out of it.

I will post further vids on my channel and rest assured it will get plenty of testing.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Sure conduit is a little light, but the stated purpose is for light duty. Thus no criticism. I figure since Yankee Prepper made it he can easily re-make it should for some reason it ever have problems down the road. That is the beauty of having fabrication skills, equipment and incentive, one can build light and maintain as neccesary.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nice looking rack and nice to see people with those skills and tools who make "stuff" for themselves. Good job.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice work. I like the way this style rear rack helps protect things on the side and rear. I have the one you modeled it after coming in the mail. Can't wait for this practical/functional addition. Should come in handy for carrying "stuff" as needed, plus protection to boot.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
YankeePrepper you must be my brother or something. I quit my job when we had kids and fixed cars from home on the days my wife worked. Best thing I ever did in my life. I love building as much of my own stuff as I can. I totally get what you are talking about. Love your rack and can't imagine why someone would pay $1500 for aluminum panniers when ammo boxes are so tough and cheap. For my "big" adventure bike I could have bought a GS but I prefered to build a budget 500cc Honda Ascot with homemade pannier mounts for my used $50 boxes, $20 auxillary gas tank, free scratched windscreen painted black and a pile of other homebuilt mods. Somehow it just seems more like and adventure when you ride a 30 year old street bike on knobbies with no dealer support or GPS...just a bag of magic tools. 008 (2).jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow , nicely done.....
I like the rack and the vid.
Your philosophical mind set is right on.
I tend to build almost every part that I can for my projects. Gives me a connection to the machine that catalog builders miss out on.
I have to apologize now for an unintentional emulation .
I thought my paint scheme was original and quite unique until I saw your post......
Great minds think alike......

1015141177.jpg

If you were to check the wall thickness of most store bought racks, you'd find that the conduit you used is the same wall thickness with one added advantage........ Zink plating.....
And welding tabs to the stock bike frame is a VERY poor idea....
Best regards ..... Gregg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts