TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and coworker of mine borrowed my TW Friday to take the motorcycle skills test. He said that the guy giving the test advised that he not use the front brake on such a small motorcycle, because it might flip over. Luckily my friend didn't take this advice, and passed his test. I thought I would share this information in case any of you guys are flipping over at every stop, and can't figure out why.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
In Cali unless you rack up a ton of moving violations or let your license lapse there are very few situatons in which you ever have to take the actual DRIVING portion of the test in a lifetime.

I've continuously held a motorcycle endorsement on my license since 1970, and have only ridden the course once. That's right, back in 1970.

But a few years ago I let my endorsement lapse and had to re-test. They have this circle thingy. Actually a circle within a circle, and you have ride the perimeter of the outter circle while staying between the lines in order to pass. Ms. Checklist was late for a nail appointment, it was beginning to rain and her bad hairdo was already beginning to frizz as was her already dubious civil worker's patience and attention spans. I'm no trials rider but there is no way that I can't blow through the Standard California Riding course with less than a 100% score unless they make me do it by braille.

So I finish the course and roll up to Ms. Checklist just as she's indifferently and indignantly scribbling "FAIL" across the "circle thingy" part of my test.

Puzzled and pissed I inquire as to just what in the hell prompted her to fail me. I did everything asked properly and probably in record time so she could go get her hair and nails done, pull the wings off a few flies or whatever she'd rather be doing in order to improve her disposition..

"You kept BOTH wheels between the lines in the circle. Only gotta keep your front wheel between the lines. You failed".

Took me awhile to figure out just what kinda logic was in play here. Apparently someone had told her that at minimum you had to keep the front wheel between the lines and she was gunna roll with that, forever, as if it that were somehow more difficult.. Eventually I got this resolved through a supervisor, but not one word of the illogic of it entered Ms. Checklist's liddle union-addled brain cells and probably hasn't to this day. So don't ride too WELL when taking yer test. lol.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
^^^^^ Unbelievable... I took the test in NJ 20some years ago and they have since "improved" the test, I'd probably have a hard time passing on the TW let alone my 919.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
It was around 1970 California passed the law requiring a motorcycle endorsement and naturally I got busted without it. Long story short when it came to the skills part of the test (they hadn't evolved the state of complexity they are today) the examiner and I went outside to my motorcycle. He then pointed down the street and said "go about half a block, make a u-turn, then come back". I did and I passed. I always look back on the experience as a positive one. Simple, easy, to the point and I got what I wanted.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I will not say how long ago, but when I got my first "required" motorcycle endorsement, The examiner asked me if I had a motorcycle. I responded with "yes". He asked if I had ridden it to the location, and I responded "yes". He said that was good enough for him. Endorsement issued!
Mel

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My examiner was impressed with how short the TW stopped. I used a healthy amount of front brake along with the back brake, and miraculously didn't flip over!:D

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
I took mine in 1968. It was downtown San Diego and the guy had me drive around the block. He did walk to the end of the driveway and watch me turn right, then waited till I came back around the block and pull in the parking lot, and that was it.

Two years ago I let my license expire by accident and had to go take the written test and driving test all over for both car and bike. Boy, did that suck, I will never let my license expire again.

When I went for the motorcycle driving test, there were about 20 people there that day and one after another they failed the test in front of me. Everyone was so scared that day after seeing everyone fail that no one wanted to be next. To tell you the truth, I just wanted to get it over with and go home and smoke a bowl, so I stepped up to be next. I was on a Harley with forward controls and had to put a foot down for a fraction of a second in manuvering the cones. I lost a few points, but passed just fine. There were only 3 people that day that passed.
If you ever have to take that test again, take the TW, not the big bike.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I took mine back in '67 and on a BSA 441 Victor. They had a big circle with two orange cones about 15 feet apart. The guy said do two figure eights around the cones and stay in the circle with both feet on the pegs. Being a dirt rider since around 12 that was probably the easiest test I ever took. After he passed me I had a half a mind to do a few donuts around his stupid cones but figured I should just run with my endorsement. Here in NY it is just an "M" after your regular lic. Classification and as long as you renew your DL it never goes away.

Most of my buddies took their test on their sisters Honda Trail 90 back them, bunch of wusses!

GaryL

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Took my test back in '77 when I was 15 1/2 years old. Dmv guy said ride around the block. He could see me because it was a park. Easiest test I've ever taken. My brother tried the new modern test about 5 years ago and after two tries he gave up and sold his motorcycle. (82 Honda crx 500). We did go on about 10 rides while he had his permit.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I took my (second) motorcycle endorsement test here in Idaho three years ago after a 35 year hiatus on the FABULOUS TW-200! I practiced the swerve and the cones in a line in my driveway after reading up on the test. Passed with a 100%.

Poor bastard old rider who had just changed states and tried it on his HD Wannabee couldn't make the cones. He had been riding longer than me.

Luckily for me, my test guy was a very experienced rider, and I got none of this absurd crap from him!:D

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
I keep missing the trees, goats, cows, houses and cars...and them missing me, so I'm guessing I'm passing my skills test everytime I ride:D

·
Registered
200 Posts
To tell you the truth, I just wanted to get it over with and go home and smoke a bowl, so I stepped up to be next. I was on a Harley with forward controls and had to put a foot down for a fraction of a second in manuvering the cones. I lost a few points, but passed just fine. There were only 3 people that day that passed.
If you ever have to take that test again, take the TW, not the big bike.
Back in '04 or '05 I loaned my TW to a friend to take the Illinois skills test. The guy before us must have let his license accidentally lapse, because he was taking the test on a decked out HD Ultra-Glide. Full kit, bags and everything. I have no clue how that man managed to hustle that boat of a bike through the cones and the course, but damned if he didn't make it look easy.

There's not a chance I could have done that. Doubt my Dad, a lifelong Harley rider, could have done that. It just blows my mind that anyone can navigate such a low-speed maneuvering test like that on a bike that weighs almost as much as a small car.

Everyone I know who takes the test always wants to borrow the TW for it. You really need a <300lb bike to make that test doable for a beginning rider.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts