TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm gonna be taking rides during the winter on sunny days I'm wondering how much do those hand guards help keeping your hands warm. I had regular motocross type gloves on during my last ride and my hands were really cold riding in mid 40's temps. I know I probaly need better gloves but have been thinking about the hand guards with metal protector bars anyway. What about heated grips? Do they make them for motorcycles and does anyone have them?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hand guards make a big difference in warmth (cut wind chill and flow on your hands). The bigger the better, so two clorox bottles taped to your bars temporarily will convince you if its a cold day. Search the subject here and you will see various permutations used by the winter riders. Tom

·
Registered
443 Posts
They work on the Vee Strom

Ultimate are hippo hands

You need real gauntlet gloves, make sure they are goretex or similar

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Tusk Deflex have worked pretty well for me. Also if you want cold temp. gloves with out bulk.Try some designed for bicyclist.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like several members on this great forum like tusk D-flex and I like that they sell a separate easily removed spoiler shield for more coverage. Ordering some from Rockymountain today. Looked at those hippohands. Those look dangerous! That is overkill anyway for where I live.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Check this thread out. I have the Tusk D-Flex with Moose foam hand guards. The combo works wonderfully.

·
Registered
250 Posts
No.

Well I guess it depends on the temperature. Below freezing, hand guards alone do not help at all. But add muffs, and you can keep riding with a light summer mesh glove!

I currently have the PowerMadd muffs on Tusk D-Flex hand guards. But I like the look of those Moose foam mini muffs...

Here is the PowerMadd:

http://www.powermadd.com/products/HandguardGauntletATV.html

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have the dflex w spoilers and while they do help, your hands do get cold around the knuckles. I added some of the moose racing hanguards for $20 and all is well now in any temperature. They are pretty much the same size as the moose utility atv foam guards.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the dflex w spoilers and while they do help, your hands do get cold around the knuckles. I added some of the moose racing hanguards for $20 and all is well now in any temperature. They are pretty much the same size as the moose utility atv foam guards.

That's a good looking setup with the windshield and hand guards, must keep alot of the weather off. With a set of wind deflectors on the top of the forks even your legs wouldn't get wet. Who makes the windshield?

·
Registered
7,210 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Who makes the windshield?
Slipstreamer. It is a viper that comes off in less than 30 seconds for those days I want to ride some trails. If you keep an eye on powersportsupertore.com the price ranges from $80-$100 depending on their current supplier. It changes all the time and you can usually get free shipping.

I have been looking for some wind deflectors for my legs for a while now...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Slipstreamer. It is a viper that comes off in less than 30 seconds for those days I want to ride some trails. If you keep an eye on powersportsupertore.com the price ranges from $80-$100 depending on their current supplier. It changes all the time and you can usually get free shipping.

I have been looking for some wind deflectors for my legs for a while now...
About all that gets wet on me is my face and legs, helmet takes care of the face and I've been thinking of making some deflectors for the forks. Couple of pieces of angle aluminum and some thick plastic should do the trick. Unfortunately I live in Canada and I think they have a law about prohibiting free shipping, I never get it. My nickname used to be retail plus 15%, plus shipping. Thanks for the info though.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I've never been able to tell much difference with just brushguards. HippoHands rock! I have winhter gauntlet gloves, HippoHands, and electric grip heaters. My hands don't get cold.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just installed the vps model guards by barkbusters (australian brand available most everywhere)

I like that the design matches the look of the tw, and that it comes with an extra upper section you can screw on at either of two different heights for added wind protection.

However they did not fit on the stock bars- the inner mount mates up to the bar right where the crossbar is welded.

I changed to protaper bars at the same time. They are the hi bend SE model, but i neglected to get the atv specific ones- so the replacement bars were the same height as stock... Uh dammit.

Very nice bend though.

I could tell a big difference in 55 degree weather. Much much warmer.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I installed deflex bark busters witn optional spoilers before my last ride. Also picked up better gloves with knit liner gloves and my hands were much warmer! In my area morning temps are mid 30's, low 40's during winter. Going to get the moose foam guards cuz they are only about $20 and can be easily removed once it warms up. Are the utility and racing ones the same size?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I installed deflex bark busters witn optional spoilers before my last ride. Also picked up better gloves with knit liner gloves and my hands were much warmer! In my area morning temps are mid 30's, low 40's during winter. Going to get the moose foam guards cuz they are only about $20 and can be easily removed once it warms up. Are the utility and racing ones the same size?

They are pretty much the same. Slightly different curves but the racing are for bikes while the utility are meant for atvs. You can use whatever you think looks best. They both will work.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here is what the PowerMadd muffs look like installed. I made two modifications:

- Cut a 1/2" slot in the top for mirrors (to be upgraded to a 6" velcro slot in the spring)

- added 7/16" poly tubing inside the top hem to keep the guards open on the highway.

But they work very well. Cheaper than Hippo Hands. Plus they stay open so I can take a hand off the controls and find my grip again!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts