1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have no issues with mine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have the smaller model, works super, I used for carving. Did seem a mite fussy about fuel, but most smaller units don't deal weel with
fuel we are blessed with today. Stihl used to be German but moved to the US a few years back. But brand of chainsaw is darn near as controversial as what type of oil in your motorbike. When faced with lots of clearing and poor fuel in Hawaii I switched to an electric one with a cord and genset. Genset much less fussy over fuel then chainsaw. Teaches one to be aware of surroundings, cutting the cord a few times. Attracted less attention than a gas saw.

·
Registered
416 Posts
A friend that I camp with bought the MS170 about two years ago. It seems to run just fine, however, as others have mentioned fuel seems to be the key. I bought an MS211C and love it, wanted something a tad bigger than the 170. Both of us run non-ethanol fuel in these. For anything other than my cars, I use the non-ethanol fuel and my small engines (TW's included) run very well and don't need a lot of attention.

I have to admit, my wife won't let me use the chainsaw around the house anymore. There are two trees that are really messy, drop branches on the driveway/cars that I have my eye on. If she goes away for a few days...look out trees! ;) Maybe, I'll have to ask for forgiveness!

·
Registered
636 Posts
There are two trees that are really messy, drop branches on the driveway/cars that I have my eye on. If she goes away for a few days...look out trees! ;) Maybe, I'll have to ask for forgiveness!
Man am I with you on that one. I have three monster ponderosa pines thats only function is to drop sap on my cars and clog up the valleys and gutters on my roof. Wife won't hear of them going away.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You guys sound like my neighbour.
When he prunes a tree it is 6" from the ground.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The MS-170 is a great little saw if you put good fuel in it.
Always ran non ethanol premium with Stihl oil... I own 6 Stihl power tools... Even tried the Stihl premix at almost $30 a gallon... Think I got a lemon... My 660 cold starts by the 3rd or 4th pull...
What a P. O. S. .....Needed a small saw.... Non starting.. Plug fouling... Waste of time...

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I think you're right about getting a lemon. Maybe your dealer will help you out, or maybe manufacturer.???? wishing you the best here.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Using good fuel n still having trouble? I'd second you've been blessed with a lemon. I seem to recall that on mine that the kill switch was really touchy
about how it was assembled and would get tweaked with air filter manipulation. Until I fingered it out the kill switch would become useless. I could see how it would cause a no start as well. I can't recall how I fixed it entirely but do remember it was fairly simple and had to do with how it was assembled, evidenced by the shop I purchased it from telling me later they had to retrain a tech on how to assemble new units. Sorry, I wish my memory functioned better.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought new about 2 yrs ago... Used very little cause of the starting issue... Had back to dealer once... They just kinda shrugged... Easier to just grab the big saw... Very happy with all my other Shihl equipment....

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Always ran non ethanol premium with Stihl oil... I own 6 Stihl power tools... Even tried the Stihl premix at almost $30 a gallon... Think I got a lemon... My 660 cold starts by the 3rd or 4th pull...
Check to see if the choke flap is closing properly. 2-3 pulls it should fire

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Choke closing just fine.... It's a 30 to 40 pull saw if one can even get it to fire... Been like that since day one.... Thought it might get better after a few tanks of fuel..

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I have the smaller model, works super, I used for carving.

What model is smaller than the 017-MS170?

Stihl used to be German but moved to the US a few years back.

Actually, most Stihl saws have been made at Virginia Beach for a long time.
I think the Virginia facility was built in 1974

·
Registered
416 Posts
You guys sound like my neighbour.
When he prunes a tree it is 6" from the ground.
Ohhh, if only I was so lucky. The damn trees provide too much shade in the late afternoon for the house so I have to leave them. Otherwise, tree trimming (6" stump leftover) at my house with a kegger to follow!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts