TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I oftened wondered if people steal helmets off motorcycles that are parked. I always notice helmets just sitting on the seat or hanging off the handlebars.
I've never wanted to buy an expensive helmet just in case people do steal them. Sure we have helmet locks but they can be compromised very easily. My guess is that no one steals them. Have you ever heard of helmets being stolen?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Our helmets have intercoms on them. When we are somewhere were they could go missing I lock the helmets on with intercoms on the inside agaist the bike so you can't see them. Lol the intercoms cost more than the helmets.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
?......... Have you ever heard of helmets being stolen?
Yes, on a western trip, an acquaintance of mine had his helmet stolen twice (2 helmets)...both times at gas stations.

jb

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, on a western trip, an acquaintance of mine had his helmet stolen twice (2 helmets)...both times at gas stations.

jb
Yeah a lot of drug addicts hang around gas stations. It's easy picking because most people leave there car unlocked when they go inside.

So what do you do when you are in a state with a helmet law and your helmet just got stolen? I guess I would report it and then ride off after the police leave.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Years ago while living in Denver I took a sweet young thing to dinner in Evergreen, some miles up in the mountains. Left the helmets, both mine, sitting over the mirrors of my BSA Goldstar. Returning from the restaurant both helmets were gone. It was a bit of a cold ride down the mountain. I have locked helmets or taken them with me ever since. Scotsman

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I keep my helmet lock serviced so I can lock it. I just hope some dickhead don't cut the helmet strap to steal it. Some people are probably that stupid.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
People steal anything, helmets included.
The last couple years in Daytona I was close to buying/upgrading my full-face helmet. The one I have now cost me about $400.00 but that was 10 years ago and it's value is $0 now/should be changed out.
No matter where I parked the bike and left the helmet sitting on the seat no one took it. I'd like to believe that it's because of the 'brotherhood" of 2 wheel riders but Florida is a no-helmet law state so not too many folks were interested. Doesn't go well with a bandana :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's a crime of opportunity. I trust no one. I carry my helmet and tank bag in if I don't have the panniers on the bike. Plus I carry a pistol in my tank bag. Cycle Gear has a lightweight backpack with a helmet holder bag that zips up when not in use. I've used it before and my full-face helmet fit.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bet there has been some serious asses kicked. Could you imagine some POS guy getting caught by a Hells Angel, Pagan or other dangerous gang member. It would be priceless to watch.
I'm sure I would tear into someone stealing my helmet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bet there has been some serious asses kicked. Could you imagine some POS guy getting caught by a Hells Angel, Pagan or other dangerous gang member. It would be priceless to watch.
I'm sure I would tear into someone stealing my helmet.
If it was my new helmet with video cam and Sena system...I might just pistol whip them while waiting on the cops...

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
If it was my new helmet with video cam and Sena system...I might just pistol whip them while waiting on the cops...

Argh, double gee dang-it! Sometimes I'm so disappointed with humans.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I would like to think that most people are considerate enough to know that helmets are for safety and leave them alone because they are at least considerate for others well being. There are always the few exceptions. I only have the $100.00 head so my helmet doesn't scream (Money) from the pawn shop. I also stick to white based helmets for safety. Those aren't cool enough to steel in most cases. I do at least attach mine to the bike.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts