TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have about 750 miles on my TW's now. I noticed that they are still quite clunky to shift. Also the engines don't want to rev out cleanLy at higher RPM. I remember my FZ1 transmission did not loosen up for 3000 miles.

As a sidenote I have noticed that in fifth gear at 45 mph when we go to wide-open throttle my TW with a 128 Main jet pulls away from my wife's TW with a 130 main. Oddly the wife's TW feels faster when riding it by itself however mine is clearly faster in reality.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Both bikes new? With different main jets from factory? That would seem odd.
Often it does take a while for parts to wear together.
On my last BMW it was 10,000 miles before it stopped using oil.
Changing oil can help shifting, avoid additives.

·
Super Moderator
5,316 Posts
The 128 may be more efficient at speed (contrary to what you would have thought).

I’d suggest that 2000 miles was a more realistic comparison between the two machines, by then they’ll have found their own level. Don’t stress yourself out over who did what – the factory tolerances aren’t that perfect – there will be subtle differences in both the machine and the rider …..

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
A full synthetic oil like Mobil 4-T helped with my ease of shifting.
Maybe Welder is more aerodynamic than his wife....no girly curves.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Drain the oil, refill it to the top with laundry detergent. Run it at idle for 10 mins then drain. Shifting should be buddery smooth!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Say what?
Please explain...

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
He's just kidding.

Reactions: TWilight and will

·
Registered
119 Posts
There is not enough lubrication in softener alone, all though i have heard of using a 50/50 mix of detergent to softener. Softener works to release build up, think of your softener as a mild carb cleaner and detergent as a super high performance oil. Since your problem is more rough shifting I suggest just stick with detergent alone. As for what type i like dawn because it smells the best, there for it works better.

(too far?):p

·
Registered
762 Posts
To the original post:

There are two issues here. First is, breaking in the hardware.

SECOND is...EXPECTATIONS. It takes TIME to make friends with new equipment; learn what it wants to do and cannot do. The shifter, with its internal slides and ratchets...been used in various Japanese motorcycles fifty years. But still sometimes there are problems and glitches.

Give it time. I have issues too. I now know when to expect them and how to minimize them. I STILL sometimes find that the machine doesn't downshift to 1st at lights when I'm ratcheting the gear toggle. I sometimes have to walk it backwards to find Neutral.

But with time it gets smoother. As it breaks in, it also makes friends with its owner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts