TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I change tires I threaten to have the shop mount them for me the next time but I did it again myself. My front tire was so tight I thought it would never come off today. I couldn't even get the tire tools between the rim and tire to get it off without lots of work. It seemed like the tires shrunk to me. I'm glad I was changing the tire out anyway because I wasn't careful in this case. On top of it I think the tube was as thick as the tire. Some kind of white powder came all out of the tire once I broke the bead.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Maybe it was your arms that shrunk, not the tire?🙂

Kidding aside, I think that tires do go from soft rubber to stiff rubber with age, sun, and heat. If they are changing density, then they could also be shrinking some. Think of a soft and pliable foam sponge when it is new and slightly wet vs an old one that has sat for days and dried out.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well,
Tires don't shrink. But,. they do get stiff as, they loose their resiliency over a given amount of time. There's also a few hints and practices that help to make things a bit easier.

#1, use plenty of lube when working them on or off. And lube could be any number of choices. I recently learned of the use of Windex as a lube. It worked well when I tried it and, it leaves no residue. Your choice on this one

#2. Make sure you break the beads on both sides BEFORE you start to remove the tire. There are a number of bead breakers on the market.

#3. Use whatever methods needed, to make sure the two beads are compressed together, on the opposite side of the tire that you're starting to remove from the wheel. And when they're compressed, they will be in the center of the valley which, will give you considerably more work clearance for the bead you're working on, to travel over the rim lip.

#4. And finally, if at all possible, place the tire and wheel in the sun or at least figure some way to heat things up. This will allow at least some form of flexibility while you're trying to work it. And this REALLY helps with a new tire.

Messing with m/c tires is always a bit of chore, IF you don't have many of the wazoo tire specialty tools, tire stands and all that. If you're a DIY type like myself, you do with what you have and the area to work in. Some good tire irons and rim protectors are of prime importance.
Scott

Reactions: salabim and Ken

·
Registered
404 Posts
Original tyres replaced 1996 model year :eek: still painting back wheel and various items new tyres not tested on road yet , I don’t bother to change out motorcycle tyres myself it’s not worth the blood sweat/ tears and excessive amounts of foul language involved etc, the place where I took them said they came off rims ok considering how old they were , I took new tubes up also but they said originals were in really good condition so left them in , no worries , funnily enough I never had the knobbies slide away from me on road around corners and i throw it hard into corners , never done the loose stuff like you guys in USA etc , I had to get these sent over from Holland , it took 3- months to get due to lack of truck drivers and the so called pandemic back log etc decent price though considering you could only get the Dunlop’s in uk which fit the Suzuki van van , I fancied something different , it was going to be too expensive shipping from USA , I was in no rush as it happens we shall see if I made the right choice or not , if they are crap I will change them out again for a better make got 2 tyres for the price of 1 tyre that would fit the Honda cbr900 fireblade

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At least putting the new tire on was easier than pulling the old one off. Still a royal pain in the butt. Which tire is better, the Bridgestone or the Shinko? Which tube is better, the stock Dunlop tube or the Michelin super heavy duty?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FYI Raffles, I have had my back Shinko tire on for about a year and it seems to handle about the same as my Bridgestone TW204. I just mounted the Shinko front tire today. My brakes were squealing so I went ahead and changed the tire while I had it off. This was probably a safer time to change it than waiting much longer. Now I have the complete Shinko set installed. I haven't had any problems from Shinko. As long as their prices stay pretty low I will probably stick with them. I have them on 3 bikes now.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I had to cut the old tires off my '07. Still don't have the new rear tire on yet.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think part of my problem is that I didn't put the old tire in the sun and let it heat first before removing it. I know it does make it easier to mount the tires if they are warm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts