TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
I don't own a Strom but can i ask what you are looking for in a tire?

Without knowing and making an assumption that your Strom is a road bike i highly recommend the Michelin Pilot road 4. they make a "trail" model in your size. I currently run the PR4's on my Multi and i'm pretty impressed with them. They wear great, great grip and great in the rain, i currently have ~8k on mine now. The tires i ran before that were the factory scorpion trails and i went thru a set of those every 2-3k before the rear was corded. These Michelins like i said have 8k on them and still have a ton of life left. I don't feel i gave up anything in grip vs the scorpion trails and they are vastly superior to the scorpion trails in the rain.

Registered
Tommy, from what you and I have discussed, it sounded like you had no real plans to take it on dirt, correct? If so, I think the best tire you can get is the Michelin Pilot Road 4. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it, from sport bikes to touring bikes to so on.

Registered
Another vote for the Pilot Road 4 here! I'm on my second set of Pilot Road 3's now and love them. I've never slipped on wet roads with them yet!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I was hoping we had a couple Vee owners, but I don't know, I might be the only one? The reason I was asking for 1000cc owners, was; I believe the difference between the Wee and the Vee is quite substantial. A Vee owner would know what I am talking about. They might have toned them down a bit now, but a 2005 stock Vee is a crazy, twitchy, suicidal bike that wants to kill you if you don't use a lot of finesse, all the time. So, I need the very best sticky, long wearing, load bearing, high speed tire I can find. I have looked at quite a few reviews of tires for the Vee, but honestly, I just don't know what is one of the best tires for it. I'm not in the financial position to just get a different pair if I don't like them. I will be stuck with what I choose. Also, I will be teaching my sister to ride a bike this year, so she will be spending a lot of time on the back of the Vee for a while while I attempt to teach her enough not to kill herself. I need a quality tire. Also, with my weight and her weight, (she's a tall big boned gal and weighs more than most women, but not overly fat like me) I believe we will be overdoing the load capacity of the bike a bit, so I need all the safety going for us that we can get. I don't plan on ever going off road with it, only street and highway.
Thanks for the help, I need it!! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #6
Given that your bike is a dual sport, of sorts, what kind of riding are you wanting to do. Street or Offroad ?

My BIL (brother in law) has a 1000 strom and he uses different sized tires than what they call for. He uses a 120/80-19 on front and a 160/70-17 on the back.
I think those are slightly wider than the original tires.
Nice to know. Stock for my year is 110's on the front and 150's on the rear. I would go bigger like that if they will fit my 2005. What year is his?

Registered
Tommy,
Here is a video that has more info for you on the PR4.

Like i said im pretty pleased with mine on my multi which like your strom is pretty crazy with the added bonus of 50 more horsepower and a fair bit more torque. The PR4's on mine grip well even with the traction control off. They get the job done.

Registered
I had a 07 wee strom for a few years and 22,000kms. Ran the stock trail wings just fine for the first 12,000kms and had no complaints. But decided to try metzler torance tires and was not a fan found the bike to be far more twitchy. I one of the rare ones to rly like the stock trail wings on that bike.

As for difference between the wee and vee. It rly isn't THAT big a difference. The Vee has more grunt but it oddly seems higher in the rev range. Below 4000rpm the wee strom seemed to work better. The Dl1000 also suffers a bit of throttle twitchyness that can be remedied with a tuner.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #13
I had a 07 wee strom for a few years and 22,000kms. Ran the stock trail wings just fine for the first 12,000kms and had no complaints. But decided to try metzler torance tires and was not a fan found the bike to be far more twitchy. I one of the rare ones to rly like the stock trail wings on that bike.

As for difference between the wee and vee. It rly isn't THAT big a difference. The Vee has more grunt but it oddly seems higher in the rev range. Below 4000rpm the wee strom seemed to work better. The Dl1000 also suffers a bit of throttle twitchyness that can be remedied with a tuner.
It seems like everything takes place between 0 and 4,000 rpm's and it happens fast. All the torque and power at once. If you give it even a little bit too much throttle, the front wants to come right up and throw you off the back. I plan on putting on a G2 throttle tamer, which sounds like it will help quite a bit and is cheaper than a tuner. Anyone try one of those? At my age, I just want a nice bike to ride and not have to use so much finesse all the time, trying to keep it under control. Appreciate the help folks!!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #14
I was wrong on the sizes. When you asked me what year his bike is I had to call him, and he told me the correct tires sizes and tires he is using.

His is a 2005, and he is using the Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires, with a 120/70-19 in the front, and a 170/60-17 in the back. He says that the overall difference between the original tires and his new tires, is 4mm lower height in the front, and 3mm lower height in the back. He feels this is not noticeable at all, but says he loves his tires.
Thanks Bill!! :D

Registered
Tommy if you have some spare time check out this link: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.stromtrooper.com/suspension-tire-tech/34933-tire-thread.html&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjYvYu827TKAhVpmIMKHWdCD5AQFggUMAU&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNG9GQiuPpcRHuDikRTVdcuL1cJ_zA
There are 19 links to other tire threads in the first post and as of today 80 pages of info and opinions on tires for the Strom. Enough to confuse and keep you busy for days.:eek: Tire threads are a bit like oil threads.
Stromtrooper.com https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi3t8bB2bTKAhVCgj4KHW5aADQQFggcMAA&url=http://www.stromtrooper.com/&usg=AFQjCNFljuUbPZsC_P9YXCQNqlFZ5J6nGw is a wealth of knowledge on all things V-Strom.

For the record I run Heideneau K60 Scouts on my 650 as I like to get off pavement plus they wear better than any other tire I have tried. I did run a Metzler Tourance on the rear once and got good wear out of it.
Good luck and go easy on the throttle when Sis is on board.;) The last time I "accidentally" popped a wheelie on the WEE with my wife on back I got a good shot to the ribs.:boxing:

Registered
I don't know the first thing about those bikes, but I'm still voting for TKC 80's. :D
Great and I mean great tire off road but man oh man they wear out fast. Had them on the Strom and the rear disappeared in no time and the front lasted longer but the knobs wore really uneven. There was a new pair on my DR650 when I purchased and the rear is near shot after only a few thousand kilometres. Oddly enough the front is lasting much better and wearing fairly even.For me the K60 Scout is a good compromise for street and trail.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #17
Tommy if you have some spare time check out this link: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.stromtrooper.com/suspension-tire-tech/34933-tire-thread.html&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjYvYu827TKAhVpmIMKHWdCD5AQFggUMAU&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNG9GQiuPpcRHuDikRTVdcuL1cJ_zA
There are 19 links to other tire threads in the first post and as of today 80 pages of info and opinions on tires for the Strom. Enough to confuse and keep you busy for days.:eek: Tire threads are a bit like oil threads.
Stromtrooper.com https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi3t8bB2bTKAhVCgj4KHW5aADQQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stromtrooper.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNFljuUbPZsC_P9YXCQNqlFZ5J6nGw is a wealth of knowledge on all things V-Strom.

For the record I run Heideneau K60 Scouts on my 650 as I like to get off pavement plus they wear better than any other tire I have tried. I did run a Metzler Tourance on the rear once and got good wear out of it.
Good luck and go easy on the throttle when Sis is on board.;) The last time I "accidentally" popped a wheelie on the WEE with my wife on back I got a good shot to the ribs.:boxing:
It was the Stromtrooper site that you shared with me that got me all confused in the first place bro, ha ha. Decisions, decisions, decisions I just didn't know what to do.... it's still a few weeks away from getting it out of storage for the winter and I am just getting all my ducks in order so I will be ready to roll asap!! So far this Michelin Pilot Road 4 is looking like the one. Thanks bro for all the help, I really appreciate it. :D

Banned
Shinko 705s I have a set on my DR650 a good tire and good on the pocketbook.

from the PC webpage.

These tires from Shinko Tire USA are DOT approved dual sport tires designed for 75% street and 25% trail riding. This combination consists of a 110/80-19 front and a 150/70-17 rear, and both are radial tires. These have an aggressive tread pattern that provides excellent wet and dry weather adhesion and the compound resists tearing while riding off road.

This is one of the favorite tires used here at ProCycle by shop employees. We have them on DR650s, a V-Strom, KLRs and more. To be perfectly honest, the only condition this tire does not do well in is mud. Like any dual-sport tire with this high a road percentage, it just does not clear mud well enough. If you are going out to travel in the mud, check out the TKC80s or something a little more knobby biased.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Paul!! Good to see you bro!!

I'm wanting a street tire and I think the Michelin Pilot Road 4 is sounding the best so far. I really need a excellent tire, I'll have my sister on the bike this year. I did read several reviews and video's on the Michelin and it really sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Banned
1 - 20 of 26 Posts