TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I rallied my 4 wheeler around the woods and rural neighborhoods in Alaska, I open carried some bear protection. Now that I'll be cruising a more urban area along with the woods, I'm wondering if my open carry should become concealed carry. Alaskan laws and communities have a pretty solid "shall not be infringed" attitude. There is a difference between zipping around the woods and zipping around town.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yes. The answer to this question is almost always a yes from me. However, my circumstances may not reflect yours. This is mainly due to prior background, training, laws, personal beliefs, etc. I would have to agree with Chip's line of thought however and speculate that you would probably not run into any problems in Alaska in general, providing there is no reason to believe you should (i.e. criminal records, under the influence, etc etc etc.)

Again this is more of a personal question and everyone should make their own decisions based on the information and experience they have. That being said, you have my answer. It's a yes, 99+% of the time.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
As long as it is legal and you are legal in carrying concealed then the answer is 100% yes. The real issue with carrying guns is in the legal rights to do it because almost anything illegal you do while carrying a gun could result in a felony which will preclude you from ever owning a gun from then on. Most all of the new laws and rules being made in many states have just one purpose in mind and it has nothing to do with making us safer and everything to do with their end goal of disarming all of us. Any violation of a gun law here in NY and the vast NE is an automatic felony if you are convicted and there goes your 2A rights for ever. Get caught here with a high capacity magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds even if you only have 10 in it you catch a felony. They want our guns and our rights to ever own them so they will chip away at it one bullet at a time. There is not a judge, lawyer or cop in this country who knows the laws and BS rules of every state or jurisdiction yet any person who carries a gun is mandated to know the laws.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I find it odd that the same people that approve of late term abortions and the selling of baby body parts say "we have to protect the children!" when it comes to gun control.
Nothing "Odd" about them elime, they are so full of $hit their eyes are brown.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I do have a concealed permit, thing is, it is not good for all states. You would think they put you through a federal check, that should mean you are good anywhere in the country. I am glad I had one handy when Mississippi Larry had some fellow break into his cargo trailer about 3 in the morning a couple years ago at Willow Springs dry camp. You just never know and is best to be prepared.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I do have a concealed permit, thing is, it is not good for all states. You would think they put you through a federal check, that should mean you are good anywhere in the country. I am glad I had one handy when Mississippi Larry had some fellow break into his cargo trailer about 3 in the morning a couple years ago at Willow Springs dry camp. You just never know and is best to be prepared.
One of my favorite sayings, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Too bad our politicians could ruin a wet dream!

GaryL

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yes always know where you do and don’t have CC reciprocity. I have 34 states that I can CC legally. Always try to know your rights and laws. There are now easier ways to do this with smartphone apps for iPhone and Android as well as websites that are mobile friendly.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
There is no App, no web site and certainly not a single printed publication that can possibly keep up with all of these ever changing rules in all Obama's "58" US States. My NY Governor signs this crap in midnight rulings while no one is awake and in the morning they are laws. I have CCW rights in all 50 states under HR 218 but I make sure I know the laws in what ever state I am going to or through. I live right by the borders of NY, NJ and PA and can be in all three states at the very same time and all three states have very different rules.

GaryL

·
Registered
713 Posts
There is no App, no web site and certainly not a single printed publication that can possibly keep up with all of these ever changing rules in all Obama's "58" US States. My NY Governor signs this crap in midnight rulings while no one is awake and in the morning they are laws. I have CCW rights in all 50 states under HR 218 but I make sure I know the laws in what ever state I am going to or through. I live right by the borders of NY, NJ and PA and can be in all three states at the very same time and all three states have very different rules.

GaryL
I don’t disagree, but I do my best to be as informed as I can that’s all. Besides I spend very little time in non-friendly carry states. Just my experience of course. It’s definitely wrong what the northeast US, California, Washington, Illinois, etc. are doing. Not denying that at all.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I don’t disagree, but I do my best to be as informed as I can that’s all. Besides I spend very little time in non-friendly carry states. Just my experience of course. It’s definitely wrong what the northeast US, California, Washington, Illinois, etc. are doing. Not denying that at all.
I don't have that choice where I live. Here is some local Folk lore. You can stand on Penny rock with your feet in NY and PA but don't dare step on the NJ side.

Penny rock3.jpg Penny rock4.jpg

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
My riding jacket has foam panels in it for padding. It was easy to cut out the silhouette of my gun and store it there. It stays in with a velcro liner. I can reach it very easily and no one can feel it with a search pat down. Even removing the jacket you can't tell as I balanced the other side with loaded magazines. It's a small semi auto DAO in stainless just about jamb proof, but not very accurate. 5+1 and 2 mags.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
My riding jacket has foam panels in it for padding. It was easy to cut out the silhouette of my gun and store it there. It stays in with a velcro liner. I can reach it very easily and no one can feel it with a search pat down. Even removing the jacket you can't tell as I balanced the other side with loaded magazines. It's a small semi auto DAO in stainless just about jamb proof, but not very accurate. 5+1 and 2 mags.

I am a little lost on this one, "DAO"= Double Action Only? I have semi autos that are DA for the first shot but SA for each consecutive shot. With a small semi auto pistol if you have to manually cock the hammer with the trigger for each shot you can be very sure it will be highly inaccurate.

GaryL

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nothing "Odd" about them elime, they are so full of $hit their eyes are brown.

GaryL
Please don't lump all us "brown eyes" together. You would probably consider me a liberal with many issues but the right to defend yourself is the most basic of all rights and as the man says, I won't leave home without it!
Been shooting longer than I've been riding(and that's a long time)!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Primarily, safety. Most DA-only autopistols are striker-fired and thus require no external thumb safety (a striker-fired auto isn't actually in-battery—the chambered round is seated in the breech, the bolt is closed and locked, but the firing pin is disconnected from the trigger and striker assembly; pulling the trigger cocks first the firing pin then the striker, then releases the spring-loaded striker to strike the firing pin and fire the round). Even dropping a loaded, chambered DAO's won't cause accidental discharges in most DAO autopistols. There is no safety to remember to disengage.

There are other points as well:

No hammer to snag on holster or clothing. Lighter weight, as many DAO's utilize a composite frame due to the reduced stress a striker design places on the pistol—the bolt takes most of the punishment from firing...some models even have a composite slide for the same reason. Perception—DAO's generally have longer, heavier trigger pull weights, which does away with the so-called 'hair trigger' the anti-gun media and lawyers love to babble about.

I am left handed. DA's have a decock to safely lower the half cocked hammer. Hard to do left handed.

Regarding accuracy; it's a 2.5" barrel. It's not accurate and I don't need it to be. If someone is more than 10' from me, I can turn and leave, duck, hide, etc. The gun is protect myself as a last resort, when there is no other option. Doesn't mean I won't remove it from my jacket and have it in my hand, just that it's not in play until I am in fear of my life and there is no other option. This is also why I don't feel the need for a large capacity magazine either. I'm not getting into a shoot out like in the westerns. And the 380 caliber? It's a 9mm without the velocity. At close range, I think it will be just as effective, besides being light and easy to control if I do need to pull the trigger more than once or twice.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts