TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Seems like a lot of folks consider the TW a good campground bike or farm cruiser. The more time I spend in the saddle my TW the more capable I think it is. What is the definition of an Adventure bike anyway? Must it be 650cc or bigger? Must it have a 35" seat height? Ability to cruise at 75mph all day? Aluminum panniers?

Just want to know what you guys / gals think. The whole "ADV" scene has really become it's own sub genre...do we fit in with our small (but mighty) TWs?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Scroll down to about post #1370. I define an adventure bike as anything with 2 (or 3) wheels between 50 and 2,000cc's and they can stuff their efforts to define the "genre". It's only an adventure bike if you use it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Any bike is an "adventure" bike.....if you take it on adventures. That's the key. I know guys with 1000cc "adventure" bikes that never take them out of town. The TW is an extremely capable bike. Put a cyclerack on it, put some panniers on it, load it down with camping gear and head out. Ride it as far as you want to go, it'll take you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both very good points. I consider the TW to be one of the best dual sports around as long as you understand it's limitations.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I'd like to see one of those ADVriders tell him his bike doesn't fit the "genre", as they are prone to do. Hope it ain't in a dark alley.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Scroll down to about post #1370. I define an adventure bike as anything with 2 (or 3) wheels between 50 and 2,000cc's and they can stuff their efforts to define the "genre". It's only an adventure bike if you use it.
totally agree...i remember reading a thread or article about a guy who went on a very long cross country trip on a honda CT90 or 110...can't remember specifics though...you make it do what you want it to do as long as you're not worried about getting somewhere fast then you're set...but these type of trips usually aren't about the speed it's about enjoying the ride

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Absolutely. Our Tw's are kitted out as ADV bikes. Here's a couple of shots from our 1400 mile trip in July through all 6 New England states, and across part of Quebec. If anything, the TW's make it MORE of an adventure than a larger displacement bike! No jumping on the interstate for a quick ride home or to the nearest Starbucks for these adventurers! You're in it for the long haul!

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think maybe what you're asking 50 is the whole "measuring stick" question. Anyone can print off the specs and say, "we'll this bike beats that bike!", blah blah blah. But really the only two things a stock TW is held back on is its range and speed. Once you remedy the range problem, we've actually got the better adventure bike because we get to enjoy the scenery. Those GS guys just have foggy memories from their supersonic trips. Lol.

But really, I agree with the others, the bike is what you make it, like this guy, Shinji Kazama.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If the TW would have been around in the 60's we would have had LOTS of adventures on them. As it was, all adventures were had with Hodaka 100's, Honda 50/55/90's, a 250 Scrambler in '67, Bridgestones, Allstates, etc. My TW200 now provides all the adventure I need.

My favorite feature(s): The TW, when running right, will keep chugging along at idle. One mph? Nice and slow for the rocky trails I ride. And, then hit 60+ for the trip to the truck on the pavement.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm still looking for the basic description of 'adventure riding'....lol.....Even the ADV group couldn't agree on singular definition when I posed that question to them(!) So...the whole 'genre' is a figment of their imagination....
Pretty neat,huh? I think,therefore I am....read that somewhere.....Therefore,if Malcom's Mobylette 50 GS ,and Pierre's BMW Dakar Bi-centennial Commemorative 895cc qualify,then so does the mighty TW !!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I started my 'riding career' on a CT-90 just a few years ago. Did all I could do to make it an ADV bike. Windshield, panniers, dual fuel tank, better gearing, lifan 140cc motor, etc, etc. Let me just say, I took it to its limit, mechanically.

took it on two big trips, both of which took me across the Mississippi river. Camped where I could, travelled around the big cities, didn't get in any hurry. A lot of good memories. But knew I needed more bike.

that's when I saw the TW & found this forum. And haven't looked back since. Alittle better travelling speed. More load capacity. Better comfort.

I've only ridden one other 'big bike' in my 'career', and it was a 650cc BMW. Didn't like it. The TW is enough for me. So long as they keep making them, I'll keep owning them.

for me, the TW is the ultimate adv bike. Not to fast to enjoy the scenery. Not to slow to keep up with traffic. Not to heavy to pick up by yourself. Not to light to feel like a moped. Enough traction to go anywhere. Simple mechanics to fix it yourself and make it your own.

how many other bike can 'do it all', like the mighty TW?

these are just my thoughts. TIM

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
my 2000 mile ride in july was an adventure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd like to see one of those ADVriders tell him his bike doesn't fit the "genre", as they are prone to do. Hope it ain't in a dark alley.
Lol. I know the guy. His sportster DS is a gnarly beast. He's a good guy to have around an rides his bikes hard.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
To me its more of an adventure bike than the big boys are. It will go places easily that a big bike will really struggle or not make it. I just finished a 2 day ride in missouri with a bunch of guys on advrider. Alot of the guys were amazed that i could stay with them. We went down a road where the creek is part of the road for 70-80yards. Everybody stopped and looked at it. One of the guys had done it before and said its really slick n mossy. So i idled all the way across it without a problem. The next guy got out in the middle and started sliding in circles then came the ktm 450exc who made it 10' and down he went down and then a wr250 did about the same thing so for giggles i rode right back down the creek like it was my job. Low gearing and no power pays off at times. Either my battery went poo or my regulator died. So i had to turn off the headlight and bumped started it for a day and a half. Finished the ride. These new F.I. Bikes are nice but if a battery dies your dead in the water. I believe the TW is about the ultimate adventure bike for the adventures im looking for. "Mileage may vary" for others.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts