TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I think YES! I would want to either see the dealer service records or gain trust with the owner that he has changed the oil at least once since new and kept the chain adjusted. Look inside the gas tank for rust and check the bike over for dents in the tank and in the skid plate and other tell tail signs of any abuse like the handle bars being tweaked or signs of it being left outdoors. The engine should start quick with the button and the choke pulled out and then idle once it is warmed up some. The engine should not have any rat a tat noise from the top end. If it passes these simple inspections then you should be good to go. The rack is a $200 option and a very nice one. Make very sure there is absolutely no issues with getting the title and transfer to you or No Deal!

Welcome to our addiction if all goes well.

GaryL

·
Registered
762 Posts
That's not a ripoff - but you can do better.

I bought my 2014 TW with a couple hundred miles on it for less.

That's seven years old - IIRC from prices and NADA, price should be around 2500 or lower.

Actually, the best rule of thumb on CrackedList is, starting with a legitimate offering (as opposed to a possible stolen or a crack-smoker item) take twenty percent off it. So that puts you at $2600...which is probably in the ballpark.

You could feel him out beforehand, find out if he has an attitude (if he does, just leave it; he won't haggle and he'll wig out on a lowball) and then go see him with money in the pocket. Or where you can get it quickly - best to not have it on your person when meeting a stranger. Make it plain that if the papers are in line, it's cash on the table, RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

It's seductive. He may rather lick has wounds and get SOMETHING than have that thing age, unused, in his garage for years more.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but there were brand new 13s and 14s at my local dealer LAST YEAR that were going for 34-3600.
Warranty, that new bike smell... You cant go wrong.

That kind of money for an old bike? Um, NO.

I buy bikes all the time. Literally, all the time.
This is not some hard to find rare ride.
These bikes are ubiquitous. And I don't care what options it has on it.
When you are buying, Anything that deviates from rock stock is a detraction.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
That's not a ripoff - but you can do better.

I bought my 2014 TW with a couple hundred miles on it for less.

That's seven years old - IIRC from prices and NADA, price should be around 2500 or lower.

Actually, the best rule of thumb on CrackedList is, starting with a legitimate offering (as opposed to a possible stolen or a crack-smoker item) take twenty percent off it. So that puts you at $2600...which is probably in the ballpark.

You could feel him out beforehand, find out if he has an attitude (if he does, just leave it; he won't haggle and he'll wig out on a lowball) and then go see him with money in the pocket. Or where you can get it quickly - best to not have it on your person when meeting a stranger. Make it plain that if the papers are in line, it's cash on the table, RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

It's seductive. He may rather lick has wounds and get SOMETHING than have that thing age, unused, in his garage for years more.
First, Just Passing Through from where? Filling in your member profile so we know what part of the country you are in might help. Second, the model year of a TW between 2001 and today is rather meaningless and the NADA prices are even less meaningless. Any 2001 or newer TW with under 1,000 miles could be valued the same because they are the same and the overall condition and options is what does matter. Where you are also plays a big part in the price and Condition, condition, condition and low miles is what determines the price as far as many of us are concerned. Then it all comes down to the color combination and weather you love it or not. As an example, I love the blue colors of both the 2006 and the 2014 model years. Given a choice between a 2006 and a 2014 that are both in identical condition with the same miles I would not give much more for the 2014 than I would for the 2006. With the exact same miles on the clock the only real consideration I would look at is the age of the tires and pay accordingly, maybe just $200 difference.

Keep in mind I am in NY so other areas may be very different. A brand new TW here will easily be well over $4,000 out the door with taxes and title and closer to $4,500+. I know I have heard of a lot of those Phantom out the door deals for between $3500-$3800 out the door but I never have seen them here. The subject bike here is basically listed at $3,000 plus the $200 cycle rack or $3200 out the door. Sure, $2500-$2800 would be a much better deal but then you have to decide if you really want a nice TW now or some time later. Good things do come to those who wait but I would rather be riding.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but there were brand new 13s and 14s at my local dealer LAST YEAR that were going for 34-3600.
Warranty, that new bike smell... You cant go wrong.

That kind of money for an old bike? Um, NO.

I buy bikes all the time. Literally, all the time.
This is not some hard to find rare ride.
These bikes are ubiquitous. And I don't care what options it has on it.
When you are buying, Anything that deviates from rock stock is a detraction.
Have you ever really known a guy who actually bought a TW left over for $3400-$3600 OUT THE DOOR? I will admit I don't go anywhere close to NYC but I am only 70 miles NW of you. I searched far and wide up here and over in PA and NJ and the best I could find were all just Come on prices and once all the BS fees and taxes were added in the TW was always over $4,000+ out the door. I actually sent a buddy over to a PA dealer who listed the price at $3699 OTD and he came back without a TW because he didn't bring enough money. Where we are and where we are willing to travel to get a deal is important but going in to NY City from here is a nightmare for a country boy like me and the freaking tolls have to be added into any price.

GaryL

·
Registered
762 Posts
First, Just Passing Through from where? Filling in your member profile so we know what part of the country you are in might help. Second, the model year of a TW between 2001 and today is rather meaningless and the NADA prices are even less meaningless. Any 2001 or newer TW with under 1,000 miles could be valued the same because they are the same and the overall condition and options is what does matter. Where you are also plays a big part in the price and Condition, condition, condition and low miles is what determines the price as far as many of us are concerned. Then it all comes down to the color combination and weather you love it or not. As an example, I love the blue colors of both the 2006 and the 2014 model years. Given a choice between a 2006 and a 2014 that are both in identical condition with the same miles I would not give much more for the 2014 than I would for the 2006. With the exact same miles on the clock the only real consideration I would look at is the age of the tires and pay accordingly, maybe just $200 difference.

Keep in mind I am in NY so other areas may be very different. A brand new TW here will easily be well over $4,000 out the door with taxes and title and closer to $4,500+. I know I have heard of a lot of those Phantom out the door deals for between $3500-$3800 out the door but I never have seen them here. The subject bike here is basically listed at $3,000 plus the $200 cycle rack or $3200 out the door. Sure, $2500-$2800 would be a much better deal but then you have to decide if you really want a nice TW now or some time later. Good things do come to those who wait but I would rather be riding.

GaryL
Cool your jets. Answer to your question: I'm in Western Montana. Yes, things like this are cheaper here - because they're popular and because the riding season is much longer. Meaning, of course, there are more of them around. And yes, that is what I paid. And - this will frost you - we in Montana PAY no sales tax. On ANYTHING, except a hotel bed-tax...our local Solons couldn't resist soaking them flatlanders who wander through.

So yes, I paid less than that for a year-old MSF trainer with under 300 miles on it, which had been maintained by the shop that was selling it.

NADA meaningless? They get those prices FROM sales reports. The harsh reality of it is, a motorcycle that is not a Harley-Davidson has a strong depreciation rate.

Now, my advice is free - and worth it, too. I guarantee it. But I know what I paid for and I know what I see in Cycle Trader, Craigslist, and NADA value listings.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I have been thinking about getting a tdub and I saw this one.

2009 tw200 ONLY 930 miles
Gotta say...depends on where you live...but the 2016 model is out....and frankly you can likely pick up a NEW 2014 or 2015 for around $4000 {at least in the Midwest} out the door....one that has not been sitting in somebody's garage for 6 years....maybe $2800, but if you can shell out 3200 bucks, my guess is you can pay the 4000-4500 for one with a warranty....just saying?

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Just for information purposes....I paid $4400 for my new 2014 out the door with Stock Rack tossed in at Maumee[Toledo}, Ohio...one year later Montezuma Nick with the same dealer got his new 2015 out the door for $4300 and they tossed in the Rack, Helmet, and Riding Gloves.....now that included the taxes, title, and so called "Prep" which they dumped....sometimes{and I hate wheeling and dealing} you just gotta stand firm....my personal opinion on a 2009 even with no miles I would not go above $2700 or $2800....remember the warrenty is worth it's weight in Gold{even though I have not had to use mine and now approach 4000 miles} :D

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I was thinking north mid central.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Why do they call it THE MIDWEST when it is really the MIDEAST? -J-
Hell if I know....guess from back in the early 1800s when Ohio was the Western Frontier....I remember living in Dodge City they said I was from the east, I told them they were full of Sh(t, we in this neck of the woods have nothing in common with those blue blooded Obama supporting assclowns on the east coast.... :eek:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Over here Harleys depreciate like fresh bread .......
That's because Pirates of Milwaukee didn't get such good reviews where you are.

And that, IMHO, is what Harleys ARE. Props, for people who want to play Bad-Dasses.

Now, this forum being what it is, there will be some H-D owners popping up here, telling me I'm full of what makes the grass green...that those are GREAT machines. ( I would say they're GRATING machines)

And that's fine; but the REASON those obsolete-fifty-years-ago things keep their value is, everyone wants to play pirate. At least for awhile, until the novelty wears off.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
^^^^ While a guy was asking about our TWs on the ride today, he was ripping HD and riders....I just laughed told him they were basically for old fat guys who wanted to drag their wives around or hang around with other old guys still thinking the were bad ass 30 somethings, but spent the majority of time polishing up their rides, for a 10 mile trek on a sunny day in July on the weekend. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Why do they call it THE MIDWEST when it is really the MIDEAST? -J-
In the old days, when the center of life was NeYawk...everything west of the Hudson River was WEST. Buffalo was the FAR West. Ohio was, they thought, the inpenetrable forest...incapable of supporting human life. And their contempt for Ohioans demonstrated it; they thought of them as not human.

Only BosWashNeYawkPhilly, were the Middle Earth.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
And that is your opinion.

That's because Pirates of Milwaukee didn't get such good reviews where you are.

And that, IMHO, is what Harleys ARE. Props, for people who want to play Bad-Dasses.

Now, this forum being what it is, there will be some H-D owners popping up here, telling me I'm full of what makes the grass green...that those are GREAT machines. ( I would say they're GRATING machines)

And that's fine; but the REASON those obsolete-fifty-years-ago things keep their value is, everyone wants to play pirate. At least for awhile, until the novelty wears off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts