TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

Registered
Always. Everywhere, even when riding in states that don't require them. I've hit the pavement twice, once sent there by a deer, another time by a pickup truck, both times, the front facial area of my (modular) full face helmet was destroyed, face shield and chin bar totally ground down by asphalt. I had other contact points too, but, my riding jackets and pants handled that.
At no time in either accident did I have the time, or awareness about myself to think "oh, golly, I really was hit by that truck, I'd probably benefit by paying attention to my face's orientation to the pavement for the next few seconds". uh uh. split second "Oh Crap ! Then, in the ambulance, looking up at EMT's wondering which hospital they're taking me to. I heard about all the acrobatics and flying through the air from cops and witnesses, no recollection at all, so , sorry for the long tale, but, yup. Full coverage, every time.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #4
Always. Everywhere, even when riding in states that don't require them. I've hit the pavement twice, once sent there by a deer, another time by a pickup truck, both times, the front facial area of my (modular) full face helmet was destroyed, face shield and chin bar totally ground down by asphalt. I had other contact points too, but, my riding jackets and pants handled that.
At no time in either accident did I have the time, or awareness about myself to think "oh, golly, I really was hit by that truck, I'd probably benefit by paying attention to my face's orientation to the pavement for the next few seconds". uh uh. split second "Oh Crap ! Then, in the ambulance, looking up at EMT's wondering which hospital they're taking me to. I heard about all the acrobatics and flying through the air from cops and witnesses, no recollection at all, so , sorry for the long tale, but, yup. Full coverage, every time.
Very real story; thanks for sharing that bro. +1

Registered
I won't leave my driveway without a helmet either. The only time I will ride without a helmet is when I'm going to the potty 100 yds. away in a campground in first gear at 5 mph .....and even this isn't too smart given the fact that my worst head injury happened at a dead stop! :eek:

Registered
as a kid I remember stopping between two trees (yes totally stopped feet down) and my boot slipped on a wet muddy tree root and I went down hitting my head on one of the trees so hard I could hardly believe it, thankfully I was wearing a helmet or I think it might have broke my very thick skull! after that it was never even a question it's helmet on every time

Registered
I always wear a helmet and after a little incident that happened today while riding with a friend my ATGATT rule is reinforced.

My friend/coworker and I decided to head off island to find motorcycle boots after our company meeting this afternoon. It started sprinkling so I asked her if she was okay or wanted to turn back since she isn't an avid rider. She said she has ridden in rain (last year with me) so she was good. Well, as we rounded a corner at a low speed, I heard a loud noise and as I glanced in my mirror, I saw her down on the pavement. She jumped right up and seemed in good spirits but her windscreen was broken so I thought we should just find a restaurant, let her get her composure, have a bite and ride on if her motorcycle was okay. Well, she was holding her shoulder and didn't think she could ride. Some nice folks that jumped out to help called 911 and when the paramedics came, they looked at her leg and decided she needed stitches. I called her husband then followed the ambulance to the ER. They did x-rays of her shoulder and knee then stitched her knee up. As soon as her husband arrived, I headed home because I didn't want to be riding in rain and darkness. She texted me a while ago and it turns out her humerus is fractured. They considered doing surgery and decided she didn't need it. While I was sitting with her in the ER, I examined her helmet. The visor and chin bar were both scratched pretty good. She doesn't know if her head hit the pavement or just that chin and visor section. She was a little upset that her helmet was now damaged but I reminded her that it did it's job, that could have been her chin and the side of her face. We were going slow so it's just hard for me to comprehend the damage suffered...really reinforces the need for good gear although I don't think she will be needing those boots anytime soon...

Registered
Sometimes I ride up and down the street in front of the house without a helmet on especially if I am listening for an unusual noise or sound the TW might be making. I can hear better without the helmet.

But I agree with most everyone that wearing a helmet is the smart thing to do. I have been saved a few time because I had it on.

However, I absolutely detest the fact that the powers in Sacramento, i.e. the state government, have decided what is best for me by dictating that I have to wear one. I really really hate that.

Super Moderator
Sometimes I ride up and down the street in front of the house without a helmet on especially if I am listening for an unusual noise or sound the TW might be making. I can hear better without the helmet.

But I agree with most everyone that wearing a helmet is the smart thing to do. I have been saved a few time because I had it on.

However, I absolutely detest the fact that the powers in Sacramento, i.e. the state government, have decided what is best for me by dictating that I have to wear one. I really really hate that.
That pretty much nails it but I stopped going helmet less listening for noises on a TW... It keeps me from sleeping. I do use a open face for noise listening and a full face for riding in general..

Funny story around my helmet related to a post from yesterday, I'll tell it later... Get as good a helmet as you can afford, your life and family's well being depend on it..
image.jpeg

Super Moderator
Anyone following this and knowing any of the details knows this is about someone not wanting to loose someone they care about and only wanting to help. Perhaps a public call out was a bit much but only the people involved will ever know end of day if this was what was needed.. Patton got fired for it. Was it justified? Is it justified now? None of us can be the judge.. and shouldn't try to be.

I'll buy the tickets for you two very good friends to go watch "a life worth living" together. I'm sure if nothing else it will make both of you think this through.

Registered
JJ, there really is no downstairs section or basement. Folks like to say the off-topic section is where they should be allowed to say whatever they want ( vulgar, racist, hate mongering, you name it) without anyone being upset or the mods/admin censuring them. But when you log on and go to 'New Posts" to see what's new; those posts are right there along with everything else. So it really makes no difference where it is posted unless unless someone goes to a specific forum looking for something.
This is correct. Some forums I belong to have a thread in the "off topic" section set to a subscribe only thread. Anyone can subscribe but you have to in order to see it. That thread is THE only place any off color posts are tolerated.

Registered
I am a member of another forum where access to the 'Downstairs' section is a personal option. You either sign up for it and grant yourself the option of entering or you deny yourself access.....in which case, only the opposing combatants and those on the playground who goad them on, are subjected to the foray. The innocents are spared the agony.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Sorry, rbm.....I was in the process of posting before yours came up.:icon_salut:

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #19
To all; including TWilight; I apologize.

Mike; you know I genuinely love you my brother; but sometimes you just drive me crazy.

I would be there for you until the end as I've already told you.

I honestly was only trying to help and challenge you. I firmly do believe you would have said the same thing to me; that I said to you; in fact I know you would have and that was nothing more than "Buck up and carry on". What choice do we have?

Again, Mike; I apologize.

All posts relating to this have been deleted by me (but are saved if higher powers) want to review and take appropriate action with me. I will carry on until no longer needed here. Purple I took down the other thread as well for the peace of the forum.

We all make an mistake from time to time. I never said I was perfect; but I never have lied nor never will lie to anyone here. It was never my intent to do anything but good with my first post.

Now if we can all just carry on without any further comments; let's all do so.

Any further comments; please don't post them here. PM me. I will respond in kind. Let the forum continue as it should.

I apologize.

tommy

1 - 20 of 63 Posts