TW200 Forum banner

Do you work on your TW? Do you enjoy it?

• YES I work on my TW, YES I enjoy it.

Votes: 85 84.2%
  • NO I don't have time/energy to work on my TW, but YES I would enjoy it.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • YES I work on my TW, NO I don't enjoy it.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • NO I don't work on my TW, NO I don't enjoy it.

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Having my only bike apart gives me a little anxiety.
Me too!

But the TW is so simple to work on.

Just to give you an example, this is what's involved in doing a valve adjustment on a KLR 650 (yes this is my KLR and I did it myself):

View attachment IMG_20190401_202827.jpg View attachment IMG_20190401_202835.jpg

On the TW so far I only installed wider footpegs and I changed the rear sprocket, but the TW is so simple that I wouldn't hesitate to dive into the engine.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I hear ya!
Could you design a TW rear wheel that weighs less than a locomotive wheel? I'll be your first customer!
Wouldn't an aluminum alloy rear hoop be just wonderful?
While we're at it we'll throw in a disc brake. Have a removable aluminum rim like ATV trailer rims so you can more easily swap tires for seasons and terrain.:cool:
I wonder if this would fit...https://recstuff.com/trailer-wheels/aluminum-trailer-wheels/12x4-4-bolt-on-4-aluminum-series04-trailer-wheel/

I could design and 3d illustrate one with enough precision to be machined but fabricating one, that's way out of my tool and skill range. My lathe is only 7x12 with plastic gears. Good for aluminum but not at that scale. Best I could do is to make axle spacers.

And since we're talking about aluminum why the hell couldn't they have made the swing arm out of it. That's a big chunk of steel. I guess a little weight keeps the wide tires from drifting.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
TW:

"And since we're talking about aluminum why the hell couldn't they have made the swing arm out of it. That's a big chunk of steel. I guess a little weight keeps the wide tires from drifting."

Yeah...why wish for a loaf of bread when you can wish for the whole grocery store?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
lol......so true. I tend to think big and then dial back to something more realistic.

The aluminum rear wheel would be a great idea. Looking at aluminum rim prices it seems reasonable until you take into account volume and set up fees. You've got me hunting aluminum trailer rims now....

·
Registered
264 Posts
I certainly fall under the category of enjoying riding more than fiddling on the bike, but I think that is primarily because I am not super confident in my experience/knowledge working on my bikes. It's been a long time, so I am definitely rusty on even what I know.

With that said, I am trying to make it a point to do as much of my own work as I can. If I mess something up, I'll take it in. The Carbs are a bit of a pain in the ass, but I did have fun working on them this weekend (even though at one point I am fairly certain I put them back together incorrectly, as it wouldn't run properly)—I definitely gained some confidence with the carbs this weekend. Changing oil is super easy, so I don't imagine I'll ever pay anyone to do that. I will take the bike in for tires though. I don't think I'll ever have patience for that. Although I guess if I ever get a flat out on a trail I had better at least be able to do it. Ugh.

I'll be attempting a valve adjustment here in the next few weeks. Tdubs Kid has a great video, and it looks pretty simple overall, so I should be able to manage it and save $$ from taking it in. I'd like to save $$ for buying parts and equipment for the bike and trips (as well as a future secondary bike).

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I certainly fall under the category of enjoying riding more than fiddling on the bike, but I think that is primarily because I am not super confident in my experience/knowledge working on my bikes. It's been a long time, so I am definitely rusty on even what I know.

With that said, I am trying to make it a point to do as much of my own work as I can. If I mess something up, I'll take it in. The Carbs are a bit of a pain in the ass, but I did have fun working on them this weekend (even though at one point I am fairly certain I put them back together incorrectly, as it wouldn't run properly)—I definitely gained some confidence with the carbs this weekend. Changing oil is super easy, so I don't imagine I'll ever pay anyone to do that. I will take the bike in for tires though. I don't think I'll ever have patience for that. Although I guess if I ever get a flat out on a trail I had better at least be able to do it. Ugh.

I'll be attempting a valve adjustment here in the next few weeks. Tdubs Kid has a great video, and it looks pretty simple overall, so I should be able to manage it and save $$ from taking it in. I'd like to save $$ for buying parts and equipment for the bike and trips (as well as a future secondary bike).
In 4 years off road on some sharp rocks I've yet to get a flat. Just avoid nails and you should be fine. IMO Roofing nails off the back of trucks are you're only threat really. Pinch flats really aren't possible with these big wheels. It is possible I guess for your tube to slide in the rim and t the valve get damaged.

That's is a great tutorial, as long as you following the detail and triple check each step. I did mine last spring and so far so good....it's time for another round I think.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Me too!

But the TW is so simple to work on.

Just to give you an example, this is what's involved in doing a valve adjustment on a KLR 650 (yes this is my KLR and I did it myself):

View attachment 193692 View attachment 193694

On the TW so far I only installed wider footpegs and I changed the rear sprocket, but the TW is so simple that I wouldn't hesitate to dive into the engine.
Hard to believe no one has marketed a tool to replace those shims without taking things all apart. I was using one on Yamaha's back in the 80's.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Hey, Tylermoney...you're getting there, man!

I see you live in Austin but you have "Tyler" in your handle.
You don't happen to be from Tyler, TX do you?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am not from Tyler, but I have been there. It’s probably been 20yrs 😄

Born and raised in Austin, with a 10yr detour in Pittsburgh PA.

Hey, Tylermoney...you're getting there, man!

I see you live in Austin but you have "Tyler" in your handle.
You don't happen to be from Tyler, TX do you?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Hell, I'd rather spend 10 years in Tyler, TX than Pittsburg, PA!
And Tyler is the redneck capitol of Texas...along with a few others. Like Beaumont! I was there for a really long year...

Betty & I nearly bought a Suziki shop in Tyler many years ago..."Jim's Suzuki". Backed out finally...the best move we ever made!
Years later, we had a Kawasaki/Polaris shop in Grapevine...the worst move we ever made!

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
The Admiral does all the work on all our bikes, and I do all the work on The Admiral.... it’s just better if we both stick to doing what we’re good at.
That pretty much explains his Love/Hate relationship with Hammers!:cool:

GaryL

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I was born with a wrench in my hand and do all of my own wrenching on just about everything mechanical I own. Love it at times and hate it other times. Tire changes go to the dealer but just the wheels and I have not gone deep inside an engine in a long time. Carbs don't bother me on the TW but some more intricate ones sure do. Getting too old now to enjoy what was once a hobby for me but making stuff perform better than original was always my goal. Buying, fixing and selling TWs sure has bought a bunch of fishing bait for me and kept my off my ass these last 20 years since I retired. I can't seem to keep a motorcycle these days because just about the time I finish rebuilding one someone comes along and has to have it real bad. My last project BW350 just went down the road on Sunday even though I said this was the one I am keeping. It was just too nice and way too powerful for these old bones to ever really enjoy. I suspect it won't be long before I am hopping up a cool Track Chair to get around on.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
it won't be long before I am hopping up a cool Track Chair to get around on.

GaryL
You know what they say about ability to ride.........80% the rider 20% the ride

·
Registered
45 Posts
I enjoy working on my bikes, and do as much of the work as possible myself, but I don't always have the time/tools/experience to do a proper job. I'm lucky to have a shop nearby that I feel does quality work at a fair price. Mostly, I buy tires from them and have them do the mount and balance, though I will lever tires on my off road bikes. It is very gratifying to to successfully complete a repair, and likewise frustrating to feel you're in over your head, or to find that a shop has screwed something up. You just have to weigh your options. I also feel lucky to be a member of forums where folks are supportive of your endeavors. It is a great confidence booster for tackling the kind of job that might, at first, make you think twice about beginning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I work on mine just to educate myself in case I have a failure out on the trail. But I don't enjoy it. Maybe I'll like it better as my skills increase, because I'm 40 years old and never worked on cars or motorcycles or anything before.

Changing a front tube on my son's xt225 was a very frustrating exercise, as I pinched 2 tubes with the tire spoons and made new holes in them.

I tried to clean the carbs on my wife's v-star and ended up sending it to the mechanic after I couldn't get them synced.

I'm terrified about doing things like valve adjustments, but when the time comes I'm going to force myself to try it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I hate swapping tires too ... granted I have never done it on a motorcycle, only bicycles (which is generally easier unless, like me, you were putting double thick tubes in on smaller tires). I was hesitant to work on carbs, but I'll admit I am getting a little more confident with the TW. I've taken it apart of few times now, made a few mistakes, but those have helped me learn some things (like don't lose the little spring that sets the needle to the cap to properly move!!!).

Anywho, I will be doing a valve adjustment soon, but there is a great video on youtube by tdubskids that goes through it in detail. He actually has a bunch of maintenance videos (tires, exhaust slip on install, rack install, tail lights, etc). Videos help me see the project through to completion, so I don't get stuck up on my own potential of screwing it up :) ... even though I still do :p

I work on mine just to educate myself in case I have a failure out on the trail. But I don't enjoy it. Maybe I'll like it better as my skills increase, because I'm 40 years old and never worked on cars or motorcycles or anything before.

Changing a front tube on my son's xt225 was a very frustrating exercise, as I pinched 2 tubes with the tire spoons and made new holes in them.

I tried to clean the carbs on my wife's v-star and ended up sending it to the mechanic after I couldn't get them synced.

I'm terrified about doing things like valve adjustments, but when the time comes I'm going to force myself to try it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts