TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local bike mechanic claims Seafoam doesn't work on TW size jets...

What do you think? Is it helping with the upkeep on your bike?

Also, what additive do you use if you do use ethanol gas?

BTW, resurrected my 1987 TW with the help of this forum... THANK YOU, one and all!

·
Registered
368 Posts

BTW, resurrected my 1987 TW with the help of this forum... THANK YOU, one and all!
Yes, seafoam will help keep your carb and jets clean as an additive. If gas can flow through the jets, so can the seafoam. As far as an ethanol treatment, you can use seafoam for that as well.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I use it in everything from tiny Honda generators with iity bitty jets (that is the official size) to most recently, my new (to me) PC800 that would barely run on choke. The stuff works miracles on all sorts of stuff.

Got me three cans onsite so I don't run out.

Saves a bunch of carb disassembly. There is a crapload (the actual official number is a national secret) of motorcycles around here, and they all get Seafoamed sooner than later.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
it works! my riding mower was running funny the other day. seafoam and run great since....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have always used Redline Complete Fuel system cleaner. Have seen some test done with and without with similar bikes fuel etc. And the valves and intake stayed much cleaner. But as far as seafoam or any other it is so diluted that it would be fine. If it didn't run through the jets where would it go??

If you have access to REC90 fuel, I would run it. It is widely available here because of all the boats, but it is pure gasoline, no ethanol. Which equates to no water issues and more power.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
nothing a "mechanic" loves more than to charge people $100 to $200 each year to "rebuild and clean" their carbs when he really cleans the pilot jet and throws the float bowl back on using the old gasket.

Seafoam & non ethanol fuel really brings the TW to life and prevents visits to "mechanics"

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have always used Redline Complete Fuel system cleaner. Have seen some test done with and without with similar bikes fuel etc. And the valves and intake stayed much cleaner. But as far as seafoam or any other it is so diluted that it would be fine. If it didn't run through the jets where would it go??

If you have access to REC90 fuel, I would run it. It is widely available here because of all the boats, but it is pure gasoline, no ethanol. Which equates to no water issues and more power.
This is the only one I use anymore.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts

Your Local Bike Mechanic is clearly a scientist lacking real scientific proof! I love these guys who make such biased claims with nothing to back them up. SeaFoam has been used, mostly in Marine applications for a long time with excellent results. Jet size has absolutely nothing to do with the science. Use a 12MM wrench and tighten up your mechanics nuts!

GaryL

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Just catching up with this thread. From experience, I have found that Seafoam generally works most of the time.

But I have come across a few carbs from bikes that had been sitting for years, where the holes in the pilot jets were completely blocked with hardened crud.

The only solution I have found is to physically unblock the holes with a wire, or replace the jet.....when the hole is damaged or distorted from trying to clear it with the wire.

My conclusion is that for the Seafoam to work there should be at least some minimal flow through the jet.

If there isn't at least that minimal flow, there is no way for the Seafoam to get to the blockage.

jb

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Just catching up with this thread. From experience, I have found that Seafoam generally works most of the time.

But I have come across a few carbs from bikes that had been sitting for years, where the holes in the pilot jets were completely blocked with hardened crud.

The only solution I have found is to physically unblock the holes with a wire, or replace the jet.....when the hole is damaged or distorted from trying to clear it with the wire.

My conclusion is that for the Seafoam to work there should be at least some minimal flow through the jet.

If there isn't at least that minimal flow, there is no way for the Seafoam to get to the blockage.

jb
Guys who have aceteline torches have a set of tiny orifice files to clear such blockages and that is the only way I know to get the gunk out. just go slow with the tiniest file wire so you don't make a 116 jet in to a 200.

GaryL

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I love Seafoam but I consider it a maintenance product as opposed to a repair product

As Jbfla mentions the pilot jet is so critical to overall performance I always replace them (never had success in cleaning them but I have about 150 of them in a jar soaking in carb cleaner from years of TW tinkering)
Seafoam.jpg

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'd bet this mechanic does not know what Sea Foam is. Maybe the word Foam through him, thinking it foams up in the carb? Maybe? Then saying it won't work on the tiney jets of the TW. That makes sense then. But as we know, Sea Foam, doesn't foam. Most mechanics, including myself, don't rely, or use products "like" Sea Foam as a fix it. Most will take appart and clean themselves. I'm the same way. I do think it works to some point, since so many real people have used it with good results. I just can't argue that. So I do admit, I've started using it myself as a preventitive, but not as a fix it, do all solution to a problem. You can't argue with success.....:) So my answer is, of course it works with the small jets in a TW carb.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts