TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
does anyone know?
i want to run LEDS that need DC.

ken
Everything that runs back to the battery and run's the bike's equipment is D.C.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Its DC.

That being said you may better be served by running the lights direct off the battery with a relay to control them off the headlamp if you plan on retaining the factory light. For instance i set mine up to only come on with the high beams are on and the lows shut off the led lamps so i dont blind oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks - i'm looking at replacing the headlight with an LED array.
but all info is great!

ken

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
On a motorcycle, the only part of the electrical system that has AC power is the charging system, which uses the rotation of the engine to generate enough electricity to operate the bike and maintain/charge the battery. The regulator/rectifier takes the AC voltage from the stator and changes it to DC so that the system can use it, while it regulates the amount of voltage being put into the system.

The lights, starter, ignition system, and any other system that requires electricity on a bike uses DC power. Power from the battery positive terminal travels through a switch or series of switches, through a fuse, through the load (lights, etc.), through the chassis as a ground and back to the battery through the negative terminal, creating a circuit.

It's possible to have an AC headlight but very uncommon.

Reactions: GTG

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well actually.....it depends on what year TW you have. The oddball 1987 uses the same system as the BW! AC to the headlight, direct from stator.
Also the stator generates AC which is rectified to DC. These can fail. For items that could be fussy you would be better off running your lights
from battery and switch it with a relay. This is also a trick if your lights pull more wattage than stock. On some older bikes heavier wires were the
trick to better lights. BMW esp would undersize the wire so when you installed a higher wattage bulb all sorts of bad things happened.

Reactions: badcat and GTG

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a motorcycle, the only part of the electrical system that has AC power is the charging system, which uses the rotation of the engine to generate enough electricity to operate the bike and maintain/charge the battery. The regulator/rectifier takes the AC voltage from the stator and changes it to DC so that the system can use it, while it regulates the amount of voltage being put into the system.

The lights, starter, ignition system, and any other system that requires electricity on a bike uses DC power. Power from the battery positive terminal travels through a switch or series of switches, through a fuse, through the load (lights, etc.), through the chassis as a ground and back to the battery through the negative terminal, creating a circuit.

It's possible to have an AC headlight but very uncommon.
yeah - older trail bikes - with no battery have AC headlights.
i have two of them!

k

·
Registered
746 Posts
Also the stator generates AC which is rectified to DC. These can fail.
I'm not sure what you're referring to that can fail (specifically on the '87), since all bikes that have a DC supply derive charging current that begins as AC and is then rectified to DC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts