TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to go take the MSF coarse this summer and finally get legal. I was watching some videos on the things they teach there and one of them had a drill where you let the bike move just on idle. My TW definitely stalls in 1st if I let the clutch out with no throttle. How about yours?

Registered
I think I am going to go take the MSF coarse this summer and finally get legal. I was watching some videos on the things they teach there and one of them had a drill where you let the bike move just on idle. My TW definitely stalls in 1st if I let the clutch out with no throttle. How about yours?
Got a link to the vids of what they teach?? 馃檪

Registered
Let it out S L O W L Y (not uphill)
Most of my recent bikes idle = 10-12 MPH

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are probably teaching about the friction zone and clutch control. Try raising your idle speed a little. I was a MSF instructor and that was often necessary on some bikes for some of the low speed drills.
I have one of those crappy wrap around the wire RPM gauges and have the idle set to the high end of what the manual says.

Registered
Errtu
I imagine the gearing would have a lot to do with this .....
Is yours stock ?
mike from NC

Reactions: Snow Fox

Registered
2004 TW200
It is all about idle speed if you want to have movement without any throttle. I have mine down where it would chug & stop if you tried to do a no throttle and go move.

Registered
I'm pretty sure Dave could just dump the clutch and idle right along when he's running
his 70 tooth sprocket ...
mike from NC

Registered
I'm pretty sure Dave could just dump the clutch and idle right along when he's running
his 70 tooth sprocket ...
Only on flat ground, Mike! Certainly not where I usually run a 70T, as there is usually quite a steep incline involved. Perhaps @Errtu would be interested in his own 70T sprocket to toy with? I happen to have an extra...

Registered
Does your bike otherwise roll freely? Clutch control should allow the bike to move forward until it's fast enough to completely release if on flat ground and there is no drag. Maybe you have a brake adjustment issue?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does your bike otherwise roll freely? Clutch control should allow the bike to move forward until it's fast enough to completely release if on flat ground and there is no drag. Maybe you have a brake adjustment issue?
I have my idle when warm set to 1400. Every time I have tried to very slowly release the clutch, the bike stalls. There is no brake drag as far as I can tell.

Registered
2022 TW200
You have to feel the friction zone, get the bike started rolling and slowly let the clutch out. I can easily do this with the TW without stalling. And by get it started rolling I mean with the clutch, not with your feet.

That鈥檚 what the MSF class is teaching. That and the fact that stalling isn鈥檛 scary or terrible. I taught both my kids how to drive a manual car this way as well. Don鈥檛 tough the gas, only the clutch. once you鈥檙e good with the clutch, then add gas.

Registered
My 2013 was not able to do it when I bought it a couple years ago. It turned out to have a tiny spring on top of the main needle out of place, and also wouldn't idle well at lower speeds. At first, I thought it was a vacuum leak.
Now it definitely will drive off on idle (i did it the other day because I was carrying a gas can in my right hand :)
Mine does have a grabby clutch when it's cold, tho. Makes it harder to do.)

Registered
1989TW 200
Out of curiousity, where are you located? Does your state require this for a motorcyle endorsement? Don't get me wrong - I would recommend it to anyone, just not aware that some states require it to be "legal"?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts