TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Bear spray on a hip holster on left side of waist. If you're not left-handed, practice "shooting" it with your left hand while riding. Spray that dog once and it'll remember to stay away from you next time.
Just don't spray it ahead of you! And know which way the wind is blowing if you stop beforehand. 😁

·
Administrator
6,895 Posts
We should start up an "Animals attack motorcycles" thread - I think the last one was mostly goats .....

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Dogs seem to love chasing motorcycles. I have never heard of one outrunning a motorcycle though.
Well, I sure as hell have! If it's a TW, that is. 😨 One technique that is listed in David Hough's books about Proficient Motorcycling is to slow way down until the mutt is about 15 feet from you then accelerate at maximum. This screws his trajectory all up and he ends up behind you. NOW you have to outrun him! This only works if you have a clear view of the dog when he's 50 yards from you. Since I'm usually riding slowly, I just stop dead until the dog loses interest. Works OK with sheepdogs, probably not with a truly vicious dog. "In that case, Judge, lest thee be eaten."

·
Registered
736 Posts
I felt so empowered when I used my bear/dog/neighbor/spouse spray. I was walking our dingo puppies and a renegade shepherd took an interest in us and was approaching with his hair up. I gave him the juice! He was down wind maybe 50 yards so I had to wait for the spray to reach the dog, but when it did he immediately turned 180 degrees. Stuff works and you don’t have to spray them in the face. Times are getting crazy that I should feel compelled to carry spray where ever we go. To old to run and fight. I’ll just have to sit and spray. Dirts a Flyen SanDue🙄🙂

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Xracer has it. When I was in the 3rd grade I got a nip from a Collie. My Mother was ready to divorce my Dad if he didn't go down there and threaten to whup the owner.

We lived in Base housing and whoever owned that dog worked on McClellan AFB with my Dad. Dad was a great Dad. He asked me if I wanted to go with him to talk to the owners or if I'd rather be the one who trained the dog to leave kids on bicycles alone. You know what I said.

He filled a squirt gun with ammonia and said he'd beat me with a belt (it was 1963) if I sprayed it at anything but that one dog's eyes. Then he turned me loose on my bike.

First time did it. Direct hit. I was so damned excited and went straight home and told Dad all about it. He drained the squirt gun and warned me that I was never to do it again without his OK.

The dog seemed just fine but never wanted a piece of another kid on a bike.

Mom eventually calmed down but she made life miserable for a day or two.

Think about it... It works for skunks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I can remember being scared of dogs from since I can remember. Didn't matter if I was walking/running, on the bicycle, etc. ANY dog, particularly when barking. Why?....no idea.

My biggest fear? Getting upon them too late, and can't U-turn, especially if you're on a road never been on. Once by....my fear isn't over until I know it does not.....dead end. It is then I wish...."Why can't this thing be a helicopter!!" :LOL:

I'm still not comfortable around them, and approach cautiously. If I sense any aggression....I U-turn.

Prolly, because when I was around 10, myself & 2-3 friends were riding our bicycles fast through an apartment complex, and I was out front hauling azz, and turn around to see where they are, and all I hear is loud chirp barking approaching me from the front. As soon as I turned my head back around this little Chihuahua runs directly into my front wheel immediately sending me over the bars face first into the pavement, with bike catapulting over me. I remember stretching my head/neck back, purposefully, to limit the asphalt I was about to eat. It must've helped as I didn't suffer anything broken, only a chipped tooth, but a badly scraped up face. I then recall hearing that 'lil dog yelp itself back to the lady owner who's only safety she was interested in was her dog. She saw what happened, and never checked on me. I've never forgotten that.

Anyhow....while I'm now, somehow, up on my feet with my head tilted back with nose, mouth, face bleeding pretty bad. I somehow remained calm, told my friends to get my bike, and I walked around the corner back to the house. They were panicking, and couldn't believe I was up. Freaked my Mama out when I came through the door. She got me cleaned up, and figured I didn't need medical care, and watched over me that night. Didn't help we didn't have insurance then, and lived paycheck to paycheck. Once she got me cleaned up, I WAS OUT 'til the next morning! This had happened later in the evening. Apparently, I don't recall, my friends said I'd asked them how my bike was. Shocker, right? 😁 Turns out I had 2 flat tires, and had to straighten the handlebars up.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I can remember being scared of dogs from since I can remember. Didn't matter if I was walking/running, on the bicycle, etc. ANY dog, particularly when barking. Why?....no idea.

My biggest fear? Getting upon them too late, and can't U-turn, especially if you're on a road never been on. Once by....my fear isn't over until I know it does not.....dead end. It is then I wish...."Why can't this thing be a helicopter!!"

I'm still not comfortable around them, and approach cautiously. If I sense any aggression....I U-turn.

Prolly, because when I was around 10, myself & 2-3 friends were riding our bicycles fast through an apartment complex, and I was out front hauling azz, and turn around to see where they are, and all I hear is loud chirp barking approaching me from the front. As soon as I turned my head back around this little Chihuahua runs directly into my front wheel immediately sending me over the bars face first into the pavement, with bike catapulting over me. I remember stretching my head/neck back, purposefully, to limit the asphalt I was about to eat. It must've helped as I didn't suffer anything broken, only a chipped tooth, but a badly scraped up face. I then recall hearing that 'lil dog yelp itself back to the lady owner who's only safety she was interested in was her dog. She saw what happened, and never checked on me. I've never forgotten that.

Anyhow....while I'm now, somehow, up on my feet with my head tilted back with nose, mouth, face bleeding pretty bad. I somehow remained calm, told my friends to get my bike, and I walked around the corner back to the house. They were panicking, and couldn't believe I was up. Freaked my Mama out when I came through the door. She got me cleaned up, and figured I didn't need medical care, and watched over me that night. Didn't help we didn't have insurance then, and lived paycheck to paycheck. Once she got me cleaned up, I WAS OUT 'til the next morning! This had happened later in the evening. Apparently, I don't recall, my friends said I'd asked them how my bike was. Shocker, right? Turns out I had 2 flat tires, and had to straighten the handlebars up.
Bitch!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am convinced that dogs love motorcycles. It startles me when a dog or a couple of dogs come racing out to chase me, but I will never hold it against them. My own dog will chase me away from my house every time I leave and again when I return.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts