TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
Best way I've found to deal with dogs is come to a quick stop. This throws them off the chase and starts them thinking "Oh Crap" I've got this big thing pizzed off at me. Most times they turn tail and run or end up getting patted on the head. Because lets face it when your on a bicycle trying to out run a big dog is a losing bet.

Registered
1999 TW-200
Well, I sure as hell have! If it's a TW, that is. 馃槰 One technique that is listed in David Hough's books about Proficient Motorcycling is to slow way down until the mutt is about 15 feet from you then accelerate at maximum. This screws his trajectory all up and he ends up behind you. NOW you have to outrun him! This only works if you have a clear view of the dog when he's 50 yards from you. Since I'm usually riding slowly, I just stop dead until the dog loses interest. Works OK with sheepdogs, probably not with a truly vicious dog. "In that case, Judge, lest thee be eaten."
^this

They are experts in tabulation of a closing interception triangle at a steady speed. As soon as they start running towards you, start slowing gradually, then abruptly throttle up when they have committed and have covered 50% of the distance to you.

I never stop, because I don't know how bad ass a dog might actually be.....especially the "breed of peace".

Registered
Each situation and dog may be different so I recommend being flexible and mentally prepared.
If one's intent is to spray or shoot be aware you need time & distance to stop & deploy your defensive armament before the dog(s) are upon you since not everyone can draw and shoot/spray effectively left handed while on the move. Ready to deal with a potentially attacking dog arriving before your ready? Early assessment and a quick decision to fight or flee followed by quick action either way seems critical. To think instead "let's wait and see" sort of puts one at the mercy of the dog's intentions. In dog talk a bark means much different than a growl.

Registered
I am convinced that dogs love motorcycles. It startles me when a dog or a couple of dogs come racing out to chase me, but I will never hold it against them. My own dog will chase me away from my house every time I leave and again when I return.
I'd tend to disagree. I've never come upon a dog that seemed to "love" the bike. No tongue hanging out, tail wagging going on when they're coming at you. It's usually business it seems :) . It's really a good question as to why they chase.

There have been serious injuries due to dogs tangling up with motorcyclist, which I'm sure you know. Generally, these are the aggressive natured dogs.

I tend to prepare for the worst when encountering, so I can prepare best I can....good or bad outcome. I really don't won't a repeat of of bicycle incident ever again, if I can help it. And, I do not want to get bit if at all possible.

Registered
As a shock therapy perhaps it would be good to practice MTB, sure that at some point you will find yourself in the middle of a climb on a bike, tired after many km and unfriendly dogs appear, then when it happens again on a motorcycle seems a much more bearable situation. 馃槀

Registered
Waaaaaay back a few thousand years ago, I was a Paper boy. Remember those????? Anyway, I'd quite often, (as in practically every morning) head off into the wee dark hours to deliver my 70 some papers. I would, on occasion, get in an entanglement with a loose and potentially vicious dog. They wouldn't always be in the same areas. OBVIOUSLY, I was a bit younger AND, a bit more muscular and in SERIOUSLY better shape than I am now. So, with that being said, if and when any dog wanted some of my body for breakfast, I'd stop dead in my tracks and was off the bike in a matter of a second or two.

Since I had my papers on a rear tandem, the front of the bike was quite light. I could very easily pick up that bike by the handle bars and use that front wheel as A WEAPON! And believe me, when the few dogs that did attack, got a mouth full of front axle ends of that front wheel, needless to say, they didn't care for that very much and pretty much BRISKLY went on their way. More than a time or two, I had to clean a bit of blood off my front wheel and forks. But, I'm pretty sure I could not do that now with a TW. I have yet to be chased on the T-dub by any dog. If it happened, well, I can tell you that I'd come out a winner, no matter how.
Scott

Registered
Knight stick is all in need. Most dogs are just playing and just want to run. Healers want to heal. The others get to close and get a knot on the head. Now a bad dog that should know better? They get schooled or put down. I have and will beat a pitbull into submission with a billy club. More then one dog? one warning shot and any dog that is not moving on out is going to catch lead.

Registered
One thing about a bicycle. It's a whole lot easier to keep a bicycle between you and a dog than a motorcycle. I'm pretty strong for an old man but I'd not like to try swinging my Dub all over the place to protect me from a dog.
Yes, but that advantage I personally don't trade it against having an engine a under my ass. 馃槀

Exhausted and wearing shoes that make you walk like a penguin is not the best time to face dogs.

Super Moderator
I'd tend to disagree. I've never come upon a dog that seemed to "love" the bike. No tongue hanging out, tail wagging going on when they're coming at you. It's usually business it seems :) . It's really a good question as to why they chase.

There have been serious injuries due to dogs tangling up with motorcyclist, which I'm sure you know. Generally, these are the aggressive natured dogs.

I tend to prepare for the worst when encountering, so I can prepare best I can....good or bad outcome. I really don't won't a repeat of of bicycle incident ever again, if I can help it. And, I do not want to get bit if at all possible.
I knew a dog once that loved motorcycles. If she was chasing you it's just cause she wanted to catch a ride not a leg bone. :)
Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

Registered
I got charged once by a very animous dog around the neighborhood. I was only going about 15 Mph when said K9 approached from my 10 0'clock at speed and with seemingly ill intent. Before I knew what I was doing I had veered slightly to the right, extended my left boot, and delivered a stiff heel to the dog's face bowling it over in the middle of the street. I love dogs and I felt really bad about it afterward. But he was coming in for blood...

• Sad
Reactions: Snow Fox

Administrator
Likewise - give them a boot to chew on, it keeps them out of the wheels

Most dogs know darn well what they're doing, and "mock attack" for fun - play along, scream, stand on the seat - and ride out of there laughing

There are only two types of dog you need to be worried about (apart from psychopathic chihuahuas), the ones in packs, and the trained attack dog - everything else is just a grown up puppy ....

Super Moderator
Likewise - give them a boot to chew on, it keeps them out of the wheels

Most dogs know darn well what they're doing, and "mock attack" for fun - play along, scream, stand on the seat - and ride out of there laughing

There are only two types of dog you need to be worried about (apart from psychopathic chihuahuas), the ones in packs, and the trained attack dog - everything else is just a grown up puppy ....
Not an attack dog! Unless you look like a cat, raccoon, or squirrel. Respects Deer and Elk, they're bigger!
Glasses Wheel Dog Vision care Tire

Registered
22 BMW G310GS, 2018 Van Van,
I grew up with hunting dogs, bit more times鈥.often if your the 鈥漛igger dog鈥 , stop and tell 鈥榚m to stop in your big dog voice. I鈥檝e actually made friends lots of times and have em follow me on the trail. Not always 5% are real issue. On the mtb I use my big tire pump as a club, don鈥檛 raise until striking distance aim for eye. I do carry a special pump that works as club. Again, avoiding conflict best approach.
Motorbike I鈥檝e always out run them, once ran over one.
But as stated, times have changed lots of folks out on the fringe with thier dogs. It鈥檚 rough to find a place to park your Van and live. Trailheads are huge parking lots full of folks down on luck. Shooting a dog can quite likely get you shot, Many fringe dwellers are armed and would protect thier dog. On Calif roads just carrying a gun on a motorbike illegal, permit or not. No guns in motor vehicles period, left over from freeway shoots in 80s. This applies to legal roads in the Forest as well, for poachers actually. Can鈥檛 hunt from vehicle.
But now days LE will take your strap on away from you to protect them selves. Too many whackos. If cool, they just say 鈥減ut out of sight please鈥. Drag to draw The attention of LE in my playbook.

Use care in accessing the situation, how would you feel if your dog got shot by a yahoo as it was trotting up to say hi? Or even pepper sprayed? Personally my first impulse would be apply some 鈥渆qual and opposite reaction鈥 to the perpetrator wouldn鈥檛 you?
Give Peace a Chance

21 - 35 of 35 Posts