TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Got my son his first balance bike (everything with two wheels is a Momo [motorcycle] to him). Got it in as close a color scheme as possible to the TW.

A little tall for him, but it helps when he wears his snow boots (named by him as "MoMo boots").

UPDATE:

Here's his progress since the original video:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
He was certainly in awe when he first laid eyes on it.
Too cute.

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
Nice bro. God bless your little family. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
I thought I noticed that. Looks like you're doing a fine job too and are a good and caring papa...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's how he has progressed since originally getting it. He grew a little, which helped. He's 2 years&1 month in this video and has been at this level for about 1.5-2 months:

We did a few things to get him used to it:

1) we didn't force it, we just let him pick it up when he wanted and helped him while he was interested. Encouragement, even when just sitting on it, helped.
2) we had him watch videos of kids on balance bikes, which seemed to pique his interest and aid his understanding of the concept (children are mimics, be careful of what they watch!)

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
Made my day!! He's quite the little show-off!! hahahahaha That's so cute bro!! He's gotten quite good and is full of confidence!! :D

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Here's how he has progressed since originally getting it. He grew a little, which helped. He's 2 years&1 month in this video and has been at this level for about 1.5-2 months:

We did a few things to get him used to it:

1) we didn't force it, we just let him pick it up when he wanted and helped him while he was interested. Encouragement, even when just sitting on it, helped.
2) we had him watch videos of kids on balance bikes, which seemed to pique his interest and aid his understanding of the concept (children are mimics, be careful of what they watch!)

Wish they would have had a bike like this when I was learning how to ride. In our era, learning how to ride a bike was like being pushed off the dock into the water without any swimming lessons.

Also, a bike like this would have saved some of those nut crunching experiences hitting that stupid bar after sliding forward off the seat. Thankfully, I recovered enough from my horrible childhood bike riding to graduate to motorcycles where I can continue my nut crunching experiences. :p

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Progress update.

Glad I was able to throw it in 2nd, or he might have caught me! :D

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
That's just too cute bro!! I loved and laughed so much at his first video before and he's come a long way now!! He's really ripping it up!! I admire you brother, you're doing a great job as a father. :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks LT. He's a great kid. Being 2.5, he has his moments for sure. He is a very happy, bright little boy who loves trains, firetrucks, "MoMo's", playing in dirt, and terrorizing his little brother.

He often states incorrect facts in a very matter of fact manner (must get it from me). The other night I was in the home office while studying. I have a power strip that's not in use and simply on the floor, plugged into itself. He came in, knelt down, pressed the reset switch twice and then looked up and said, "Light's broken. Need a new one". No idea where he came up with that.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a more recent video. Kid knows how to coast now. Loves gaining speed on hills and then just going.

Two days later he went right into the stairs on the playground equipment at a fairly good speed. High sided off and cried for a few seconds and then was back at it. Was kinda sicking to not be able to grab him before he plowed into the stairs.

·
Registered
20,153 Posts
Time to fabricate some rear brakes?:p
If he gets going any faster it might be a bit much for any Fred Flintstone techniques.

·
Registered
27 Posts
He really picked up some speed going down that hill!!
Very cool, he's a natural, eh?

I wonder how old the youngest TW rider was....
Maybe Dominic can pick up clutch operation by 4 and you have to fab a SUPER long shifter and rear break lever��

·
Super Moderator
17,922 Posts
What a crack up!! He's so cute!! :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts