TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, folks... At age 64 I just had a Quintuple (5-way) heart bypass "event". Yep! All new plumbing! Fortunately, I never had a heart attack, and no heart muscle damage. I was a guy who ate fatty meat 3 times a day for a good 30 years. Fatty desserts, doughnuts and Oreo's with whole milk.
Never again!.

I'll not disrespect the surgeons and the medical staff who saved my sorry [email protected], and also this second chance at a long life!

Its been 5 weeks and I'm already on a Mediterranian/pescatarian diet! I'm also riding my bike every other day at least a solid and brisk 5 miles.
I was 260 when I went in and am at 230 lbs (6' tall) and need to get to 185-190.
Don't make my mistake!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Read The China Study if you are not already familiar

Congrats on your wise decision I quit meat in 83 and never missed it

Oh and Hemp Hearts for protein and balanced Omegas not to mention all the other Hemp benefits sans the THC

the average meat eater has different 6 meals in their diet the average vegetarian has 75

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Congrats on catching it early no heart damage. I got one stent at 55 ( no damage) and I am fit and not over weight. I would add reduce eating sugar. Also keep your teeth and gums clean. I neglected my teeth for years. Now I have the best gum heath since My twenty’s. I think bad gums cause a lot of heart disease. The bacteria in your gums can cause inflammation leading to plaque and hardening of the arteries. Some saturated fats are ok according to recent research. Think real food and not processed. Olive oil not others and butter is ok even bacon but not too much preservatives in it. 11 years with clear arteries so far.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Olive oil (big in mediterranean diet) and more so coconut oil are very healthy. I've been hearing lately that fat being bad is misleading an incorrect. Some fats are good and cause no health risk or weight gain. Th Inuit and northern aboriginal peoples eat mostly moose meat and seal and claim to be very healthy. I think mindful moderation would be a better suggestion unless you've already compromised your health. At which case a purge of fats and processed sugars/complex carbs might be a good idea. For that matter eating anything processed should be avoided completely.

We all should take a more proactive approach to our diet and exercise. With all the conflicting data out there it's difficult to know whats best but what's most important is trying.

·
Registered
70 Posts
being I'm old and overweight, someone once told me that as humans we have no flesh tearing teeth so we were never meant to eat meat. I don't know if its true or not.?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A guy can go nuts trying to figure out what is good diet and what is not. But I'm convinced of regular exercise, proper weight, no/low sugar, (except in certain whole fruits/berries) healthy fats, a bit of mammal meat, lots of fish and veggies. And don't over eat at all.

And then again, I might be all wrong:D

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Been here, done this. Good they discovered your trouble early. I've had the stent, the bypass surgery and the lectures. Seems I had heart attacks after sex, twice! Go figure. Sue used to say, " Dan you the man". Today she says " Dan, are you ok"? You will meet some different people now. For example, the people I meet in passing in the bakery section are happy go lucky that are pleasant to converse with. The people I speak with in the produce section are grumpy and anti social. I can understand why. They are giving up sweet warm and soothing for chew crunch and fiber. Don't think your out of the woods! You now have a list of other health factors to deal with. The doctor advised me to walk, walk, and walk. Since then, I've nearly been attacked by canine, insulted by boys on bikes, nearly run over by a truck and once I got lost! The most important lesson I learned on my walks is don't put your face up to the window of a donut shop and make fun of fat people. They can still run fast and will kick your ass!! Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sounds like your walks are more dangerous than heart disease!

The "insulted by boys on bikes" cracked me up.....little b*st*rds!

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Simply match a balanced diet with your metabolic rate. If you're wandering the tundra above the tree-line in the far north you may need, and burn, a fat rich 5,000 calories every day. If you're fairly sedentary in a moderately temperate climate then a couple slices of meat and vegetable pizza should do the trick. If insulting little boys chase you on bikes then you get another slice.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Wise words, all. At 69 I have no problems (health, that is). My wife has/had high cholesterol. Ever since my hippe commune days I admired wok cooking and always wanted to learn more. So, being older and having some time, I learned. She dropped 20 pounds and cholesterol is now in limits.

Wok cooking uses healthy oils (coconut, peanut, sesame, etc. Not so much olive oil but I still cook Mediterranean, occasionally, and olive oil is very good, too). The wok "flash" cooks meats and vegetables and leaves the goodness within. Plus, the meal always includes rice. Perhaps the most important grain on the planet. No gluten either.

And, the wok serves vegetarian and omnivore diets equally well. Some times I can even sneak a non-meat dish past a non-veg-head.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
re oild for cooking probably any are ok in small amounts I lean to coconut but if you are adding oils to protein shakes etc like flak seed oil I'd use Hemp seed oil as it's the only oil with the perfect (for humans) omegas 3-6-9 balance flak is way off balance and can lead to an imbalance in the body. Hemp oil tastes a little green like fresh mowed grass the first few days but as your body assimilates it the taste becomes delicious and it fantastic in protein smoothies

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
You non-meat eaters might sing a different song if American butchers tried cutting the cow up a little differently. Here is a cut to die for if properly prepared over a rotating spit and served in slices a few millimeters thick before being returning to the fire.
And of course one doesn't eat the fat!
Called Picanha, it is as tender as the fillet off a Porterhouse yet considered more flavorful by many knowledgable beef fans. Not bland like hand massaged Kobe beef. Typically encountered as the premier cut in Brazil it can be approximated stateside under the name "Rump Cover" or "Coulotte Sirloin" . Don't knock it untill you try it! It is my overwhelming favorite assault on my LDL level.:D picanha.jpg

I'm just about ready to click the yellow button and buy some!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
it's a myth among carnivores that vegetarians somehow desire to eat meat as Bill Pearl, bodybuilder pioneer stated in the sixties "I wouldn't eat a steak for a million dollars" is exactly my sentiments

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
It is also a myth that vegetarians aren't missing culinary pleasures with their choice of diet.:D

Me, I evolved from an omnivore species and have the teeth, enzymes and glands that make it all work.

Reactions: Purple and Ken

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
It is also a myth that vegetarians aren't missing culinary pleasures with their choice of diet.:D

Me, I evolved from an omnivore species and have the teeth, enzymes and glands that make it all work.
you can "think" it but ......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts