TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been running an iridium plug for a couple thousand miles and it looks great ! Nice mocha color, no deposits. My motor is completely stock CA version except I have a bigger main, shimmed needle and adjusted mixture screw. The problem is that while the motor ran very well with the carb tune, the stock NGK plug would never have any color and always looked lean, but clean? So have any of you expert tuners noticed the NGK iridium plug being a bit colder (or something) than the stock plug?
I wish you all could have problems like this but I just can't stand it when Tdub runs near perfect for no apparent reason, hmmm. Thanks in advance for any help and insight!

Best regards, MAC

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have no experience with the iridium plug(I am going to use one next change based on feedback) but I do know it is much harder to read plugs these days, depending on the additive mix. Almost always looks leaner than what "old school" plug reading might indicate. In some cases my plugs have looked very white, then I find some non ethanol fuel (I can still get it in MI for my boat) and the plug will look normal.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I've had my Iridium plug in since new, 11,200 miles. It looks about the same now as when new. Never had much success in "reading" it either. It just runs.....and runs......and runs.....:p

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I've used both types of plugs. In my case, both had and showed the same color as the other would. If the standard plug showed normal, so did the iridium. Performance wise I could never tell the difference. No difference in the lifespan that I ever noticed either. I wouldn't hesitate to use either. Both work well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the feedback! My '06 has 11,000 miles on it and runs great but the plug was always white which made me uncomfortable. Now all of a sudden it's got the perfect color and the only change was the plug.
I was planning on side gaping a stock NGK to see if that might give a little boost but for now I'll stick with the iridium since the Tdub seems to like it.
Thanks again for the tuning expertise.

Best regards, MAC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts