TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lovin me my TW I bought last summer but I do nearly all my riding on gravel and clay mud. After a few awesome outings of wheels seizing up and/or sliding out at standstill while playing in the mud I decided a better tire than stock was appropriate. However there seems to be nothing better that's available, but I hear the atv tire mod is awesome and I would like to be able to keep upright more. So what I want to know know is, what's the law in Canada as it is TC not DOT up here that make those regulations.
Is it enforced? Harley's seem to get a pass for noise compliance were I am from. Do dual sports get a pass on tire compliance. I know they don't enforce tint, mudflaps, mufflers, dpf delete or anything else I can think of where I am from. What does the average cop know about tread anyway?

·
Registered
19,418 Posts
I imagine the degree of enforcement is a function of not only your location ( remote vs. close to developed areas) but your attitude and behavior towards any law enforcement types. Riding responsibly and being respectful might get you a pass most of the time.
But what do I know? My police experience is limited to riding past a parked pair of CHIPs motorcycles at 10 mph with a flat tire going flopa-flopa-flopa. I smiled and waved, they half waved and then likely shook their heads and laughed.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
i think you hit it on the head, Fred. i haven't been stopped by a cop while i was on a bike since 1970, and that was only because my dumb ass friend riding on the back gave the cop the finger. keep your bike clean ( i'm not talking about dirt) and ride with some respect for the law and you will most likely never get pulled over either

·
Registered
19,418 Posts
I assumed it meant "Transport Canada", the applicable Canadian regulatory agency; and perhaps also constituted the National Safety Mark possibly required by the Minister in leu of the US's DOT marking. Like the US, research of Canada regs is cumbersome but you can start down the rabbit hole with this: Motor Vehicle Tire Safety Regulations (SOR/2013-198)

In typical bureaucracese it can be fairly confusing with references to "
Administrator of the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration" where in USA we would typically simply refer to the administration, but not credit an officer holder.
But you get the idea...Either TC or DOT on the sidewall seems to constitute endorsement but I couldn't confirm any mandatory requirements for the mark. Like in most places for most things a US certification is often deemed acceptable, or becomes the adopted standard. No problem importing and operating a tire legally sold for highway use in the USA.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
i don't think that there are any motorcycle tires made in Canada, so all our tires will be coded the same as the rest of north america. all my tires are DOT rated. TC may be the agency who rules what tires are allowed on our roads, but there are no TC ratings on tires

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm by no means an authority on this subject, but I can only think of three situations that would draw attention to the tires (tyres for the international viewer). First, if your AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) requires mandatory vehicle safety inspections as a condition of registration. Second, in the event of a severe or fatal accident, especially one involving a motor carrier. Third, as already mentioned, driving like a douche-pool. Draw attention to yourself and you could be asking for a fishing expedition. Think of cops* like...a bass. If you're going fast, erratic, or look way too farkled, they will move in to investigate. On the other hand, wear on orange highway safety vest, they tend to think "dork" and not worth the interaction.

So, if putting a non-DOT rated tire on the bike, be very aware of its performance limitations on pavement and approach your limits cautiously. Otherwise, I see no issues. Tire studs are illegal in my state, but there have been a couple of instances in the past few years that if I had a set I would have run them. I am planning on getting a set on rims for those situations and installing them as conditions warrant.

*I worked law enforcement in the military and was a captain of a fire department for a number of years until moving out to the sticks. I know one cop that will stop you if you have anything hanging from your rear-view mirror. And if you have a CDL and are an individual of small company moving equipment, be prepared for delays...

JP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts