TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accomplish my 69th birthday this year, and in January I replaced my horse-packing stock and gear with a TW. While I sometimes ride a bit on the pavement, I find my fun on gravel and dirt logging roads and trails, and as I get more proficient, just plain cross-country. I don't plan to carry overnight gear very often, as we built a custom expedition vehicle in which to sleep, shower and ride out bad weather. So the TW is for day-ride fun and doing recon on whether we really want to take a 21,000# vehicle all the way down "that narrow rutted path."

The more I ride, the more I run into what I consider a few TW limitations:

—the seat is awful — like riding a gymnastics vaulting horse

—the tank capacity is inadequaqte to the distances I like to ride in a day [even in deep dirt]

—I need to have a few tools to cope with some of the inevitable repairs that I seem to have to make in the boonies.

[The first was a cactus-spine puncture of my front tire in the mountains of SW Arizona last winter, and second and third were readjusting the clutch and front brake assemblies on the handlebars after the bike took a brief nap on its side while I was negotiating some very cobbly rock terrain and 'somehow' broke both lever tips off. Go figure!]

Re: the seat, I had a new one built from scratch by Don Weber at Mr Ed's Moto in Albany, OR. Terrific!! I can adjust my position and ride comfortably pretty much for a whole day.

Re: Gas Capacity, because, I did not want to change the width of the tank and/or make a relatively permanent change in the handling of the bike, I elected NOT to put a whole new tank on the TW. Instead, I found a really nice 5-liter metal Jerry Can designed and built to the bullet-proof WW-II specs. With this can plus (3) 1-liter Sigg-type gas bottles in two Quick Fists [http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/241-the-famous-storage-tube/page__view__findpost__p__11331] and a 'Famous Storage Container' [http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/241-the-famous-storage-tube/] I have now doubled my range. So far this is very satisfactory, and the handling feels unchanged [i.e., great.]

Re: Tools, the addition of two more 'Famous Storage Containers' along with my tank bag has given me all the capacity I seem to need, so far.

I have found MANY very useful tips and tricks in the forum so far, so I thought I'd share my project in case some of you find something useful in it.

I began with a piece of 1/2" plywood, and added to the underside some blocks of 1/2" wood to fit in the spaces between the two tubes which run across the width of my Cycleracks rear rack. These will keep the rack from being able to move either side-to-side or front-to-back.

Then I cut and fitted some aluminum angle iron to span the captured cross tube and secure the plywood platform on the rack rack when we are bouncing across the countryside.

On the top side I bolted four pieces of 2" alum angle iron with pieces of old rubber conveyor belting glued on for padding. These are placed to hold the 5-liter can in place, and also to secure the ends of the nylon strap which holds the can down on the plywood platform. Next to it is a [third] 'Famous Storage Container' to hold the pouring spout and some additional tools.

Finally, my magnet-mount Marcee tank bag clanks into place very securely on top of the can. It is very secure and yet very easily removed when I want to carry it away from the bike [to eat lunch on the edge of a cliff, etc.]

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I accomplish my 69th birthday this year, and in January I replaced my horse-packing stock and gear with a TW. While I sometimes ride a bit on the pavement, I find my fun on gravel and dirt logging roads and trails, and as I get more proficient, just plain cross-country. I don't plan to carry overnight gear very often, as we built a custom expedition vehicle in which to sleep, shower and ride out bad weather. So the TW is for day-ride fun and doing recon on whether we really want to take a 21,000# vehicle all the way down "that narrow rutted path."

The more I ride, the more I run into what I consider a few TW limitations:

—the seat is awful — like riding a gymnastics vaulting horse

—the tank capacity is inadequaqte to the distances I like to ride in a day [even in deep dirt]

—I need to have a few tools to cope with some of the inevitable repairs that I seem to have to make in the boonies.

[The first was a cactus-spine puncture of my front tire in the mountains of SW Arizona last winter, and second and third were readjusting the clutch and front brake assemblies on the handlebars after the bike took a brief nap on its side while I was negotiating some very cobbly rock terrain and 'somehow' broke both lever tips off. Go figure!]

Re: the seat, I had a new one built from scratch by Don Weber at Mr Ed's Moto in Albany, OR. Terrific!! I can adjust my position and ride comfortably pretty much for a whole day.

Re: Gas Capacity, because, I did not want to change the width of the tank and/or make a relatively permanent change in the handling of the bike, I elected NOT to put a whole new tank on the TW. Instead, I found a really nice 5-liter metal Jerry Can designed and built to the bullet-proof WW-II specs. With this can plus (3) 1-liter Sigg-type gas bottles in two Quick Fists [http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/241-the-famous-storage-tube/page__view__findpost__p__11331] and a 'Famous Storage Container' [http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/241-the-famous-storage-tube/] I have now doubled my range. So far this is very satisfactory, and the handling feels unchanged [i.e., great.]

Re: Tools, the addition of two more 'Famous Storage Containers' along with my tank bag has given me all the capacity I seem to need, so far.

I have found MANY very useful tips and tricks in the forum so far, so I thought I'd share my project in case some of you find something useful in it.

I began with a piece of 1/2" plywood, and added to the underside some blocks of 1/2" wood to fit in the spaces between the two tubes which run across the width of my Cycleracks rear rack. These will keep the rack from being able to move either side-to-side or front-to-back.

Then I cut and fitted some aluminum angle iron to span the captured cross tube and secure the plywood platform on the rack rack when we are bouncing across the countryside.

On the top side I bolted four pieces of 2" alum angle iron with pieces of old rubber conveyor belting glued on for padding. These are placed to hold the 5-liter can in place, and also to secure the ends of the nylon strap which holds the can down on the plywood platform. Next to it is a [third] 'Famous Storage Container' to hold the pouring spout and some additional tools.

Finally, my magnet-mount Marcee tank bag clanks into place very securely on top of the can. It is very secure and yet very easily removed when I want to carry it away from the bike [to eat lunch on the edge of a cliff, etc.]

Hi Bend,

Note: I tried to revise your original post so your pictures would show up.

Nice work, I am glad to see someone else using Quick Fists. Where did you find your 5 liter gas can? I have tried using a plastic Kolpin, but found that it leaks when I mount it on its side like your. Any problems with yours leaking?

How about some full view pics that show your complete bike? I am also interested in what your seat looks like.

Brian

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bend,

Note: I tried to revise your original post so your pictures would show up.

Nice work, I am glad to see someone else using Quick Fists. Where did you find your 5 liter gas can? I have tried using a plastic Kolpin, but found that it leaks when I mount it on its side like your. Any problems with yours leaking?

How about some full view pics that show your complete bike? I am also interested in what your seat looks like.

Brian

Brian

How did you get the photos to show up in the body of the post? I worked on this for about an hour but could not accomplish it. If you'll tell me that secret, I'll happily put you onto the can and post more pics.

thanks, John

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Brian

How did you get the photos to show up in the body of the post? I worked on this for about an hour but could not accomplish it. If you'll tell me that secret, I'll happily put you onto the can and post more pics.

thanks, John

Hi John,

Here's what I did to get your pics to show up. I added
to the end of each of your photos.

When you are posting photos, do you use the Insert Image icon that is located on the second line of the header bar at the top of the screen?

If you click on this and then delete the http:// that shows up in the box, you can then paste your photo URL into this box and then click on Insert Image. This should insert your photos so they will show up. At least this method works for me.

Brian

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John,

Here's what I did to get your pics to show up. I added (img) to the beginning and (/img) to the end of each of your photos.

When you are posting photos, do you use the Insert Image icon that is located on the second line of the header bar at the top of the screen?

If you click on this and then delete the http:// that shows up in the box, you can then paste your photo URL into this box and then click on Insert Image. This should insert your photos so they will show up. At least this method works for me.

Brian

Brian

That is exactly what I did, but the pics did not show up until just now - several hours later. Who knows?

The gas can is from DeutsheOptik

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=1968

They also offer both a 10-liter and a 20-liter can. We drove roughly 10,000 miles to Panama in our Jeep with 3 cans of gas inside - never a leak or even a whiff of gas the whole time. I trust this design of Jerry Can!!

I will post some photos of the rest of the bike later.

John

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Hey Bend42, looks like you have only been here for a short period of time, and already a great informative post. Thanks so much. Enjoy your bike. Gerry

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Nice upgrade. Any chance to see a couple different views of the seat? Where did you pick up the seat?

Thanks

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Nice upgrade. Any chance to see a couple different views of the seat? Where did you pick up the seat?

Thanks
+1

I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of secondary fuel containers, maybe just one in case a load of bad gas kills the engine, tucked securely in a nock not susceptiblle to crash damage. I'd much rather see the safer alternative, a bigger tank. I guess picking up a wrecked Shadow that had been carrying a 5-gallon plastic gas can on the luggage rack when the rider "laid her down" had something to do with my thinking. The lid came off the can and 5 gallons of gasoline was splattered all over the road, bike, and rider. Fortunately, it didn't set off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
527 Posts
Great post. Looks like we both got our bikes at Pro Caliber in Bend
I just did ~400 miles on Century Drive and having that much fuel capacity would really be nice.
Now it has been a long time since I lived in Bend, but I don't remember century drive being more than50 or 75 miles from the Inn of the 7th Mountain, to Wickiup Jct. You must have gone off the main drive. There must still be gas at Elk Lake, Craine Praire, and the Jct. It sure is beautiful country.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts