TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tried fitting a dr200 gas tank on a tw200? I sat on a dr200 at a dealership a few weeks ago and I thought the tank looked like it might be a pretty good fit. The angle of where the tank meets the seat doesn't look as steep as the xt350 tank. Specs list the dr200 as having a 3.4 gal capacity which is obviously much better than a stock tw200 tank or even the Clarke tw tank at 2.7 gal. My cousin just bought a dr200 but he lives like 10 hrs away otherwise id pull his tank off and try it on mine. Anyone tried this or have acess to a dr200?

·
Registered
119 Posts
This would be awesome if it did fit! Stock 2015 is 3.3, which would be plenty enough. I also like the profile of this tank and it looks pretty similar to the TWs from the seating position

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't wait to hear how it fits. I'm getting pretty sick of my sissy stock tank. I think I'll opt for the Clark tank too but it might be an option for someone who wants a steel tank and possibly for less $ than a Clark

·
Registered
487 Posts
It fits !!!

I just finished checking out of the Dr 200 tank will fit on a tw frame.

Here is what I found:
the tank should be set back in the cradles about 3/16". Mainly to afford the front shocks to clear the tank at full lock.( much like the Xt 350 tank install, the cradles fits fine ) The seat will have to be modified . ( much again like the Xt 350 seat pan angle )
The forward side cover pegs would have nothing to secure to. I could think of a modification that could correct that, but I don't think it is needed. ( they are not going anywhere )
I would fab up a solid , correct height rear tank support.

All in all, it appears to me that the swap is probably as easy as the Xt 350 install. ( which I had on another TW ) I have pictures of it on my phone. I do not know how to post pics on the thread. I can forward the to someone if they want to post them, either by email or , Alternately, I can send them to the cell phone. Pm me if interested. Rubber side down, Dave

·
Registered
119 Posts
Right on Bucknutz! Thank you very much for taking the time & checking this out, In your opinion, does using the DR tank utilize the full capacity of gas? ....or is it like the xt225
/xt350 tanks, where there is an approx. 1/2 gal. or so of unusable fuel. Again thank you "BIG" time!:D ....renny

·
Registered
487 Posts
Right on Bucknutz! Thank you very much for taking the time & checking this out, In your opinion, does using the DR tank utilize the full capacity of gas? ....or is it like the xt225
/xt350 tanks, where there is an approx. 1/2 gal. or so of unusable fuel. Again thank you "BIG" time!:D ....renny
You know, that's one thing that I did not look closely at. Looking at the pics, though, the petcock looks to be horizontal, and I suspect that it won't hold back too much.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think in 2015 the dr got a syle change. The dr tank is a new style, and I don't know if it will fit the TW the same as the older style tank.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for taking the time to check this out for us bucknutz. What year is your dr200? I'd be happy to post the pictures on here for you. I'll pm you with my info.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Awesome, it looks like it belongs and also the way it sits, you can utilize the full capacity of the tank( ha! ha! not recommended!)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Awesome, it looks like it belongs and also the way it sits, you can utilize the full capacity of the tank( ha! ha! not recommended!)
I was a little surprised that it fit so well. With a few modifications, ( mentioned earlier , and I edited that deciding that lowering the rear of the tank would not be a good idea ) I think the fitment could be improved to the point of being almost seamless. Although the tank does look quite horizontal in the pics, lowering the rear of the tank in a manner similar to the Xt 350 tank install modification would change that. For that reason, I probably would not do it that way, instead, an XT 350 seat graft may be required for a close fit. The seat on my bike was put together by forum member " WRHUX " and his wife. ( perhaps he can chime in with the details for interested parties ) He modified it specifically to fit a Clarke 4.5 gallon XT 350 tank. ( looks to be the right angle for a dr 200 tank, too )There is a gel pad inside and the seat feels so comfortable, that I feel that I could ride all day on it. My first thought when I got it was to maybe use some vinyl paint to make it black, but I'm unsure how that would turn out. ( I would hate to make it look even worse ) the seat is so comfortable, that even if it was pink, I would still have it on there. :) The 4.5 gallon tank is a vast improvement over the stock capacity. Rubber side down, Dave

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was at the Clark site and disappointed that they do not offer a replacement tank for the DR200? They have (2) available for the DR250/350 dirt & street models only. The picture is very vague, can't see if mounting is same or not. Maybe Acerbis might have one?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts