TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I just missed an 03 TW for 1200, I've been looking at bikes. I came across this one https://desmoines.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1992-suzuki-dr350s/6325277079.html and went and took a look at it. Seems like a solid bike, but an absolute PITA to start. I rode it and I like it, but the starting is an issue. The owner said that when it was rebuilt, he thought it had a bigger wiseco piston, so it probably bumped the compression up. Is there anything that can e done to make these things start easier? That is the deal breaker for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Depends on your definition of PITA

The thing you should be thinking about, is you come off that thing, you’d better have a fully functioning right leg (and everything above it), or else you’re stuck ….

·
Registered
779 Posts
DR 350s are known for being a little hard to kick start. They are typically worse when they get hot as well. Mine is electric start only, which brings in a whole additional set of issues, but I would not want to kick it all the time. There is a good DR350 thread on ADV rider that has several discussions on estart alternatives and which models can be adapted. It will take a bit of searching but here is the thread itself. DR350 Thread | Adventure Rider

·
Registered
285 Posts
Try to kick start a hot flooded out Honda XR650R. Now that's a PITA. That little 350 shouldn't be much of a problem. Remember compression stroke only.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't think it is the difficulty of kicking the 350, I think it was the motor including timing, cams and carb in Combination that made it finicky. I

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just picked up a '94 DR350 (electric only) because the owner could not get running and, when he did, it ran bad. $350.00, 5400 miles. Very clean, Corbin seat, other mods.

Typical CV carb problems were found on carb rebuild. It now runs strong and starts on the second rev of the electric starter. I just applied normal TW maintenance techniques, simple.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
How about a picture of that smokin deal? :D
Just picked up a '94 DR350 (electric only) because the owner could not get running and, when he did, it ran bad. $350.00, 5400 miles. Very clean, Corbin seat, other mods.

Typical CV carb problems were found on carb rebuild. It now runs strong and starts on the second rev of the electric starter. I just applied normal TW maintenance techniques, simple.

·
Registered
913 Posts
20171109_171104.jpg
The carb still needs deeper cleaning but it runs strong.

Winter is the best time to buy motorcycles. This DR350 is 20+ years old but only 5400 miles. $350.00 YOU BET!

The only problem is this one only took about 4 hours to get going. I guess we need a "basket case".:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts