TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need brakes. I can live with taking 2 blocks to get up to speed, but I don't want to wait 2 blocks to get it stopped.

And I had a set of Suzuki DR650 forks.

DR650 forks claim to have 10.2" of travel. That's probably optimistic. More importantly, you can reverse the position of a spacer inside the forks and shorten them by 1.5". I wanted to try the 21" front tire, so I shortened the forks. If I were to lace an 18" rim on the DR hub, I would probably add the travel back.

I used the triples, forks, tire, and brakes from a 1996-2011 DR650.

DR650 on the left, TW200 on the right.

The stem has already been pressed out of the Suzuki triples.

The TW200 stem is welded into the lower triple, so a new stem is needed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A minor clearance issue cropped up. The bottom of the frame tube interferes slightly with the bottom triple. After considering several redesigns, I clearanced the bottom triple and moved on.

A spacer is required at the top triple, but I was able to use the All Balls tapered bearing kit for the TW200.

A small extension was welded to the steering stop on the frame tube.

The TW200 ignition switch fits in the DR650 upper clamp if you add a couple of washers to space the lock down. The steering lock would take more work, I didn't bother.

The DR650 speedometer and warning lights were the easy solution.

The brakes are amazing. I'm busy trying to pretend it's summer now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You do beautiful work; your bike is a piece of art.
Did you mount a Continental, TKC80 tire, or an IRC, TR-8 tire on your 21-inch, front wheel?

Spud

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Your T Dub looks like an M1 Abrams Tank...as if nothing can stop it.

That back tire looks HUGE...

That is why this forum is so great. We all can do whatever WE want to OUR bike. Others may be think it IS or ISN'T cool. But at the end of the day, WE the T Dub owner can still love our own.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you mount a Continental, TKC80 tire, or an IRC, TR-8 tire on your 21-inch, front wheel?

Spud

It's the IRC TR-8 "Battle Rally". I had an 18" rear TR-8 on the front before. Both are a great tire, but so far I prefer the 21". It turns much nicer, and floats less.

How many miles are on the Yongshen now? That bike is the real piece of art!

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's the IRC TR-8 "Battle Rally". I had an 18" rear TR-8 on the front before. Both are a great tire, but so far I prefer the 21". It turns much nicer, and floats less.

How many miles are on the Yongshen now? That bike is the real piece of art!
Thank you for the kind words.
I have now ridden my Zong for 39,500 miles. Like the Yamaha TW200, the Zongshen 200GY-2 is a tough little motorcycle.

I thought your front tire was an IRC TR-8; I guessed correctly!
I think I am going to mount a size 3.00-21, TR-8 tire on the front wheel of my recently acquired, Honda XR650L.
I might also experiment with this same tire on the front wheel of my Zong.

Spud

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am going to mount a size 3.00-21, TR-8 tire on the front wheel of my recently acquired, Honda XR650L.
I might also experiment with this same tire on the front wheel of my Zong.

Spud

I can heartily recommend either the IRC TR-8, or the Michelin T-63. The Michelin's are a bargain, currently around $55 each at Motorcycle Superstore. Plus, they come in the 17" size that need for my DR650 rear tire.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am constantly amazed at the ingenuity of some of you!! Great work and fantastic fabrication skills Dyno. I wish I had someone that talented close by so I could learn in exchange of beer!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I almost forgot the best part.

I found this too late to help with this project, but All Balls has a bearing cross reference database setup on their website. Plug in your bike, and it spits out a bunch of trple clamps that might fit, as well as the part numbers for the bearings you will need. It opens up a lot of possiblities....

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconvertion

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Good lord Dave, how you torture us.. Yu seem to ride out to that ship alot. Do you off-load something of great value that allows you to finance your "SPECIAL" mods... I suspect you are 'smuggling' in extended swing-arms from Japan.............

Bike looks GREAT! but the extra beer I drank suggests I am not of right mine (d). Bike looks great, but unfortunately I am not in a position to expound upon how much you offer 'US'. Thanks, Gerry

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's some seriously awesome & very useful info!!
OK, so now that you've cleared up the FRONT wheel. . ..

WTF IS UP WITH THAT BACK WHEEL?!?!? That thing is NUTS! What is it/where'd ja get it/how'd ja do it/etc.!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
That's some seriously awesome & very useful info!!
OK, so now that you've cleared up the FRONT wheel. . ..

WTF IS UP WITH THAT BACK WHEEL?!?!? That thing is NUTS! What is it/where'd ja get it/how'd ja do it/etc.!
ATV tire on a trailer wheel adapted to a TW hub. Tubeless goodness. Awesome, ain't it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dyno,

Not to hijack your thread but in your link, to the rear trailer tire, is locked for commenting. So here I am. With the 12x4 wheel and 25x8x12 tire, how much clearance do you have between the tire and swing arm and between the tire and chain? I can get my hands on a 12x5 wheel and I am wondering if it may make the tire to wide to clear the swingarm? I might have to look for a 25x7x12 tire to make sure I have enough clearance.

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Dyno,

Not to hijack your thread but in your link, to the rear trailer tire, is locked for commenting. So here I am. With the 12x4 wheel and 25x8x12 tire, how much clearance do you have between the tire and swing arm and between the tire and chain? I can get my hands on a 12x5 wheel and I am wondering if it may make the tire to wide to clear the swingarm? I might have to look for a 25x7x12 tire to make sure I have enough clearance.

Thanks!

Ryan

We have not heard much from Dyno over the last year so I hope he sees your post. He sure did a great job on the bike. Gerry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That would be disappointing, maybe I will end up biting the bullet and experiment a little.

Thanks!

Ryan

Still alive. I'm over at ADV frequently, user name Dyno. Feel free to PM me if I'm missing anything good, like a Baja attempt or something.

There should be enough tire clearance with a 5" rim, especially if you have the axle further back in the adjusting slot. You will have to clearance the center of the rim a bit to clear your axle.

Let me know if you build one. I'm kind of surprised that someone else hasn't done it yet. I thought about making some more up, but then I started looking at all the revisions I needed / wanted to make, and decided to go for a ride instead.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Can you measure the distance between the DR upper fork tubes, please? Are they wide enough for a 5.10 tire?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts