TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an almost new take-off DR650 fuel tank (complete w/ cap and fuel valve for $100) - picking it up tomorrow.

It is a steel, 3.4 gallon factory Suzuki tank. Me thinks it will fit TW with a little help. The Clarke tank is plastic, and only 2.8 gallons - so at less then 1/2 the price, I am going to give the DR tank a try. The fuel valve is on the LH side, so that is good.

I will post pics / report when completed.

Wish me luck!

DR.jpg

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a KLR tank and I thought about putting it on the TW so I gave it a try.
It will fit!
It will need some adjustments though.

Like cutting it into 8 pieces, removing sections of length, width, and height.
Then welding the jigsaw back together, hammering it sort of smooth, covering it with bondo and sanding it down, then paint.

I have a DR tank on the shelf so I am also interested in what you find out. :cool:

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
good looking tank, i hope it fits easily enough and works well.

looks like the petcock is farther forward and should work beter than others that are squished against the frame.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
In all seriousness, I wonder what other OEM tanks from different bikes would fit with little hassle. The KLR would definitely be over the top as far as weight goes, and I highly doubt it would fit without a bunch of modding. But there has to be others out there. The TW tank has got to be one of the smallest on a street legal bike out there.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just did a quick test fit. NO WAY the DR650 tank fitting on the TW. The tank wings are too narrow and the forks will not fit between them (when turned) unless I mount the tank way back past the shock.

Sorry - wasted time and $$$. I will be posting it for sale at ADVrider for $100 + shipping. The good news is it is in almost new condition and complete.

FACE = PALM

So, who is going to try a different tank next?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hey nice try.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
It should be test fit on Friday night. If all goes well, I might have it painted Admiral style by Sunday night.
wilbur willie pink?

bummer it didn't fit.
i'm still a big fan of the xt225, easy fit, looks great and gives me a 150+ mile range. not huge, but an extra 40+ miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts