TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal I got this 00 dr650 and really love the bike......but it does have one or two issues that need addressed. #1 the seat. #2 the kick stand. I am going to make a seat for it cause I can't spend a lot on a custom made aftermarket all though I did buy a procycle seat and it's ok but not for the distance I will be riding it (500+miles a day) for 2 weeks in august. I got a airhawk for it but it does not work well with the procycle seat (to high). I put 2in handle bar risers on it and they made a big difference for comfort but the seat slopes forward and that is very uncomfortable, the stock seat has the same slope to. I don't want to cut up the new procycle seat so I will make a new seat pan and go from there. I don't care what the seat ends up looking like as long as it is comfy. I will take it off and put the other back on for normal riding. But maybe somebody has a good idea there?? ok the kick stand I think is to tall and when the bike is loaded it will be unusable so I was wondering if anybody here has put one of the center stands on and do they work ok? or do I buy or make a new kickstand that is shorter? what else do I need to think about for this cross country ride any insights will be appreciated. 20150320_103332.jpg

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I've had 4 seats on my DR, the stock seat, the DR gel seat, a Sargent seat, and a custom seat. I'm still looking for one that's comfortable.

I don't have a center stand, but I did put on the DR "short" sidestand.

You may have better luck with advice on the drriders forum:

www.DRRiders.com

jb

·
Registered
297 Posts
Centerstand would definitely be a nice addition for you on a long journey. They're great for maintaining/ lubing chain, removing rear tire in case of flat, and aids in removing front tire as well, with something propped under skid plate. One of the essential ingredients of any ADV bike, imo.-Glenn

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I have the center stand easy to install a little hard to get it up on the stand and I have the Sargent low seat with the sheepskin cover. 10337248_10202756929236413_2090480263_o.jpg

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
This is on the procycle site on the sheepskin cover.
This is the secret for being able to put in those 500 mile days. Even a good touring seat can feel a bit firm after a couple hundred miles. Sheepskin gives that little bit of 'cush' and provides superior air circulation. Velcro straps allow easy removal when you don't need it. Measures 14" wide by 19" long.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Procycle also sales the silver side stand $60. for the lower bike setting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've tried just about everything, the best solution is: BeadRider ? Beaded Motorcycle Seats Try a Beadrider and you will find that the big buck seats are not necessary. What you need is air circulation to keep your a$$ dry......the other thing to consider if you plan on day after day of high mileage, is a pair of XL pantyhose. I know, sounds a little strange but cut them off at the knees and they will provide a slick surface so your skin isn't aggravated by rubbing against your riding pants. You can buy special purpose underwear that will do the same if you feel the need to to spend money.

·
Registered
177 Posts
500 mile days are long and hard to be on a stock DR. I have the bar raiser's as well and they are a must have. I Get Bye with the Colman ATV seat pad and stock seat but still would not attempt a 500 mile day. The sheep skin just might be the extra needed but wonder how fun it would be when it gets wet. I have the center stand as well and it's another must have. No idea why the stock kicker is too long it sucks but if you get a shorter stand for it you'll be fine but having a center stand is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
- my seats need to allow me to make 1500+ miles in a day...sometimes over 2000 miles in a day.
And yes, I am serious.
Ermmmm - 2000 miles dived by 24 hours equals just over 83mph (non-stop, not even for fuel) :rolleyes:

Gumball rally ?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
.....the best solution is to have a RDL seat made (Russell Day Long saddle... ........
Good advice on the seat, Mike. I may try one myself.

Did you miss this part of the OP's post? Or are you volunteering to buy it for him? ;)

" I am going to make a seat for it cause I can't spend a lot on a custom made aftermarket....."

jb

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok come on guys did you look at my bio??? 25 years as a auto tech and now I own a upholstery shop. I have some skills:p but just very busy at my shop...just trying to find a easy way to get what I need done. I work a lot of hours as it is(and like to ride when I am not working). I can spend the money if I have to but I blew my bike budget....(so my wife says). I have a sheepskin on the bike and it helped but the main problem is the seat angle. I guess I need to load up the bike and see where it sits and maybe it will be ok? but I think I will try making one and incorporating my airhawk in it. but thank you all for the advice:) I never gave a thought to the clothes I would need. I think I will buy a center stand and bend my kick stand a little to. I think I will also try to find a stock seat pan and modify it. so if any body has one of those for sale let me know thanks all:)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
TWilight- Mike has close to 2 millions logged and certified Miles on two wheels so he is the expert I will shut my mouth now.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Also if I piss him off he can ride RT from Washington state to Arizona in 24 hours and kick my ass!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Mike, there's no dispute over the quality and comfort of the Russell seat. I've spent more on the multiple seats for the DR than a Russell would cost.

Can you do something about the "ugly" factor? :)

What stitch pattern did you order for your eleven seats?

jb

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have no major disagreement that Russell makes a fine seat, I even had one on my DR for awhile. But, you have never seen a more goofy looking seat on a 650 dual sport. It's probably 4 or 5 inches wider.....on both sides, than the stock DR seat and looks stupid on the DR. I would draw an analogy of running 150 MPH tires on a bone stock 67 VW with a oil cooler on the roof and a wing on the engine cover......does that paint a picture of how stupid the Russell looks on a DR? Comfort, no argument, but Beadrider will set you back chump change compared to a Russell.......save your Russell money for a proper long distance motorcycle, not a DR.

Limited budget was an issue right?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have no major disagreement that Russell makes a fine seat, I even had one on my DR for awhile. But, you have never seen a more goofy looking seat on a 650 dual sport. It's probably 4 or 5 inches wider.....on both sides, than the stock DR seat and looks stupid on the DR. I would draw an analogy of running 150 MPH tires on a bone stock 67 VW with a oil cooler on the roof and a wing on the engine cover......does that paint a picture of how stupid the Russell looks on a DR? Comfort, no argument, but Beadrider will set you back chump change compared to a Russell.......save your Russell money for a proper long distance motorcycle, not a DR.

well my wife is a little tired of me spending money on bike stuff:rolleyes: so trying to get stuff done a little cheaper if I can(and time is a factor also)so.....and I will never buy a true street bike ever!!! I just can't do it. I can not limit myself to the pavement only and a dr is much more capable for the riding I do than anything else in my price range. even all my rigs are 4 wheel drive :)

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I would just stop every 100 miles and walk around get gas take a piss ect.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
does that paint a picture of how stupid the Russell looks on a DR? Comfort, no argument, but Beadrider will set you back chump change compared to a Russell.......save your Russell money for a proper long distance motorcycle, not a DR.

I have to agree on the looks of the Russell on a narrow bike like the DR.

And yes, I thought the budget was a primary concern.

Here's the Beadrider on the bike that took me cross country and back. The Beadrider made the trip tolerable.

jb

1 - 20 of 33 Posts