TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it was from a French site. I'd like to learn more about the conversion before buying a DR650 basket case.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd forgot about the XT conversion. Thanks for the reminder.

I bought a DR650 in pieces yesterday for $65US. Engine is out and top end off. Chassis is disasembled for painting. Needs a piston, rings, maybe valves. At least the previous owner didn't crack the cases for no reason.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Qwerty,

You made a good choice there. Last year I bought a Suzuki XF650 Freewind (daft name i know) to replace my aging Honda XL600lmf it has the same engine as a DR650 but twin carbs. The engine is smooth as you like for a big thumper, cruise at 75-80 hardly any vibration at all. To be honest it makes the Honda engine feel like an agricultural machine. The XF650 is more street biased but able to do unmade roads and easy fire roads ect. See the link below, are they available in the states.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/916/images/02STYR_H3R-01.jpg

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Qwerty: You found one for only $65.00? Good for you! A fellow down the road wanted $1500.00 for a non-runner! After taking a hard look and telling him what I found would have to be done to get it back on the road I offered $500.00. "Nope" I know it's worth alot more than that. Guess he found a sucker as it's no longer in his yard.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The DR I bought is in rough shape. It's in boxes. Supposedly was burning oil until dumped at speed on a rural road. Tank is bashed. Frame looks straight, I think I can straighten the forks. Front rim is bent beyond truing, rear might be usable, but the wrecker threw a j-hook between the spokes and literally drug the bike up the side of the ditch. Connecting rod feels tight, piston ring groove will require boring. I'll grind the valves as a matter of course since the engine is already apart. Can't find the steering stem bearings. Probably lots of other bits missing. I've already printed off the parts catalog. When it warms up a little I'll take a better inventory. Might not be worth fixing with the price of parts these days. If not, I have a gokart with a blown engine.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
The DR I bought is in rough shape. It's in boxes. Supposedly was burning oil until dumped at speed on a rural road. Tank is bashed. Frame looks straight, I think I can straighten the forks. Front rim is bent beyond truing, rear might be usable, but the wrecker threw a j-hook between the spokes and literally drug the bike up the side of the ditch. Connecting rod feels tight, piston ring groove will require boring. I'll grind the valves as a matter of course since the engine is already apart. Can't find the steering stem bearings. Probably lots of other bits missing. I've already printed off the parts catalog. When it warms up a little I'll take a better inventory. Might not be worth fixing with the price of parts these days. If not, I have a gokart with a blown engine.
Ahh.. The curse of the Basket Case Rebuild! Where you end up spending as much or more than buying a runner or even a new bike. Been there done that.Now if I could just apply that knowledge to old bicycles.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could make a profit parting it out, and I really don't care much about Suzukis.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. You did however make my C-50 cry with the crack about not caring about Suzuki's.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a good idea. You did however make my C-50 cry with the crack about not caring about Suzuki's.
Just remind your 50 she isn't a Harley. All better.

·
Registered
567 Posts
the XT600E 1990-1995 conversion works because it uses an offset sprocket different from the earlier 600's, It also features wider downtubes spacing by the front of the swingarm pivot. The chain throw barely clears and is just offset enough. I have no idea if the same is true of the Suzuki DR.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I really want is an XT660X, but those are not sold here.
When I win the lottery I'll take a trip to Europe, ride around a few weeks to put on enough kilometers the beauracrats will consider it used, then fly it home. I think I'll have to change over the lights and tires to meet DOT regs, but that should be about it. I also want an extra set of wheels--there are a few DOT knobbies coming available for those 17-inch motard wheels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts