TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I was fiddling with my engine the other day and a plastic, tube 'end' came off, it seemed like it was covered in oil, and im not sure which tube its supposed to go onto. I was wondering if anyone could help me out :D

Also my bike is suffering from an oil leak....im wondering if its to do with this plastic/rubber/end thingy that came off

If any helps available much appreciation!

·
Registered
788 Posts
There's an overflow tube on the carburetor, and it threads loosely through the frame (lower than the carb). Check to see if that's it.
Also, if you have a lead/acid battery, some of them have breather tubes that can come off easily. My bet is on the carb overflow tube.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
That is the airbox drain tube. It serves to collect excess oil and liquids that accumulate in your airbox. If you still have the spring clip, just clean out the tube and press it back onto the outlet on the bottom of your airbox. If you had a large amount oil in there, that might explain the oil leak that you reported.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soooooo, as it turns out that was exactly what the thing i described above was.

It turns out that my oil leak is coming from the air filter basically, and that thing that collects excess oil is getting filled up all the way with a 1 to 2 hour ride of the bike. My understanding is that the top end of my engine needs to be rebuilt. Its an 08 model so its had some use, I think its just old. But yeah the piston? i guess is pumping oil up into that air filter, which is definitely bad. xD

·
Registered
788 Posts
How much oil?
What's the milage on your bike?
Is it smoking (burning oil)?

·
Super Moderator
5,440 Posts
The only way that plugged hose would repeatedly fill up with oil is if there is either excess oil in the filter foam, or if there is excess pressure in the crankcases

In the case of the filter foam being saturated, it’s easy enough to check – remove and squeeze – it should be “mildly moist”, but not “dripping”

Excess crankcase pressure has three primary causes – too much oil, fuel in the oil raising the level, or blow-back from the piston rings

If the oil level is raised, it will show in the window. Ensure your bike is level when checking this, both vertically and laterally. Should the level prove to be higher than “normal”, remove filler cap, and “sniff”. If it smells like petrol, assume that the carb is letting by fuel when parked – we recommend turning off the petcock when not in use for exactly this reason

Should the level prove to be correct, check compression …..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts