TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Some time back someone had a thread about Where would yourdream ride be.

I said mine would be in Thailand. Well I made it there in Dec.but did not get to do it on a motorcycle. Did it in a van with 9 other people.

There was over 1864 curves(we took some side trips). One part was 51 miles and 762 curves.

I still plan on doing it on a motorcycle.

Arrowsmith

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
My dream ride would be where ever I happen to be on a beautiful day, low traffic, and wide open spaces. I once considered some of the best bicycle rides I've taken and assume that they would work for motorcycles too.

1. The rim of the Grand Canyon - hey on the mc why not go all the way around the main canyon.

2. Kings Canyon - It was a guy on a tw 200 starting out from Sequoia NP campground to do the Kings Canyon on a spring day that convinced me I need to look at a TW. I still want to do that ride with its myriad of curves, lonesome roads on the right day, and deep canyon scenes.

3. Redwoods region. There is something exciting and humbling about being an ant sized body in a staggeringly tall forest. Being on the motorcycle would top it all.

4. Anza-Borrego State Park in southern California. Space, space, space if you pick the right day.

5. Oh you want to play internationally. I'd love to ride the Andes from Ecuador to Chile. I've done most of it on a bus, but on the bike it would be a real ride and adventure.

6. I know a hundred Pacific Islands that it would be good fun to circumnavigate on the bike, stopping to drink a beer, eat some fish, take a swim and talk to the locals. Try Pohnpei in the Federates States, or Palau for starters.

7. Oh, did I forget the Great Smokey mountains and any number of great rides back east where the trees are greener than green and the music, food, and folks justify a stop just about every hour.

I've shown my biases, lets hear yours. Tom

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dream ride would be where ever I happen to be on a beautiful day, low traffic, and wide open spaces. I once considered some of the best bicycle rides I've taken and assume that they would work for motorcycles too.

1. The rim of the Grand Canyon - hey on the mc why not go all the way around the main canyon.

2. Kings Canyon - It was a guy on a tw 200 starting out from Sequoia NP campground to do the Kings Canyon on a spring day that convinced me I need to look at a TW. I still want to do that ride with its myriad of curves, lonesome roads on the right day, and deep canyon scenes.

3. Redwoods region. There is something exciting and humbling about being an ant sized body in a staggeringly tall forest. Being on the motorcycle would top it all.

4. Anza-Borrego State Park in southern California. Space, space, space if you pick the right day.

5. Oh you want to play internationally. I'd love to ride the Andes from Ecuador to Chile. I've done most of it on a bus, but on the bike it would be a real ride and adventure.

6. I know a hundred Pacific Islands that it would be good fun to circumnavigate on the bike, stopping to drink a beer, eat some fish, take a swim and talk to the locals. Try Pohnpei in the Federates States, or Palau for starters.

7. Oh, did I forget the Great Smokey mountains and any number of great rides back east where the trees are greener than green and the music, food, and folks justify a stop just about every hour.

I've shown my biases, lets hear yours. Tom
I have done the North Rim of the Grand Canyon,the Redwoods,Smokey Mountains,Glacier national park,Yellow Stone,Highway 50, some back roads in Utah, and more. Ben doing this since 1966.

First road trip was from Amarillo Texas to here in Missouri,half of it in th rain. Never had a car untill 1970.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I like this kind of thinking! But I wonder if "great" rides are at least in part a product of a certain attitude. I've done a lot of cycling, including a solo, cross country trip some time ago. I've also covered some serious miles on large displacement Japanese sport tourers. For me, the TW lets me combine both. I can carry all the gear I want, go fairly fast if I feel like; but I can wander down an alluring side road or trail at 10 MPH and let the beckoning magic of sun and shadow take me to places and people that truly enrich my life. Ah, I remember a beautiful Irish girl working in a small cafe in central Missour: the memory of that night still makes me smile...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are doing the ride at the moment it is a reality ride. If you have done the ride in the past it is a memory ride. It is only a dream ride if it is one you dream about taking. That would be like dreaming about ridding the TAT on a TW,or doing RT.66 , Hy 50 or dreaming the snow would go away so you can ride.

If you have done it or are doing it it is no longer a dream

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Referring to Hwy 50, do you mean across Nevada? And part of Utah? Hwy 50 in Calif is a fairly busy road.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Hiway 54 from Tucamcari, NM east through a bit of bit of TX, bit of OK, some Kansas, a lot of Missouri (including the lake country), and Illinois is a real view of America (not the Natl Parks, western panoramas, but real America at a decent pace. I've often thought about that one as an ideal ride for the TW. Rt 50 through suburban Wash DC would be one to stay awake on too, but it could be done. So many roads, so little time. Tom

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Some roads are so good they retain dream status even after being ridden. There are a number of roads I hope to ride again.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Hwy 36 in NorCal is a fun road. 140 miles of twists and turns through some really nice country, from Red Bluff to Hydesviille. The middle third, which is about the only part I am interested in, goes through National Forest so the dirt road possibilities are endless.

The coast highway Hwy 1 is nice too, especially from north of San Luis Obispo, but south of SLO is nice too.

Search You Tube for either and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Referring to Hwy 50, do you mean across Nevada? And part of Utah? Hwy 50 in Calif is a fairly busy road.
I have done HY 50 from DC to CA, It took two different trips to do it. I live one block from RT.66 and about 20 miles from HY.50. HY 60 is another good ride. I have only done part of it. This wasn't on a TW.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Has anyone rode in the bad lands NP ? My wife and I are thinking of loading the old F-150 up and doing some day rides from the motel.. The Tdubs ride quite nicely in the old girl.. Are most roads hard pack? OMM.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Some time back someone had a thread about Where would yourdream ride be.

I said mine would be in Thailand. Well I made it there in Dec.but did not get to do it on a motorcycle. Did it in a van with 9 other people.

There was over 1864 curves(we took some side trips). One part was 51 miles and 762 curves.

I still plan on doing it on a motorcycle.

Arrowsmith

I was in Chiang Mai in December. Was thinking of renting a bike and doing the Mae Hong Son loop up into the mountains, but memories of my bad accident a couple years ago made me pause.

Did do a 3 day loop out of Chiang Rai around twenty years ago, as well as more stuff in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. Didn't worry about accidents then!

Thailand:

Cambodia:

Laos:

My dream ride would be through the States. Would love to take a summer and just explore the whole country. Would like to do it on a Harley though, I think, for the full 'US' experience.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The name of the game is to turn the dream ride into the ride I did yesterday and I'm looking to extend sometime soon. Pleasure and good memories hinge on moments, hours, days, and months of activity that are pleasant to recall and to prod others to match or extend. This thread has my juices flowing. Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts