TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would prefer not to grind the indexing tabs off of my throttle control mount; I would prefer to drill holes in my new ProTaper SE bars so that the tabs can still fit in there and prevent the throttle from rotating on the bars. At this point, I'm fairly certain that a couple of roughly 1/8 inch holes (I haven't measured or anything yet) will not cause any significant structural integrity issues that I should be concerned about. So I'm pretty much planning on doing this. I just wanted to see what you guys think. I should note that I will have very strong HDB Ultimate handguards on the bars, which will connect from a bolt-mount on the end of the bar, to bolts mounting the other end of the guard to the handlebar top clamp. This of course should add structural integrity to the bars. So all things considered, I don't think I would ever need to be worried about the bars breaking - at least surely not unless I have a serious crash (as in, not while I'm riding the damn thing...). So anyway, let me know what you think people, thanks.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
I say grind off the tabs, it's much easier. That's what I did when I replaced my bars. Both of the pieces with tabs can now be moved by hand even though the bolts are as tight as possible, but you really have to force it on purpose; it's not like they move when you hit the killswitch or anything. I seriously doubt drilling holes would weaken the bars in any significant way, but it seems to me like more work than it's worth.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Either way will be fine, both methods have been used here before. ;)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks for confirming, guys. This is what I was thinking. Even with rubber or electrical tape to help stop the control from sliding, it drives me crazy. I ground the tabs off for my KLX setup, and I can't stand it that way. I want to know that I can yank back on the throttle HARD and hang on tight, and it's not going to go anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
A couple 1/8 inch holes won't matter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts